End of October CONUS Challenge Update

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Its that time again (a few days late).

In October, 177 airports were claimed.
Total, so far, 456 airports were claimed.
As of today, to hit the goal in time, we needed to have 738 airports claimed.

First place total is Barb Miller with 115 airports claimed
2nd Place total is Mike Schneider with 41 airports claimed
3rd Place total is Joseph Rittenberry with 29 airports claimed.

For the month of October:

First place Barb Miller with 28 airports claimed
2nd Place Mike Schneider with 23 airports claimed
3rd Place Scott Migaldi with 20 airports claimed

Good job guys! Keep up the great work!

edit: here's the map:

Attachments

• conusmap.JPG
    conusmap.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
smigaldi said:
I gotta say this is a lot of fun. I hope to pick up a few more tomorrow as well.
I'm glad to hear it, dude. Both being fun, and picking up more tomorrow :D

is this just for 2006? is it too late to submit? I don't have as many different ones in 2006 as 2005 but I've hit a few...

edit - I was wrong, I do have a lot this year. Last year I went to the Great PNW which is why it seemed like I had more unique ones... I did however hit a number of the same ones in 2005 though.

Last edited:
I've got 8, and possibly 9, in 2006 alone.

JYO, HEF, CHO, OKV, HRG, THV, EVB, FDK for sure... possibly MRB this year. I can't remember if VA32 was this spring or not - I remember it was after a long hiatus but that defines ALL of my training - months and months in between sometimes.

Beth,

Go to http://www.goflyamerica.org sign up and check the rules. They (we) want pictures with the super-secret password. Please join us it's fun.

Joe
sly_sml.jpg

I couldn't resist after seeing your cat help you plan a cross country.

Last edited:
Nick,

I messed up I went to Martha's Vineyard and I forgot to take a picture. we do have pictures but none with the airport in them. We do have a post on the red board saying I was there. oh well I guess I just need to do the flight again but it won't be until the summer.

Bob

rmciottijr said:
Nick,

I messed up I went to Martha's Vineyard and I forgot to take a picture. we do have pictures but none with the airport in them. We do have a post on the red board saying I was there. oh well I guess I just need to do the flight again but it won't be until the summer.

Bob
I can think of worse places to have to visit twice.

Joe

smigaldi said:
I gotta say this is a lot of fun. I hope to pick up a few more tomorrow as well.
It is fun! It has gotten me to a lot of new airports and (on one of my trips) some great x-wind landing practice!

-Skip

woodstock said:
is this just for 2006? is it too late to submit? I don't have as many different ones in 2006 as 2005 but I've hit a few...

edit - I was wrong, I do have a lot this year. Last year I went to the Great PNW which is why it seemed like I had more unique ones... I did however hit a number of the same ones in 2005 though.

Never too late, Beth. We'd love to have your help! If you go to goflyamerica.org you can sign up there. There are forums that require a separate login as well. In order to claim an airport, you just need a picture with the words "Go Fly America" and something distinct about the airport in the background. You can't edit in the picture to put the words in, they have to actually be there.

Its a hell of a lot of fun, and I wish I could do more to actually claim airports. Soon. Soon.

rmciottijr said:
Nick,

Bob

Any of those pictures have the password in it? If so, submit it, and we'll look at it and see if it's good.

SkyHog said:
Any of those pictures have the password in it? If so, submit it, and we'll look at it and see if it's good.

No I will go up again maybe in Dec when we go to Nantucket but we will see.

My wife asked does a picture of The Black Dog count?:goofy:

Bob

Attachments

• IMGA0251.JPG
    IMGA0251.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMGA0276.JPG
    IMGA0276.JPG
    920.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
rmciottijr said:
No I will go up again maybe in Dec when we go to Nantucket but we will see.

My wife asked does a picture of The Black Dog count?:goofy:

Bob

Dang, that's too bad. I hope you can get it come Dec!!

I love KACK. Fun airport.

Thats not fair. You guys have flown in to (out of) ACK and I am the one with the house there. Hah hah hah. Soon I will have flown there. Next year for sure. :)

SkyHog said:
Dang, that's too bad. I hope you can get it come Dec!!

I love KACK. Fun airport.
Wrong Island! The Black Dog is at KMVY. (Claimed by yours truly!)

-Skip

Thanks, Skip now I don't feeling bad about not claiming it.

Bob

Areeda said:
sly_sml.jpg

I couldn't resist after seeing your cat help you plan a cross country.
Joe, is this the kitty that caused the little problem?

woodstock said:
what was the problem? he sure is cute! looks like Sylvester too.
Short version is he bit my hand, which was swollen when I visited Diana and Tom. They took very good care of me. Being a nurse Diana wouldn't let me put it off until I got home, like I wanted. THANK YOU DIANA!!

Long version is really long so ask me when we meet in person and finish talking about airplanes and start on cats.

Joe

I got another few airports in yesterday, and I am trying to get some of the other pilots around here involved as well. The ConUS challenge is a great idea, the Web site makes it sooooo easy to find new strips and submit the claims, and to read everybody else's little stores. Great job!

tomcat said:
I got another few airports in yesterday, and I am trying to get some of the other pilots around here involved as well. The ConUS challenge is a great idea, the Web site makes it sooooo easy to find new strips and submit the claims, and to read everybody else's little stores. Great job!

Thanks. I'm sure Chip appreciates it as well!

Added a link to the ConUS challenge to my AOPA forum signature.

Areeda said:
Short version is he bit my hand, which was swollen when I visited Diana and Tom. They took very good care of me. Being a nurse Diana wouldn't let me put it off until I got home, like I wanted. THANK YOU DIANA!!
You're welcome. :) At least we didn't have to sit around an ER for hours. ;)

Areeda said:

Long version is really long so ask me when we meet in person and finish talking about airplanes and start on cats.

Joe

is that unusual for him?

The Wisconsin Airport Challenge ended recently. I got 32 airports (of 126) for that one, which ran from Apr. 15th to Oct. 31st.

I don't think I won, though. :( :dunno:

I did note that one airport I got for the ConUS challenge was one of the three or so that was eliminated from the Wisconsin challenge. I think I know why - Search the ConUS site and AirNav for "Valhalla". :hairraise:

Back