End of October ConUS Challenge update

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Its been a while since I've updated, but its now time for the official update through October, 2007.

I've been internetless at home for a while, so a lot has happened. We've had a lot of new people coming around to claim airports, and a lot of ground has been made. It is obvious that we are not going to hit the goal of claiming all airports before 12/31/2007 (excluding some miracle where everyone goes out and claims like 200 airports a month before then. lol), so I am declaring now that this challenge will continue to run until all airports are claimed. No deadline. Lets do it!

Chicago O'Hare was claimed by Leslie Prellwitz on 9/23/2007. She gives credit to Doc. Bruce, who did technically have the first claim on file, but the photo did not have the GoFlyAmerica password in the picture unfortunately. Her photo was taken from a taxiway on the ramp. I have to admit, I love having the 135 operators in the challenge, but it makes my heart filled with warmth to see that an airport like KORD was claimed in a GA plane running part 91.

There were not a lot of claims in October itself, specifically, but there were certainly a lot of claims since the last update in August. Peter Yee and C. Edward Irvin led both months, with a combined total of 119 claims.

Unfortunately, October was the lowest number of claims we've had yet, but according to activity numbers from last year, I suspect November will be right back up there again! We're nearing 2000 claims (1901 to be exact), and 2000 is a big number! I really want to thank everyone for their efforts in getting this going well. We should all be proud of the efforts made, and the progress made as well!

The top five of October:
1) Peter Yee - 20 Claims
2) Ronn DenOuden - 6 Claims
3) Brent Johnson - 4 Claims
4) Tim Roska - 3 Claims
5) Jim Podgorski - 2 Claims

The top five total:
1) Barb Miller - 296 Claims
2) Peter Yee - 183 Claims
3) C. Edward Irvin - 142 Claims
4) Karl J. Kisser - 95 Claims
5) Mike Schneider - 74 Claims

Top 5 States by Percentage:
1) Delaware - 100%
2) Michigan - 100%
3) California - 92.4%
4) Indiana - 76.7%
5) Maryland - 68.6%

Top 5 States by number:
1) California - 232 Claimed
1) Michigan - 225 Claimed
3) Ohio - 93 Claimed
4) Wisconsin - 80 Claimed
5) Indiana - 79 Claimed

Class B Airports Claimed: 24/34
Class B Airports Left: (BOS, BWI, CVG, EWR, IAH, JFK, MCO, PIT, SEA, TPA).

I've got some specific requests for claims this month, if anyone wants to go out and nab them: KPIT, Pittsburgh International is a bravo airport, but not one of the busiest ones left. It would be great to see that claimed here shortly! Also - Connecticut needs some claims. There's only 21 airports total, so that could very well be the next state claimed to 100%! Rhode Island only has 3 more airports! Anyone in the NE area, please, lets get them knocked out! It would be awesome to start completing states! The three airports left are KOQU, KSFZ, and 08R.

A final request: Lets get some Montana airports claimed! Montana seems to be falling behind every other state right now!

The last request I made was for more claims out of Nebraska, Kansas, etc, and it appears we got some good solid claims in Nebraska now. We could use more Kansas claims.

As always, good job folks, and lets get out there and Go Fly America!

Well Nick i would have gotten 2 more today, if some dummy (me) would have brought his camera.
Dave G

Nick,

I got 5 more over the weekend that I haven't submitted yet 'cuz I'm having issues with Internet access on the road (posting this from my iPhone.) It's still my personal goal to make sure Wisconsin is done by the end of the year. (Though I'd really like it if I didn't have to be the guy to claim MKE... Pleeeeeeease will someone go and get that one?)

I have one in Maine for you that is still in the camera. Maybe tonight.....

-Skip

Nick,

I got 5 more over the weekend that I haven't submitted yet 'cuz I'm having issues with Internet access on the road (posting this from my iPhone.) It's still my personal goal to make sure Wisconsin is done by the end of the year. (Though I'd really like it if I didn't have to be the guy to claim MKE... Pleeeeeeease will someone go and get that one?)
Perhaps I can later this month.

I did claim MWC yesterday, just seemed like it would take too long to shoot over and claim MKE in the 152 ! Too slow. did have a 737 pass a couple hundred feet over my head left to right. ( called out by MKE :papproach though)
Kent, Tried to claim Whitewater, but with 5 Nordo ultra lights buzzing around, did'nt seem prudent.

Last edited:
I did claim MWC yesterday, just seemed like it would take too long to shoot over and claim MKE in the 152 ! Too slow. did have a 737 pass a couple hundred feet over my head left to right. ( called out by MKE :papproach though)
Kent, Tried to claim Whitewater, but with 5 Nordo ultra lights buzzing around, did'nt seem prudent.
I cannot tell you how many times I was there and forgot to bring a camera or just plain forgot to take the picture. Good job!

Ack! I claimed it but then later it showed up as available (as did another one) and I hadn't gotten around to resubmitting. :( Oh well...

Back