Engine options for a Glasair I ?

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
I'm horse trading for a Glasair I taildragger. It's dirt cheap because it's a high time 0-320.

That fine by me, because the plane is cheap enough to work on it and upgrade the engine later.

My question for any Glasair guru's is, Google as I might, I can't get a clear picture of just what you can put in a one. I'm assuming the G-I's are limited to a four cylinder engine? Can you put an IO-390 in an older Glasair I? A 540? This particular model I'm looking at is not the stretch version. Thanks in advance. :)

Unless you modify the cowling you're stuck with the 320/360 series. You could put one in a II because the cowling is bigger.

Have you sat in a I yet? Unless you and your passenger are small, it's gonna be a tight fit. If you're getting it cheap and you plan in just flying it single pilot, it could be a good deal. Little hot rod.

So it's just a matter of cowling modification?

And to answer your questions, no I have not sat in one yet, I'm worried about that. I'm 6'2" 190lbs. Not skinny, but not fat. With long legs. That could kill the deal right off the bat. The owner is aware of that. And yes, I would mainly be flying it alone.

Thanks for your reply.

So it's just a matter of cowling modification?

And to answer your questions, no I have not sat in one yet, I'm worried about that. I'm 6'2" 190lbs. Not skinny, but not fat. With long legs. That could kill the deal right off the bat. The owner is aware of that. And yes, I would mainly be flying it alone.

Thanks for your reply.

Unless it has the long cowl yes. I imagine W&B is going to be a bit tricky to get within limits as well. What you're talking about is like taking an RV4 and converting it into a Harmon Rocket. It can be done its just going to take some modifications.

N586JD is for sale on Controller right now. It's a I TD but with a 540. Maybe you can contact the seller and ask what mods he did to it.

First thing you gotta sit in it. I've taken people your height in mine but I had to take out the seat cushions to fit them. I'm all about recommending Glasairs to people but not the I. The II is a much improved version for larger people. Wish I would've saved a little more money and bought the II.

Unless it has the long cowl yes. I imagine W&B is going to be a bit tricky to get within limits as well. What you're talking about is like taking an RV4 and converting it into a Harmon Rocket. It can be done its just going to take some modifications.

N586JD is for sale on Controller right now. It's a I TD but with a 540. Maybe you can contact the seller and ask what mods he did to it.

First thing you gotta sit in it. I've taken people your height in mine but I had to take out the seat cushions to fit them. I'm all about recommending Glasairs to people but not the I. The II is a much improved version for larger people. Wish I would've saved a little more money and bought the II.

I told the guy I may sit in it and go "oh hell no!" He understands.

I've got to fly 420nautical to sit my butt down in it unless I can find a G-I soon.

That's why I asked, because I saw that 540 powered G-I and it confused me. Yeah, he wants four times what I've struck a deal for if I fit in this one I found. It's on controllers too. It's in Amarillo. The add is wrong. The owner is aware of it. It's a G-I, not a G-II.

http://www.controller.com/listingsd...LASAIR-II/1981-GLASAIR-GLASAIR-II/1283311.htm

Last edited:
I'm 6', 245 lbs. I had a Glasair 1 for a few years (O-320), it's a tight fit but not impossible. 320/360 is all I ever saw in a 1.

Particularly for the td it can work with a 540, even in a G1. It's just a question of gc, a little weight in the tail and you are good to go, especially if you go with the lighter 260hp 540. It would take a new cowl, or a significant stretch of the existing one and maybe other mods as well.
As for the size inside? I'm 6'2 and 220. My dad is same height and 250. We flew our G1ft just fine. You don't want a lot of cushion on the seat but it's doable, just a little friendly. We sold it when we finished our glastar, much more comfy but not as much fun or performance. Now, we are nearing completion of our Glasair III.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    739.5 KB · Views: 10
Particularly for the td it can work with a 540, even in a G1. It's just a question of gc, a little weight in the tail and you are good to go, especially if you go with the lighter 260hp 540. It would take a new cowl, or a significant stretch of the existing one and maybe other mods as well.
As for the size inside? I'm 6'2 and 220. My dad is same height and 250. We flew our G1ft just fine. You don't want a lot of cushion on the seat but it's doable, just a little friendly. We sold it when we finished our glastar, much more comfy but not as much fun or performance. Now, we are nearing completion of our Glasair III.

So the engine frame across the Glasair line are compatible/ready for an 0-540 regardless of SH-II or III? That's good to know. I don't know if I'll put a 540 in it ever, but it's good to know. And good to hear big guys can fit. I've got my fingers crossed on that one. ...

I figure the little 320 in it now will give me time to transition up from the 150m.p.h. I'm used to flying now. Then when it's time, I would either opt for and IO-390 if it will shoehorn in there with no cowl mods, or I would go with a strong 0-360.

I might go crazy and go with a 540, but it would have to be a deal on one that matched the value of the aircraft to a point. Otherwise, it may get a little underwater being a TD and a G-I. The I's are harder to sell, and the TD is the hardest to sell I'm willing to bet.

Last edited:
So the engine frame across the Glasair line are compatible/ready for an 0-540 regardless of SH-II or III? That's good to know. I don't know if I'll put a 540 in it ever, but it's good to know. And good to hear big guys can fit. I've got my fingers crossed on that one. ...

I figure the little 320 in it now will give me time to transition up from the 150m.p.h. I'm used to flying now. Then when it's time, I would either opt for and IO-390 if it will shoehorn in there with no cowl mods, or I would go with a strong 0-360.

I might go crazy and go with a 540, but it would have to be a deal on one that matched the value of the aircraft to a point. Otherwise, it may get a little underwater being a TD and a G-I. The I's are harder to sell, and the TD is the hardest to sell I'm willing to bet.

The biggest obstacle you may have with the 540 besides the cowl is the limited fuel capacity. The early glasair 1's were built with only about 38 gallons. That will limit what you can do with the airplane range.
For the 390 you would still need cowl modifications for sure, even with the 200hp lycoming 360 you would need to modify it. I think you would find the standard i0360B1E a very good engine in the glasair I, with 180hp you can still likely cruise at 180-190knots and burn a lot less fuel. No cowl modifications to do that.
The glasair IFT that I had only had 150hp, fixed pitch prop. Climb was only 5-800 FPM at gross on a warmer day but I still got 165knot cruise.

Back