Engine Logbook Entry

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
One an aircraft I inquired about (1978 C172N), there is a logbook entry for an annual that I need help interpreting.

AD 98-17-11, CRANKSHAFT, CW AT O/H

What does the CW represent?

CW should mean Complied With.
That was a crank replacement AD, and it was replaced at overhaul. Before purchase, I would check with who did the overhaul and ensure that the crank was, in fact, replaced, and get it in writing (assuming there's not a work order or invoice with the paperwork that shows it done).

The AD:
This amendment adopts a new airworthiness directive (AD), applicable to certain Textron Lycoming and Teledyne Continental Motors reciprocating engines that had crankshafts repaired by Nelson Balancing Service, Repair Station Certificate No. NB7R820J, Bedford, Massachusetts, that requires removal from service of affected crankshafts, or a visual inspection, magnetic particle inspection, and dimensional check of the crankshaft journals, and, if necessary, rework or removal from service of affected crankshafts and replacement with serviceable parts. This amendment is prompted by reports of crankshafts exhibiting heat check cracking of the nitrided bearing surfaces which led to crankshaft cracking and subsequent failure. The actions specified by this AD are intended to prevent crankshaft failure due to cracking, which could result in an inflight engine failure and possible forced landing.

CW should mean Complied With.
That was a crank replacement AD, and it was replaced at overhaul. Before purchase, I would check with who did the overhaul and ensure that the crank was, in fact, replaced, and get it in writing (assuming there's not a work order or invoice with the paperwork that shows it done).
Thanks Alan... good points!

And thanks to the others for the prompt reply.

Complied with! The engine overhaul AD list should say how it was complied with. Charlie Melot Zephyr Engines

Agreed.

Always been a sticking point with me when I see a logbook entry that says "CW" or "PCW" with no additional information.

Complied with when? Where in the log?

It should also include a reference back to the AD list or engine log book with a date and total time entry.

Agreed.

Always been a sticking point with me when I see a logbook entry that says "CW" or "PCW" with no additional information.

Complied with when? Where in the log?

It should also include a reference back to the AD list or engine log book with a date and total time entry.

The broker only supplied one image of one page, which was the most recent annual.

I've asked for the remainder.

Back