Engine instrument lighting for 1970 PA-140

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
Problem - don't have any.

Question - How do I get some or fix what used to be there...if at all.

Visual reference* - see below

*disclaimer - not my panel but similar

2280Q_panel.jpg

I wonder if LED light strips would fit the bill.

That was my first thought. I can wire it directly into the dimmer on my Nulites. But the question is, were these already internally lit at one time and I just need to replace the bulbs? OR where do I mount the strip - back side of the plastic cover?

Glenn what do you mean by "send them out"?

And the ONLY instrument lights I had before I installed the Nulites were the clock, whiskey compass and the VOR.

If you remove the panel, I'll bet you'll discover little sockets near the corners of the instrument displays. The GE 53 bulb fits in the sockets. If you want, take a red marker or red paint and color the bulbs. The underside of the panel was originally a silver reflective paint, so the light from the bulbs lit everything on the panel.

The other option is to work with the A&P to trace wiring from each of the instruments to see if they are internally lit and either the light is no longer working or if they weren't wired i properly.

Most of the cherokee line have the same panel config and wiring.

I removed the panel before buying the Nulites which is why I bought the Nulites. The holes for the sockets are there but no sockets anywhere. Don't know if they were there and someone took them out or if they were never there to begin with. Are you saying the engine instruments lights have the same sockets?

Back