Engine alterations

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
FAR 43-A says:

(2) Powerplant major alterations. The following alterations of a powerplant when not listed in the engine specifications issued by the FAA, are powerplant major alterations.

(i) Conversion of an aircraft engine from one approved model to another, involving any changes in compression ratio, propeller reduction gear, impeller gear ratios or the substitution of major engine parts which requires extensive rework and testing of the engine.

(ii) Changes to the engine by replacing aircraft engine structural parts with parts not supplied by the original manufacturer or parts not specifically approved by the Administrator.

(iii) Installation of an accessory which is not approved for the engine.

(iv) Removal of accessories that are listed as required equipment on the aircraft or engine specification.

(v) Installation of structural parts other than the type of parts approved for the installation.

(vi) Conversions of any sort for the purpose of using fuel of a rating or grade other than that listed in the engine specifications.

I want to remove the angle drive, starter, and replace both with a light weight, direct drive starter.

Accessory case is the same P/N.

The aircraft needs neither.

major or minor alteration?

Beats hell out of me, it was like that when I bought it.

FAR 43-A says:

(2) Powerplant major alterations. The following alterations of a powerplant when not listed in the engine specifications issued by the FAA, are powerplant major alterations.

(i) Conversion of an aircraft engine from one approved model to another, involving any changes in compression ratio, propeller reduction gear, impeller gear ratios or the substitution of major engine parts which requires extensive rework and testing of the engine.

(ii) Changes to the engine by replacing aircraft engine structural parts with parts not supplied by the original manufacturer or parts not specifically approved by the Administrator.

(iv) Removal of accessories that are listed as required equipment on the aircraft or engine specification.

(v) Installation of structural parts other than the type of parts approved for the installation.

(vi) Conversions of any sort for the purpose of using fuel of a rating or grade other than that listed in the engine specifications.

I want to remove the angle drive, starter, and replace both with a light weight, direct drive starter.

Beats hell out of me, it was like that when I bought it.

When you overhaul an engine, aren't you supposed to know what parts you should use?

The big doubt is, is the starter and angle drive required accessories?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

FAR 43-A says:

When you overhaul an engine, aren't you supposed to know what parts you should use?

The big doubt is, is the starter and angle drive required accessories?

The lightweight starter will have an STC no? Then it's just a simple 337 to cover the STC installation.
Will the 0-300-D be on the STC for a light weight starter intended to be used on a 0-300-A,B,C, with out a angle drive and vac pump drive pad?

How would you do the paper work for that ?

Assuming there is an STC for the starter on that engine, would it be so horrible to submit a 337?

Assuming there is an STC for the starter on that engine, would it be so horrible to submit a 337?
Nope if there is one that covers it.

If you think its is a minor alteration then just do it with a log entry.

How do you apply any STC that does not apply to the model engine?

the light weight starter that applies to the 0-300-A,B,C will not apply to the 0-300-D&E

IIRC an O-300C is the same as a except it has the direct drive starter operated by a solenoid. You could convert the D to C on the old model conversion SB and if the Sktech direct drive starter is on their STC you are home free on the engine. If the aircraft TC requires a D that would require an STC or field approval. Charlie Melot Zephyr Engines

How do you apply any STC that does not apply to the model engine?

the light weight starter that applies to the 0-300-A,B,C will not apply to the 0-300-D&E

I wouldn't.

But that (no STC applies) wasn't the premise of my question.

Form 8110-3 and a 337.

BUT, only if its not a minor alteration with an STC :rolleyes:

-VanDy

IIRC an O-300C is the same as a except it has the direct drive starter operated by a solenoid. You could convert the D to C on the old model conversion SB and if the Sktech direct drive starter is on their STC you are home free on the engine. If the aircraft TC requires a D that would require an STC or field approval. Charlie Melot Zephyr Engines

Thanks Charley, that will require a field approval and a new data tag. but it is a start.

This will be on a 1948 C-170 that came from the factory with a C-145-A, and was changed to a 0-300-D which requires a different crank, and prop.

I did not want to buy a new prop, by changing this engine and going back to the 0-300-A / C-145-A, but the direct drive light weight starter will be lighter than carrying the angle drive and starter that fits the "D".

I wouldn't.

But that (no STC applies) wasn't the premise of my question.

When the STC applies to a different model aircraft or engine, you can ask FSDO for a field approval to Deviate from the STC to use it on the model it doesn't apply to.

Thanks Charley, that will require a field approval and a new data tag. but it is a start.

This will be on a 1948 C-170 that came from the factory with a C-145-A, and was changed to a 0-300-D which requires a different crank, and prop.

I did not want to buy a new prop, by changing this engine and going back to the 0-300-A / C-145-A, but the direct drive light weight starter will be lighter than carrying the angle drive and starter that fits the "D".

Wouldn't the aid from a DER do the trick too?

-VanDy

Just bolt the damned thing on, nobody is going to care.

Yuppers....:yes:

Only time they will find out is when the NTSB is doing the autopsy on the wreckage,, By then ,you are dead, so the worst they can do to you is revoke your pilots license...:hairraise:;)

Any one actually gone thru a Pre-Buy?

Do you think you'd catch it?

See the "D" and look for the angle drive, and it ain't there.

Yet one more vote for 'bolt it on and go'. Keep the angle starter bits in a box on the shelf.

Any one actually gone thru a Pre-Buy?

Do you think you'd catch it?

See the "D" and look for the angle drive, and it ain't there.

Nope, I doubt it would be caught by the vast majority of IAs on an annual either, and you ain't got that problem.

Nope, I doubt it would be caught by the vast majority of IAs on an annual either, and you ain't got that problem.

Yep. It'd end up being pretty thorough if they caught that.

When flying a 50 year old airplane the key requirement is to keep it flying.
There are many items that have been repaired or replaced on mine to keep it that way.
Many of those items have over a thousand hours of satisfactory service on them - I ain't rocking the boat now.

I am in the,' it was like that when I bought it category' - accompanied with a shrug and a quizzical look. But I am assuming that it will only become an issue if the NTSB is doing a careful analysis at which point I won't care.

Back