Employee apathy [NA]

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
A bit of a rant here.

I'm always hearing people complain about how heartless and uncaring companies can be, how employees are just a number. Employees always whining about wanting to be treated as a person, valued for who they are. Yet, when bosses and companies try, what they get back from the employees seems to be the finger.

A couple instances come to mind. The first was with my wife's school, a private pre-school/kindergarten franchise. The owner was going to take all the teachers out to dinner. Had a nice resteraunt all booked, and a free ride for the teachers. Just a way to thank her teachers for their hard work. That was a pretty penny she planned to spend. I arranged for a night off work so I could watch Sean and let Cathy have some fun, which she was looking forward to. Besides Cathy, I think only one other teacher accepted the invitation, so Rhonda cancelled. Now, she's a pretty good boss, and the school treats it's workers better than most in the industry. If I were her, I'd feel kind of like my employees had just told me to get bent.

My company is a large company, owned by a larger bank. This week is employee appreciation week. As part of that, they are hosting what they are calling an "On My Own Time" display. The deal is that employees bring in an item to display that show what we like to do off work. It can be almost anything, short of soliciting for something. Photography, painting, pottery, whatever floats your boat. I thought it was a pretty good idea, a chance for people to share their interests and what drives them. The company has made available one of it's nicer and larger conference rooms for the displays. Cathy put together a display, on 20x30 posterboard, of pictures we've taken while flying as a family, with the centerpiece being a pretty decent 8x10 picture I took of the company's building. We put a little blurb in the corner about how I'm a private pilot, and how GA has given us a fantastic family activity. I thought it was a great opportunity to show GA in a positive light, without "preaching to the choir." Cathy did a nice job, and it's a great display. It's also alone in that big conference room :( I work afternoons, but made a special trip in this morning to get my display approved and displayed. The conference room was dark. I ran to Human Resources to find the guy who was supposed to approve my display, got it done, and put my display up. Heck, they even gave me an easel to use for the week. Looks good... also looks lonely.

Now, if I'm running a company with several thousand people, and only one person bothers to participate in company activities, what am I going to say next time someone suggests we take the time to let the employees show themselves off a bit? "Why bother? They don't care, why should we?" Now, not everybody has the time, inclination, or whatever to participate in such things, but one person out of a couple thousand?

Respect seems to me to be a two way street.

Joe Williams said:
Respect seems to me to be a two way street.
That sums it up nicely in my book. I see the same things you describe where I work Joe...

Here's the flip side.

On the dinner out - maybe the teachers feel that they already give their all during the day, and deserve to have their own time. Perhaps there could have been an in-school perk for them - a day off with pay, a free lunch for the teachers, etc.

Same thing for "On my Own Time". You want me to put together a presentation FOR WORK on what I do ON MY TIME? Isn't it bad enough that I have to put together presentations on what I do at work?

Respect is more like a tightrope - both ends have to hold it up, and if one end breaks it then it's broken both ways.

MSmith said:
On the dinner out - maybe the teachers feel that they already give their all during the day, and deserve to have their own time. Perhaps there could have been an in-school perk for them - a day off with pay, a free lunch for the teachers, etc.
I'm with Joe on this one. We've done Christmas parties for years here...yet every time a bunch of people complain because it's on a Saturday evening. So last year we had a catered lunch instead...and the SAME people are complaining because it's not a full blown, company-supplied alcohol, type party.

MSmith said:
Same thing for "On my Own Time". You want me to put together a presentation FOR WORK on what I do ON MY TIME? Isn't it bad enough that I have to put together presentations on what I do at work?

Respect is more like a tightrope - both ends have to hold it up, and if one end breaks it then it's broken both ways.
The company is taking an interest in its employees and attempting to get them to share their "off time" activities so they are the bad guys here?

How much time is wasted each day by employees doing personal things? Even like visiting here? Sorry but I don't see a job as "my time vs their time". It's all my time and I choose to do something that gains income with a part of it. I do it at 6:00am, 3:00pm in the afternoon and 1:00am in the morning if required. Most employees don't have any problem taking "their time" away from the company but have a heck of a time giving some back.

Brian Austin said:
I'm with Joe on this one. We've done Christmas parties for years here...yet every time a bunch of people complain because it's on a Saturday evening. So last year we had a catered lunch instead...and the SAME people are complaining because it's not a full blown, company-supplied alcohol, type party.

When I ran a large department I had one firm rule when it came to get togethers. Whoever complained most about the last one organized the next one. Once they've delt with the frustration themselves they're a little more tolerant.

This is just me but I hate meaningless HR fluff. If a companies wants to show its employees it cares then do it in policy and not silly motivational Oprahism. Sounds like an HR department with too much time on their hands. A dinner seems nice but a merit bonus, stock option, reduced co-pays, dental, profit sharing or LOWER Senior executive pay would be more meaningful.

Just because an employee chooses not to socialize with his or her manager outside of work does not make them ungrateful. It just means they value their private lives.

Maybe its just me but there are lots of employee who like their bosses and the people they work with but do not like the larger company.

Yes, I am seen as a rather Hard Ass when it comes to work. My wife and fellow employee's would completely disagree.

corjulo said:
This is just me but I hate meaningless HR fluff. If a companies wants to show its employees it cares then do it in policy and not silly motivational Oprahism. Sounds like an HR department with too much time on their hands. A dinner seems nice but a merit bonus, stock option, reduced co-pays, dental, profit sharing or LOWER Senior executive pay would be more meaningful.
"Merit" should be the operative word here. TANSTAAFL

I find it interesting that those with a more left leaning political slant seem to find the "feel good" stuff less appealing.

My wife is the HR manager for our mutual employer. Her duties go well beyond the standard "fill out this form" and "hey I've got paycheck problems". She coaches managers on employee evaluations. She supplies ice cold water and Gatorade to the mechanics working in the AZ heat. She'll run to the local Costco to buy stuff for an impromptu ice cream break. If an employee gets hurt, regardless of severity, she's involved with everything from just making sure they've seen the doctor to coordinating hospital stays, making sure their family still gets fed, etc.. One employee recently lost his five year old daughter, who was accidentally run over by a postal van. My wife and our company ended up coordinating part of the funeral, contributing to the families' meals through the funeral period and more. She even worked with the owner to extend the employee's bereavement period until HE was ready to come back a week later.

Everything that our employer gives us is not always in the form of a paycheck or "benefit". That one funeral effort brought more respect and loyalty from all of the employees than any bonus check ever will. I'd rather make less and work for some place like this any day.

Brian Austin said:
"Merit" should be the operative word here. TANSTAAFL

I find it interesting that those with a more left leaning political slant seem to find the "feel good" stuff less appealing.

My wife is the HR manager for our mutual employer. Her duties go well beyond the standard "fill out this form" and "hey I've got paycheck problems". She coaches managers on employee evaluations. She supplies ice cold water and Gatorade to the mechanics working in the AZ heat. She'll run to the local Costco to buy stuff for an impromptu ice cream break. If an employee gets hurt, regardless of severity, she's involved with everything from just making sure they've seen the doctor to coordinating hospital stays, making sure their family still gets fed, etc.. One employee recently lost his five year old daughter, who was accidentally run over by a postal van. My wife and our company ended up coordinating part of the funeral, contributing to the families' meals through the funeral period and more. She even worked with the owner to extend the employee's bereavement period until HE was ready to come back a week later.

Everything that our employer gives us is not always in the form of a paycheck or "benefit". That one funeral effort brought more respect and loyalty from all of the employees than any bonus check ever will. I'd rather make less and work for some place like this any day.

Curious, Small company or large corporation? I think it can make a big difference. And my wife is as left leaning as me, even more so, and she loves all the HR feel good stuff. Don't really think its political as much as personal preference

Our company has 100 employees. Definitely "small" by today's standards.

My "left leaning" comment was based on responses to this thread, not people in general. I just found it rather surprising, since stereotypes would label us on the opposite ends of the discussion here.

Brian Austin said:
Our company has 100 employees. Definitely "small" by today's standards.

My "left leaning" comment was based on responses to this thread, not people in general. I just found it rather surprising, since stereotypes would label us on the opposite ends of the discussion here.

Boy, I would love to work for 100 employees company. I think where something like 2000 here and 24,000 corporation wide

corjulo said:
Boy, I would love to work for 100 employees company. I think where something like 2000 here and 24,000 corporation wide
The way we're growing, we might be at 200 in a few years. After that, I suspect it would get a little "unwieldy" for some of us one man/woman departments. :D

This is a great company to work for. Good profits, good pay, steady work, and a 'take care of the employee and he'll take care of us' mentality.

Well, I'm with Brian and Joe on this one. I'm very frustrated right now--from the other side of the fence. Staff here complain about being underappreciated, and I agree that they are. They're the ones who have suffered the brunt of budget cuts. So I wanted to start an outstanding staff award for my unit (there's already one for the institution as a whole). I even contributed $700 of my own (personal) money to get a fund started. I asked my staff advisory committee to come up with what they felt would be the criteria we should use and the nomination procedures (not as simple in my organization as it might sound).

They gave me nothing, and complained that no one should be singled out for recognition. I'm afraid my personal budget (or my unit budget) doesn't extend to recognizing everyone every year, and in addition, I was just trying to follow the institutional example (also run by staff) for my unit, which means it's more likely someone in my unit would be recognized every year. All I was trying to do was ramp up staff recognition (partly in response to complaints about lack of recognition) and I got criticized for it by some. In addition, when I asked what kind of recognition they would find acceptable, I got nothing. It's sad.

Judy

judypilot said:
Well, I'm with Brian and Joe on this one. I'm very frustrated right now--from the other side of the fence.
I hear you, Judy. It goes beyond recognition, though. If people want to gripe, they'll find something.

I once took a job as editor of a magazine. A woman there thought she should have been promoted (despite being neither skilled nor qualified) and was out to get me from day 1. If I asked any question, it "proved" I was ignorant and unqualified for the job. If I didn't, it "proved" I was a pompous know-it-all who refused input from people who had been with the company longer. I put up with the character assassination for almost two months, trying everything I could think of to get her on board. It all failed. Twasn't me that was out of a job!

Ken,

Well, I haven't gotten that, and in fact, the staff have been very hard-working and supportive of me, which makes it all the more frustrating. If there were any way I could raise everyone's salaries, I would. I doubt I have a single undeserving staff member, after all the layoffs.

But they know and even seem to accept that such a move is out of my reach. But why would they turn down the opportunity to get recognized another way? I honestly don't get it.

Judy

My experience has been that employee incentives do not work. In fact, they may be viewed negatively either by the envious individual or by an entire group which has a common interest with that individual. Seemingly, it nevers occurs to them they perhaps should increase their individual effort.

I've given incentives based on favorable customer response, length of employment, merit, task completion, job performance, and those intangibles such as an employee volunteering to work long hours as required or to take that distant project which involves being away from home for extended time.

Gas cards extending to pvt use vehicles, gift certificates to favorite merchants, weekly cash awards, quarterly BBQs w/ employer provided beer/wine, and a few others; none resulted in the intended result. Zero response to an all day, all expense paid trip to a favorite lake with ski boats and jet skis provided although some asked how come I'm not planning the lake trip this year.

For a sole proprietor with less than 50 employees I was way over extended by some of these. But I wanted to at least show that I wasn't just talk. Of five of my most experienced employees, only one responded to my offer to open the books and explain the in and out of running a small business. Yet they all continued to chant the rumor that I'm walking away with the big money.

Saying that they sometimes made more money than I did fell on deaf ears.

A couple observations.

First, employees are going to gripe about stuff. Just the way it is. Even people working for the #1 Best Company to Work for in America are going to have their gripes. Sometimes it isn't necessarily the company itself that is the heart of a problem, it may be the company's clients (ask me how I know...)

Second, I think a lot of it comes down not to recognition of the individual, but rather "respect" for the individual. I have been working for a large company for 6 years now. In a large company the respect for individuality is often supressed in the name of procedures, attempting acheive a uniform level of quality, and sometimes just a general complacency by upper management that "all is well". A few large companies, and I can think of a few automobile manufacturers in particular, have come to realize that real input from individual workers can have real value to company bottom line, and have started to adjust their operating paradigm with respect to management and line workers to reflect this.

Just my 0.02.

Jeff

Agreed...

Plus, If the boss has got the game down & is winning a few, they resent the boss, even with generous & appropriate incentives because, well, he's doin' allright, better than them they know, but they're a helluva lot more on the ball than the boss in their own minds... so they're perpetually POed.

But of course, they don't have the kahonnes (or even the cajonnes) to go for it themselves because of the personal risk.. leading to chronic POedness.

ILATT...

Jeff Oslick said:
A couple observations.

First, employees are going to gripe about stuff. Just the way it is. Even people working for the #1 Best Company to Work for in America are going to have their gripes. Sometimes it isn't necessarily the company itself that is the heart of a problem, it may be the company's clients (ask me how I know...)

Second, I think a lot of it comes down not to recognition of the individual, but rather "respect" for the individual. I have been working for a large company for 6 years now. In a large company the respect for individuality is often supressed in the name of procedures, attempting acheive a uniform level of quality, and sometimes just a general complacency by upper management that "all is well". A few large companies, and I can think of a few automobile manufacturers in particular, have come to realize that real input from individual workers can have real value to company bottom line, and have started to adjust their operating paradigm with respect to management and line workers to reflect this.

Just my 0.02.

Jeff

Re: Employees vs Mgmt

Richard said:
Yet they all continued to chant the rumor that I'm walking away with the big money. Saying that they sometimes made more money than I did fell on deaf ears.

Ditto here. I write 10 paychecks a week in my sm business.
Just for fun I calculated my hourly wages once including all the necessary after-hours stuff, and it was slightly lower than the top-paid people in my business!
Sometimes us owners of small businesses have to wonder, 'Now, are they here to help me, or am I here just to provide for them?!' If the place goes under, I lose EVERYTHING, as I have all the risk. They just walk off to another job.
Do they sweat over all the management decisions? Are they up at 2am trying to balance the budget? Are the osha/workers comp laws written to protect the owner? Do they fret about the 11 regulatory agencies and their onerous reporting requirments? Miss one mortgage payment and the last 11 years of payments can be kissed goodbye! :hairraise:

I think it is an entrenched cultural thing making everyone say "the boss is an overpaid a$$" in this country, and not a justified concept.

I have spent many years in an employee's shoes and can easily empathize with their woes (and there is daily emphathizing and sympathizing, plus patting on the back going on).......... but not one employee really appreciates what owners/managers are up against.

Re: Employees vs Mgmt

Let'sgoflying! said:
.... but not one employee really appreciates what owners/managers are up against.
Sadly, I have been there. I didn't handle some things as well as I could have and ended up breaking even in the end...after a divorce, losing a truck and taking two full time jobs to make the debt go away. I appreciate what business owner's really have on the line here. It's not just a job, it's a life.

Jeff Oslick said:
A couple observations.

Jeff

Jeff, you are right, of course, and you are also right about the respect part. Interestingly, public acknowledgement of their hard work seems to go further than awards. I can sort of understand that, but why not both?

The ones I hate are the ones (interestingly, not among the staff, who are grossly underpaid, but among the faculty, who are grossly underpaid only by the highly paid nationwide standards of their profession) who complain and complain about their salaries, knowing full well that budgets right now don't permit big raises, but won't leave. Hm. I respect them and their accomplishments, but sheesh--if they're that unhappy, why don't they go to the instititutions they keep citing as paying better? By the standards of MY profession, I'm grossly underpaid, too, but I also know that in the grand scheme of things, I'm pretty darn lucky.

Judy

judypilot said:
I respect them and their accomplishments, but sheesh--if they're that unhappy, why don't they go to the instititutions they keep citing as paying better?
I've found that there are usually two reasons:

1. Laziness on their part. Why make the effort when it's easier to simply whine about it?

2. The deep down realization that they're just not worth that kind of money to the other institution.

judypilot said:
--if they're that unhappy, why don't they go to the instititutions they keep citing as paying better? By the standards of MY profession, I'm grossly underpaid, too, but I also know that in the grand scheme of things, I'm pretty darn lucky.

Judy

Maybe they realize that the institutions that pay more are often located in parts of the country where a small 3 bedroom, 1 bath home can easily cost half a mil $$$. Doesn't work to make more $ if you don't get to play with it.

BTW Judy, I get to play "professor" again this summer - I landed a gig to teach a couple summer session oceanography classes at my local JC. Which actually reminds me of something many engineering/science profs could do to make a few extra bucks- do a little side consulting, assuming it doesn't conflict with existing grants or other employment restrictions. If I can work as an "academic" on the side, no reason you're folks can't work as a "consultant whore" on the side ;) .

As much as I love to work a normal 40 hr week, one of my grad school advisors pointed out pretty early on that often the difference in the success of ones career is related to what is done after you've put in your first 40. The small business owners here certainly understand that.

Jeff

REF: respect of employee.

Absolutely agree. Without the respect for the employee as an individual and as a part of the company any incentive provided him is hollow, hollow, hollow. Whether as an employer or just as a private person I could not think of anything more condescending to the employee than an incentive given to him if the respect is not there.

This is a very interesting topic. It is really about what has been going on between employer needs and employee needs. I have worked in the labor relations and Human Resource field for over 30 years. It is what people really want. Some of us just want to work and come home without being involved in the company parties and so forth. Many people just want to do their 8 to 10 hours and go home. Some people want to do all the company activities. Some employers want employees to be "loyal 24 hours a day". I still get many calls from employees who are hanging by a thin thread asking if they should go to the "big Party" They are so worried in that if they do not go they will be fired. It is a rock and a hard place for all. In all my years in personnel I realize that there will be always unhappy employees as well as unhappy employers. It is a give and take world of work and family. The better employers let their employees go home and enjoy their families. Interesting many employers with low turnover, the employees have more time with their families or other outside interests.

John J

John J said:
Interesting many employers with low turnover, the employees have more time with their families or other outside interests.
It's interesting that you mention this.

All companies have two distinct groups of people: those who make money for the company and those who cost the company money. That's not to say the "cost" group is bad. The "cost" group simply doesn't generate revenue for themselves and their overhead. The "make" group generates revenue for both themselves and the "cost" group. Yes, I realize there are other terms for them but I'm keeping it simple here.

Our company's "make" group works some pretty long hours. It's not unusual for mechanics and salesmen to regularly hit 60 hours a week. My own job has 40 hour weeks and 60 hour weeks, although I'll be the first to admit I get far more 40's than 60's. It usually sits around 50ish when I count the stuff I do from home. Most of our other "cost" jobs are strictly 40 hour gigs with no "homework" or overtime unless someone is on vacation.

The "make" group hours have actually increased over the last few years due to a shortage of mechanics in our areas...yet our turnover has significantly decreased over that same period of time. Why? We're one of the better paying shops in the area (and HR keeps track of who is getting paid what), our safety record has improved overall, and the "silly" little perks that people have been getting (described earlier) have had an effect. Add improved communication, especially at the manager/employee level, and obvious interest by the owner (he knows everyone by name and has a database that he usually to refresh himself on who is who and what their interests/family/etc. are). It's made a big difference here.

Brian Austin said:
All companies have two distinct groups of people: those who make money for the company and those who cost the company money.

haha, I know a guy who says he threatens playfully to routinely fire the bottom 10% performers in his company every year. Just to keep them all alert.
Harsh as it sounds it might have merit!

Employee apathy?

Who cares.

/I'll be here all week.
//Tip your server.

Let'sgoflying! said:
haha, I know a guy who says he threatens playfully to routinely fire the bottom 10% performers in his company every year. Just to keep them all alert.
Ah, the Jack Welch method.

I've read both his books; he really did this at GE and believes it is NOT harsh as long as employees are getting continual, honest feedback. If a person in the bottom 10% is doing that miserably, then the job is probably not a good match for him.

-Rich

P.S. Sorry, couldn't help myself with that last post. :D

Let'sgoflying! said:
Jack Welch, General Electric CEO (retired)

It was his standard routine: reward the top 10%, fire the bottom 10% and leave the rest alone to see what happens...every year.

I've seen both sides of this within the same company.

When I worked for Comcast in New Hampshire and Massachusetts, the employees loved the company. The company treated the employees well. Almost everyone on both sides were content. The company did all kinds of feel good stuff, and the employees were just loving every minute of it. They worked hard, and made sure the job was done correctly. There was a respect that I just adored on both sides there.

I transferred to Albuquerque a little over a year ago. Things out here are way different. The employees hate management, and the company as a whole. The management team doesn't trust the employees, and it shows with the ridiculous policies they implement. The employees, in turn, do horrible jobs whenever they think they can get away with it, and don't go the extra mile to make sure things are done properly. I don't know which came first here, the distrust of management, or the hatred by the employees, but I know that both sides need to give for it to be fixed.

The worst thing is that out here, this is the norm for the employee/employer relationship. I'd love to see Albuquerque be more like New England (at least all the jobs I had up there).

NickDBrennan said:
The worst thing is that out here, this is the norm for the employee/employer relationship. I'd love to see Albuquerque be more like New England (at least all the jobs I had up there).
Based on my limited experience in Albuquerque, that's pretty much the norm there. Some areas of West Michigan were like that, too. Yes, you have your "good" companies, too, but a general culture in the community seemed to cross corporate boundaries until it just became a way of life. Sad.

Brian Austin said:

I don't know about that. I do know that I'm at work mostly for a paycheck, I'm not here for fluffy lunches, hand holding, or foo foo feel good HR gestures. I work hard and smart, and expect real rewards for a job well done.

If you like my work, show it to me where it counts, my paycheck. All else, IMHO, is just BS. Somewhere along the line, management was told that you wouldn't have to give people real raises, just give them a fluffy lunch and foo foo once in a while, and they'll toil merrily away. Meanwhile, the company puts the money that used to go into raises and advancement into their pockets. It's just another spin on who gets to keep the most dollars.

Bill Jennings said:
Meanwhile, the company puts the money that used to go into raises and advancement into their pockets. It's just another spin on who gets to keep the most dollars.
Employees are a market, subject to the same rules of supply and demand. If demand for accountants increases while supply decreases, the cost per accountant is going to go up. On the opposite end, if demand decreases, supply increases and costs go down. That's just the way it works.

In the meantime, healthcare costs have almost doubled in the last few years. If you have company supplied or subsidized health insurance, that's part of your compensation package. If their insurance costs have gone up while your contribution (if any) has stayed the same or not increased as much, they're picking up the slack. In the real world, that's part of your paycheck, whether you see it or not. It's part of the cost of you to the company. Same with worker's comp insurance, unemployment, etc.. All of that is part of your compensation.

Ask for a compensation breakdown sometime. Most HR departments will supply one. You might be surprised how much you REALLY cost the company. It's not the number on your paycheck. In most cases, it's not even close.

Let'sgoflying! said:

I don't think that has much merit at all. That smacks way close to the classic "The random executions shall continue until morale improves" comment. While it may have merit in most places nowadays, that's really not the way to do things if you want people to work together for a common goal.

When all is said and done, it really comes down to this:

Management easy way: If you're treated like an expendable employee ID number (toilet paper gets better treatment) for the sake of maximized profitability margins for the shareholders and executives, no amount of corporate mandated trinkets (dribble rewards) will improve the peasant/king relationship. The peasants will continue to debate how to behead the king while the king's horse poops on the peasants heads. Workers will do the absolute minimum they can get away with to marginally keep their job. Nobody will give a turd...except the horse. Turnover will be astronomical or higher.

Management hard way: If you're treated like a person by people who actually personally care and support you an environment of mutual respect, you will go out of your way to help when it's needed even if it's free overtime on a friday afternoon...without complaining. Minimum standards are completely unacceptable to the workers and they go out of their way to do things right because they want to do it right. For this to work EVERYONE has to be involved in the support/respect system and I mean everyone from outsourced temporary toilet cleaner to company owner and it must be sincere. Near zero turnover rate.

I've been both places and on both ends of the stick. I work in the second category right now. My boss and her boss are just other workers in our group and when they say 'how are you today', they mean it. The only real difference between them and us is when something goes haywire, they jump in and take all the heat. I use to work in the first category. I will never work for that type again. They're lower than septic tank guk.

fgcason said:
I don't think that has much merit at all. That smacks way close to the classic "The random executions shall continue until morale improves" comment.

Frank, Frank it was indeed a joke, see the "haha"? :))

Just last week I wrote two personal thank you notes to 2 exceptional employees, grabbed one employee's hand and told him I really appreciate what he has done (I did), took the staff to lunch, and made a personal, interest-free loan of $2000 to another employee so she might realize a dream. I don't think I am such a bad employer.
;)
DT

fgcason said:
I don't think that has much merit at all. That smacks way close to the classic "The random executions shall continue until morale improves" comment. While it may have merit in most places nowadays, that's really not the way to do things if you want people to work together for a common goal.
It worked for years at GE. I'm not a big fan of it, mostly because it puts employees in competition with each other instead of working as a team. For Mr. Welch, however, it worked quite well.

Management isn't responsible to the employees. They're responsible to the stakeholders of the company, whether it is a single owner or millions of shareholders. Change the responsibility from stakeholders to employees and you'll end up creating a non-profit organization. Yes, there are balances. That's why they're managers. ;)

Frank; and Brian;

I really enjoy your posts for they are infomative and very helpful. I have worked in Personnel or HR fiedl as it is called today as a consultant in workforce planing for over 30 years. What I have learned is that cost to an employer is turnover which no one really looks at in real dollars. In costing turnover a basic formula can be applied and it is approximately 5 to 6 times the annual salary or the person who left the company. The cost are; recruiting time to replace, hire, train, and bring up to speed the new hire. Also one must look at the salary of the temp who is asked to come in during this whole process and then to top it off is the salaries of the recruiter and the people to train the temp to cover for the lost employee. Yes turnover is a real expensive and then if the employer's reputation is not very good then there is the time spent on trying to get prospective candidates to even accept the job. It is a two way street between employees and employers. Both cannot survive without each other.

Thanks again for the posts

John J

Bill Jennings said:
If you like my work, show it to me where it counts, my paycheck. All else, IMHO, is just BS.

I'm with Bill on this one. After 30+ years in the workforce, I've had all the team-building exercises, holiday parties, and strategic planning visioning blather I can take. Show me the money.
I would like our HR department to send out a notice this year that reads: "Our annual holiday party costs us $35/employee in direct expense. This year, we are implementing a new policy that will allow you to choose to attend the holiday party, or take the cash." My guess is half the folks would take the cash, and I'd be one of them.
EH

Let'sgoflying! said:
Just last week I wrote two personal thank you notes to 2 exceptional employees, grabbed one employee's hand and told him I really appreciate what he has done (I did), took the staff to lunch, and made a personal, interest-free loan of $2000 to another employee so she might realize a dream. I don't think I am such a bad employer.

Good for you! You've got my respect that's for sure. I might have to come work for you someday.

You are one of the exceptions to the masses out there and sound a lot like the owner that started our company from scratch. (He since sold out and built a nice house in Aspen from the bankroll and he's not hurting..He deserved what he got and we all wished him well) That guy would give you the shirt off his back, or buy you a new one, and you knew he was working his tailfeathers off in the meantime. He knew us all by name and what we did and who we were as a person. Every xmas he would come around specifically to tell everyone merry xmas and to have a wonderful holiday and you could see in his eyes that he meant it. Your attitude and his is exactly how you motivate employees to be there for you.

Two way respect and dependence on each other is the real winning move.

Back