Energency landing on 231 on Long Island

momalley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
momalley
A small aerobatic plane made an emergency landing on Deer Park Ave just south of Montauk Hwy about 30 minutes ago...Pilot appears to be OK after an engine failure...

Just happened to catch this while listening to LiveATC during lunch

Last edited:
19:30 into the file.....

N111DW - Zivko Edge 540

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnklos/3477445821/

url

Attachments

• KFRG-Twr1-May-02-2013-1630Z.mp3
    3.6 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
He is one the best pilots around, he performs in the jones beach air show every year and puts on a great show.

Re-posting my reply on the red board, I grew up about a mile from there. Deer Park Ave at 1PM is NOT where I would want to have to make a forced landing! But it was a great place to drag race at 1AM... nice long straightaway.

David Windmiller...good last name. Glad all went well.

Thanks for posting the ATC feed. Great work between the tower and PD getting them on scene. Glad it turned out ok.

Thanks for posting the ATC feed. Great work between the tower and PD getting them on scene. Glad it turned out ok.
It was Nassau County PD who responded as they were already in the air and not to far from the location. However, it's Suffolk County PD's jurisdiction.

Shortly afterward you hear News12's chopper requesting transition the Republic's Class D so they can hover over the accident site....

Back