Encouraging flight lesson signs!!

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Boy, the marketing folks must have worked hard on this one. Wouldn't it make you want to stop what you're doing and immediately begin flying lessons?

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• Planeintree.JPG
    Planeintree.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 83
Wow, you know that pilot is saying, "uhh, note to self..."

The way it looks to me is that tree is the only thing that kept him from ruining other Perfectly Good Airplanes (PGAs). OTOH, maybe this was a GA UAV. Did the controlling pilot spill his coffee?

I love the pic though.

The human psyche being what it is, the attention getting factor towards flying and taking flight lessons may well out weigh any negative aspects associated with the low wing aircraft.

This was discussed on the AvSig board. Evidently, the pilot was not injured in the --can we call it a tree landing? However, was injured climbing down from the aircraft after it came to rest.

The signs are great!!

Best,

Dave

"Come fly here! Don't mind the Piper in the tree, he's......not...one of ours."

:p

This was discussed on the AvSig board. Evidently, the pilot was not injured in the --can we call it a tree landing? However, was injured climbing down from the aircraft after it came to rest.

The signs are great!!

Best,

Dave

I can't find any NTSB report for this plane based on all variations of the N number I tried. Anybody else? Looks to end in 87J (I've got it blown way up). N 3487J? 8487J? 5487J? Almost everything that ends in 87J appears to be a C150.

I can't find any NTSB report for this plane based on all variations of the N number I tried. Anybody else? Looks to end in 87J (I've got it blown way up). N 3487J? 8487J? 5487J? Almost everything that ends in 87J appears to be a C150.

I tried the FAA registration search..... same results.

Umm the aircraft in the article is a Cessna, this airplane in the picture is a Piper. I haven't seen anything on NTSB myself.

umm this is the newsmedia talking! Check the other links, seems bonafide. I see nothing in the ntsb reports either ? ? ?

Boy, the marketing folks must have worked hard on this one. Wouldn't it make you want to stop what you're doing and immediately begin flying lessons?

Best,

Dave

That, I believe, is wonderfully appropriate. I think they should leave it there in the spirit of full disclosure. Gives you some reality to chew on when you pull up for your lesson.

Imagine you come to work one morning, and your competitors trainer is in the tree in front of your FBO. Thats what happened to American Aviation, the Cessna Pilot Center here at Meadow Lake Airport. The PIPER Aircraft in the photo belongs Classic Air. For a report and more photos and video of the crash, go to: 2MLA.com

www.2MLA.com

...MARK...

thanks for clearing that up. still amazing!

Umm the aircraft in the article is a Cessna, this airplane in the picture is a Piper. I haven't seen anything on NTSB myself.

The Sherriffs office report was WRONG. The deputy filing the report did not know a Piper from a Cessna.

The accident happened after dark on a humid cold night. I live in the Aviation Subddivision just east of the main hangars and the crash site.

My power went off, and I went to investigate. The cherokee was doing night touch and go landings on MLA runway 15. He had a total engine failure about 1 mile out on (left) base leg, and turned toward the runway.

About 1500 feet short and 1000 feet east of the approch end of rwy 15, the aircrafts nose gear contacted the power line on the north side of the rd. (snapping it and slowing the airplane), which then crashed into a tall cottonwood tree on the south side of Judge Orr rd, at the enterance to American Aviation. If the tree had not stopped the airplane, 300 feet further south on his extended course, the American Aviation Fuel truck which was parked for the night would have stopped the Cherokee in an even more spectacular fashion.

details and video at www.MeadowLakeAirport.com

...MARK...

Dave, that photo is driving me nuts trying to remember the Harry Potter spell that stops the whomping willow....

The info is on the FAA site, but not the NTSB???

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 6487J Make/Model: PA28 Description: PA-28 CHEROKEE, ARROW, WARRIOR, ACHER, D
Date: 12/07/2006 Time: 0025

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

City: COLORADO SPRINGS State: CO Country: US

DESCRIPTION
ACFT ON DEPARTURE, LOST POWER, ATTEMPTED TO LAND ON A ROAD AND CRASHED INTO
A TREE, MEADOWLAKE AIRPORT, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: METAR KCOS 080064Z 00000KT 10SM COR M02/M06 A3049

Dave, that photo is driving me nuts trying to remember the Harry Potter spell that stops the whomping willow....

According to Leah, there is no spell, but a knob on the trunk of the tree that makes it stop.

The info is on the FAA site, but not the NTSB???

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 6487J Make/Model: PA28 Description: PA-28 CHEROKEE, Date: 12/07/2006 Time: 0025

DESCRIPTION
ACFT ON DEPARTURE, LOST POWER, ATTEMPTED TO LAND ON A ROAD AND CRASHED INTO A TREE, MEADOWLAKE AIRPORT, COLORADO SPRINGS,

-------------------------------
The FAA initial report was WRONG !!!! The ACFT was NOT "on departure".....

The accident happened after dark on a humid cold night. The Cherokee was doing night touch and go landings on MLA runway 15, when it experienced a total engine failure about 1 mile out on (left) base leg, and turned toward the runway.

The pilot never attempted to land on the east west road, he said he considered it as he glided south towards the runway, saw car lights and decided against turning.

While in a no power gliding decent, about 1500 feet short and 1000 feet east of the approach end of rwy 15, the aircrafts nose gear contacted the power line on the north side of the rd. (snapping it and slowing the airplane), which then crashed into a tall cottonwood tree on the south side of Judge Orr rd, at the entrance to American Aviation.

If the tree had not stopped the airplane, 300 feet further south on his extended course, the American Aviation Fuel truck which was parked for the night would have stopped the Cherokee in an even more spectacular fashion.

...MARK...

www.MeadowLakeAirport.com

-------------------------------
The FAA initial report was WRONG !!!! The ACFT was NOT "on departure".....

The accident happened after dark on a humid cold night. The Cherokee was doing night touch and go landings on MLA runway 15, when it experienced a total engine failure about 1 mile out on (left) base leg, and turned toward the runway.

The pilot never attempted to land on the east west road, he said he considered it as he glided south towards the runway, saw car lights and decided against turning.

While in a no power gliding decent, about 1500 feet short and 1000 feet east of the approach end of rwy 15, the aircrafts nose gear contacted the power line on the north side of the rd. (snapping it and slowing the airplane), which then crashed into a tall cottonwood tree on the south side of Judge Orr rd, at the entrance to American Aviation.

If the tree had not stopped the airplane, 300 feet further south on his extended course, the American Aviation Fuel truck which was parked for the night would have stopped the Cherokee in an even more spectacular fashion.

...MARK...

www.MeadowLakeAirport.com

If the aircraft was doing TNGs, then it was in a constant state of departure/approach, so I don't think the wording is wrong necessarily.

Personally, I think the "landing" worked out the best. No injuries and minimized damage to everything but the aircraft, and that's what insurance is for.

Would you take lessons here?

Interesting way to let you know its the Flight School entrance!

Last edited:
Re: Would you take lessons here?

... this has to be the most re-posted image ever ...

Re: Would you take lessons here?

A true Classic!
Insert MAG comment here.

Back