Engine overhaul shop feedback

No body does cranks or cams in shop any more.

Show me in the overhaul manual where you can't send that stuff out.

I'm thinking you are trying to rationalize high prices the major overhaul shops charge.

I can beat you on quality and price every time.
Exactly.

At a big shop, Joe Schmuck on the assembly line has to account for all his hours. Fixing any screw-ups mess with his daily output, so he passes the work along and hopes it gets noticed and fixed by the next guy on the line. Taking responsibility costs time and makes him look bad.

I've seen engines go through the overhaul process and make it all the way to the shipping department before anyone spoke up and said the cylinders weren't painted. Typical "not my job".

A small, local shop where people are accountable beats a big McEngines r Us anyday. Look at Kelly/Hartzell. They manufacture decent magneto and turbo parts but any reman mag or turbo coming from them is absolute crap that shouldn't be on an airboat.

We use to call overhauls done in the field by mechanics "shadetree overhauls"

Ever stop to think, every overhaul done out side the manufacturers facility is a field overhaul?

Mark Mattituck off your list.
A year ago the company was sold to off-shore.

http://suffolktimes.timesreview.com...o-purchase-mattituck-aircraft-engine-company/

My internet buddy Mahlon Russell confirmed that the pink slips were handed out in NY last week.

I hope Malhon finds a berth quickly; for those of us on the Yahoo Lycoming forum he is a real God-send. He offers advise, part numbers and specs to anyone and everyone with a Lycoming...all on his own time and dime...

Chris

Last edited:
Mark Mattituck off your list.
A year ago the company was sold to off-shore.

http://suffolktimes.timesreview.com...o-purchase-mattituck-aircraft-engine-company/

My internet buddy Mahlon Russell confirmed that the pink slips were handed out in NY last week.

I hope Malhon finds a berth quickly; for those of us on the Yahoo Lycoming forum he is a real God-send. He offers advise, part numbers and specs to anyone and everyone with a Lycoming...all on his own time and dime...

Chris

That is exactly why I deal with ECI. Trace the company roots.

I totally disagree with that. There are often special tools involved, and special test equipment too (a magnaflux machine comes to mind to check the crankshaft for example.) Precision measuring tools are required to be calibrated or re-certified periodically. Of course, you are also required to have the latest revision of the applicable technical references in front of you (the "book" you mentioned) - i.e. the manufacturer's overhaul manual and service limit specifications for example. Not something that the average garden variety A&P gets in his ATP manuals subscription.

I worked for 10 years as the lead mechanic at a shop that included both engine and propeller overhaul shops. It was also a major Lycoming parts distributor. We use to call overhauls done in the field by mechanics "shadetree overhauls" and frankly I'd doubt that you'd find that many mechanics who would be willing to do one and sign it off under his own certificate - taking on all of the responsibility and liability himself. You might just get exactly what you paid for - a cheap job.

Farm out all magnafux/zygote jobs, costs a few K.

Reassemble using factory manuals to factory new specs.

How is that different from Lyc doing the job other than a "0" TT and a warranty that will likely run out before you need it?:dunno:

Farm out all magnafux/zygote jobs, costs a few K.

Reassemble using factory manuals to factory new specs.

How is that different from Lyc doing the job other than a "0" TT and a warranty that will likely run out before you need it?:dunno:

Doing the custom field over haul you can control the costs by not throwing good parts away. If I disassemble a 0-300 and find the crank is a new standard coming out, I do not have to send that in for re-grind, I can do the mag particle inspection given in the book and save you $800. and this crank will be good to go for a later overhaul and re-grind at next TBO. These cranks are getting rare, keep re-grinding them at each overhaul and you will wear them out in the machine shop.

doing the field overhaul you can select the cylinders you think are best. doing the factory overhaul you probably won't get your good parts back, you may get a crank that is at minimum standard and can't be overhauled at the next TBO. and cylinders that may be at the largest allowed and can't be re-bored again, so at mid life of the engine when you need cylinder work you'll find they are junk and you'll be buying a different set.

I am happy with my G&N overhaul. The shop selection was not mine to
make, but their IO-470 overhaul has been trouble-free in the first 270 hours.

I would look favorably on Zephyr ... because of Charlie M.

An acquaintance "in the business" *really* likes Monte Barrett in Tulsa.

Frankly; if I was making the decision, for myself, today ... I'd probably choose
G&N ... because they are within a few hundred miles and have a reasonable
reputation. I like to do business close(r) to home. There are advantages to being within
reasonable driving distance, in the event that the situation is not going as expected and
you need to place both hands firmly around someone's throat.

You also might want to ask around re: Poplar Grove Airmotive.

The (recovering) mechanical engineer in me likes sub-gram, dynamic
balancing of all the reciprocating masses. I *think* Barrett sweats
those details ... and I'd expect to pay extra for such boutique services.
A buddy in t.h.a.t. business participated in his overhaul ... and his IO-520
is almost "turbine smooth."

Last edited:
Back