Engine Monitors - 2 Years Later

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
The last discussion Insight v JPI v EI was in 2009. Two years in technology is a long time, almost an entire generation.

With the O360 going in for overhaul in a month or so, it's time to decide which one to order. Anyone have really strong opinions for/against any specific unit?

I've had both the US8A by EI and the 700EDM with fuel flow by JPI. At first I preferred the EI, but the JPI has grown on me, and I prefer it now.

The 310 has a JPI EDM 760 in it, which I've been using for the past 6 months or so. The Aztec has an Insight Gemini 1200 in it, which I've been using for a year and a half.

I prefer the JPI.

I have a JPI 830 in my 182 and like it. Because the installation cost is such a high portion of the total install I'd go for the unit with the most capability now as a difference in cost of a thousand for the unit does not mean much when the overall project is likely to run 5 or 6 k. I cannot stress enough how important getting the fuel flow option is. If you have a GPS the 830 interfaces with it and can give you fuel information for your flight plan.

I cannot stress enough how important getting the fuel flow option is. If you have a GPS the 830 interfaces with it and can give you fuel information for your flight plan.

I am glad you said that. While my 172 is in the shop having a GNS530W and new audio panel installed, the sales guy talked me into adding a JPI fuel flow monitor. I already have the JPI 700 (which I love/hate. It keeps alerting me to things that make me nervous, as it is supposed to do, like high CHT or shock cooling). I could have opted to add the fuel flow option to the 700 but since I was opening up a hole anyway by removing the old ADF and indicator I opted for the standalone fuel monitor. That way the fuel data is always visible and I don't have to wait for the 700 to cycle through everything else. I haven't yet convinced my wife that this was necessary so I will show her your post.

JPI in the Mooney,, and it saved our bacon once.

climbing out, I notice number one bar graph much higher than the others. Single step cycle thru, and yep, number one egt is 1580, the other three 1130. Not good, turn around and limp back to airport employing all cooling tactics.

Mechanic finds number one injector clogged.

climbing out, I notice number one bar graph much higher than the others. Single step cycle thru, and yep, number one egt is 1580, the other three 1130. Not good, turn around and limp back to airport employing all cooling tactics.

Btw, rich, we're in Tampa for the NCAAs!

That's a good point. I had a similar thing happen on the 310. On climb out, the right engine just sounded like it was running poorly. Oh my, the #6 CHT is at 470 and climbing at full rich. That ain't right... pulled that engine back and cooled it off.

The left mag (which checked out fine) broke a bunch of teeth on takeoff, and wasn't working. Combined with a slightly fouled plug that didn't show up on mag check, but was causing that cylinder to detonate.

Saved my engine.

Back