Engine out practice gets real

It doesn't even sound as if the "trainer" was a CFI, given the wording, but that's today's journalism.

I hope to hell that the guy, whoever he was, didn't pull there mixture...

Looks like an ideal field for an emergency landing. Flat, smooth, not much vegetation.

The pilot doing the training (I sure hope he's a CFI) gets to meet this guy:

Capture.JPG

Sounds like it might've been a PPL holder doing a demo for a passenger. I'm wondering if he used the fuel cutoff valve and then had an issue getting the fuel flowing again. It goes without saying that most engine out demos involve pulling to idle. This'll be interesting.

That said, his demo was a success to some extent....they lived.

Cessna 150. O-200 engine, known far and wide for carb ice. Judging by the clouds, it wasn't particularly dry that day, and the risk of carb ice would be bad enough. If the glide was long enough, even if they had the carb heat on but didn't rev the engine once in a while to keep the mufflers hot, they'd easily get enough ice that the engine was dead on arrival. Those mufflers are really light and they cool quickly with idle power.

Why is that? I've accidentally done it, no big deal, engine comes right back up.
Me too, by accident (looks somewhat like my flap retraction knob). Comes right back. Leave it off for a couple minutes, say trying to practice an engine out landing and maybe it doesn't come back. Really good way to turn a simulated emergency into a real one. You can pull the power back to do engine out simulations. Isn't the same, but it isn't that much different either.

My instructor pulled the mixture once by mistake. Knowing how conservative she was, I knew it was a mistake and pushed it back in and pulled the throttle back myself.

Back