Engine out procedure with hard to start when hot.

tecprotb

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim RV10
Engine out procedure with hard to start when hot.
I have a IO 540 (fuel injected) and is hard to start when hot. So if I have a engine out, and try a restart will it be as hard to start in the air as it is on the ground? Would I use a different procedure in the air than on the ground?
I'm still trying to find the best procedure for a hot start, so far full throttle and zero mixture seems to work best but not all the time, its very frustrating.
Thanks for the input.
Tim

Mixture to cut-off in an engine-out procedure?

That's completely wrong. This is not a hot restart. Read your POH. It has a procedure that precisely answers your question.

It won't be a hot start in the air. The hot start come in when the fuel is baked and boiled when you are on the ground engine idling or off.

What plane, and what fuel injector system?

My -10 has a bypass valve that I can run the fuel boost pump and push cool fuel through the entire fuel system up to the spider. I run it for 45 seconds, 1/4 throttle, mixture 1/2, and slowing push in the bypass valve as the starter is cranking. Works every time. :D

Last edited:
What Geico said -- not an issue in flight due to the 100 knots or so of airflow through the engine compartment. As for hot starts on the ground, POH procedures have always worked best for me in every FI-engine airplane I've flown. They're not the same in all planes, but the book procedure for each plane is usually the most effective in that plane.

Makes perfect sense guys, hopefully I will get comfortable enough to test it under the right conditions.
As far as the POH goes I need to research Lycoming procedures, my plane is a Experimental so the POH is lacking in terms of the engine.

What are the right conditions to try a restart while flying?

What are the right conditions to try a restart while flying?
In a twin, with the other engine running fine. Otherwise? Only if it happens for real. In the admittedly unlikely event of being unable to restart and then either coming up short or overshooting or ending up in the dirt because some fool cut me off (something that, according to the accident data, happens a couple of times a year), I couldn't stand having to explain deliberately having done this to an FAA inspector.

Last edited:
Makes perfect sense guys, hopefully I will get comfortable enough to test it under the right conditions.
As far as the POH goes I need to research Lycoming procedures, my plane is a Experimental so the POH is lacking in terms of the engine.

Google "Key Reprints from the Lycoming Flyer."

Bob Gardner

In a twin, with the other engine running fine. Otherwise? Only if it happens for real. In the admittedly unlikely event of being unable to restart and then either coming up short or overshooting or ending up in the dirt because some fool cut me off (something that, according to the accident data, happens a couple of times a year), I couldn't stand having to explain deliberately having done this to an FAA inspector.

What data is that?
I tend to watch ntsb reports pretty regularly and couldn't say I have ever read one where someone intentionally shut down a single engine resulting in an accident due to it not restarting.
Not saying they are not there but I certanly haven't been seeing them a couple times per year.

I do know of one that happened locally 20+ years ago, but that was in a T-Craft without a starter, and they intentially stopped the prop and were trying to ridge soar it. Where rather successful at the ridge soaring but the restart procedure by diving didn't work out.

Brian

What data is that?
I tend to watch ntsb reports pretty regularly and couldn't say I have ever read one where someone intentionally shut down a single engine resulting in an accident due to it not restarting.
Not saying they are not there but I certanly haven't been seeing them a couple times per year.
You should read more. In any event, it's a pointless risk, which is the sort of risk I choose not to take and the FAA discourages.

Directly over an airport with long runways and no traffic? :goofy:

Thats a procedure the mechanic uses when they want to get the first hour on a major engine repair,like a new cylinder or an overhaul. too many factors that to affect an engine out landing if the engine doesn't re start.

Back