Engine Management Made Simple

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I believe I read a recommendation for this course on POA a while back but it included significant travel and expense for a live course. The course description sounded to me like they tried to cram too much into a short time. I couldn't justify the time or total cost.

I believe the link below is for that same course and I could do this if I thought it was worthwhile. Especially with the $100 off.

What do you guys think?

http://pilotworkshop.com/engine-management/

Meh, just get a book on it from amazon or find a local pilot that flew jumpers at a good DZ, it ain't rocket science, wouldn't pay and travel for a course.

Meh, just get a book on it from amazon or find a local pilot that flew jumpers at a good DZ, it ain't rocket science, wouldn't pay and travel for a course.

I suspect you are right, but did you read that this is an on-line course, with videos and demonstrations, and the $395 gives you unlimited access for a year, plus the workbook.

But still, $395; it would have to be a really good course, and that was what I was asking. I was also trying to find out if this is the course that received a really good recommendation here on POA a few years ago.

Can you recommend a REALLY good, illustrated book?

I'll look, there was a older one that was pretty good, keep in mind anyone saying they have changed the way we operate these simple piston engines... Well folks have been trying everything for over 100yrs now, guys were running ROP/LOP etc back when airliners had radials. $395, I'll pass

End of the day it's all about temp management, know your target EGT and limits EGT/CHT/oil temp etc.

Also what engine do you have? Turbo? Super? I'd call the manufactor, I remember lyc having a good book, I'd start there, also if you have any gami injectors or anything, simple as it sound, read the manuals and docs that came with them, surprising how many people don't do that.

Last edited:
The boys in Ada know their stuff about engines. You'll learn a LOT. You just have to decide if it's worth it to you or not. The bigger your engine (especially of it's fuel injected and/or high compression) the more it's worth.

OTOH...another thread is talking about Mike Bush-whacker and one of his seminars. You couldn't pay me enough to give that man money.

Me...

I like people who do their own R&D, not steal it from others and claim it as their own.

Not that I know anyone who would do that, mind you.

Last edited:
Atkinson, Braly, and Deakin are the right guys to learn this from. Walt used to run his own seminars, but I guess he's teamed up with the others now.

Atkinson, Braly, and Deakin are the right guys to learn this from. Walt used to run his own seminars, but I guess he's teamed up with the others now.
AFaIK they started the whole (live) APS thing as a trio from the beginning. Walter developed the course materials, George provided the test data, and John had the most actual operational experience. I believe Walter told me that it came about because John was getting a lot of queries on AvSig about his Pelican Perch articles and the three of them decided to try a seminar once and see what the reaction was. I missed the first go around but a good friend attended and convinced me I should attend so I went at the next opportunity. This was all before there was any online option.

Last year at the BeechTalk TCM factory tour/seminar I met John for the first time (he was absent when I attended the live course) and tried to convince him that they ought make a "refresher" version of the online course and offer it at an attractive price for past attendees. This spring the decision was made to simple allow anyone who's taken the course (online or live AFaIK) to have access to the full online version for one year for $100 (renewable each year). I'm going to take them up on that as soon as I get some free time.

Their biggest concern is that widespread access might result in "pirating" and my hope (and advice to John) is that the relatively low refresher price will discourage that by reducing the incentive to steal their IP. If I was wrong about that John's probably not going to ever listen to me again.:redface:

I believe I read a recommendation for this course on POA a while back but it included significant travel and expense for a live course. The course description sounded to me like they tried to cram too much into a short time. I couldn't justify the time or total cost.

I believe the link below is for that same course and I could do this if I thought it was worthwhile. Especially with the $100 off.

What do you guys think?

http://pilotworkshop.com/engine-management/
If you own an airplane with a big bore engine (e.g. IO470, IO540, IO550), anything turbocharged, or a round engine and want to know how to operate it for maximum efficiency, reliability, and longevity the APS offering is the best there is by a long shot. The live course is best but obviously the most expensive and I believe you can learn as much or more with the online version, especially if you're OK with that form of presentation. In some ways it's actually better because you can repeat any portions that you have trouble understanding. The live course gives the opportunity to see it all come together while watching the operation of a highly instrumented engine (real time graphical displays of cylinder pressure, several temperatures, RPM, torque, ignition advance, etc) while George varies the MP, mixture, and ignition advance. Many folks have said that alone was worth the time and cost. In the live course you also get a fair amount of useful info from discussions between the presenters and other participants who usually come there with a wide range of backgrounds and experience.

Being an engineer and having studied much of the stuff in the presentation I didn't learn as much as some at the seminar but I still felt it was worth the cost to me and I did gain some useful knowledge.

Last edited:
Back