Emergency Parachutes

I have no knowledge on this subject so forgive my ignorance. Is there a BRS option for experimental aircraft or is the weight trade off or cost just not worth it?

Yes............ BRS is an option and alot of guys installed them..

I'd recommend a back mounted square, standard buckles, softie makes some good ones.

I agree with everything except the standard buckles. Even though I am not using it for acro, I prefer the acro style harnesses (I think that is what Softie calls it). These have criss crossing leg straps that connect high on the harness with B-12 snaps and no chest strap. See the attached photo.

Ryan

Attachments

• Aerobatic_Harness2.jpg
    Aerobatic_Harness2.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 17
Forgive my ignorance -- what's a "non-approved parachute system" used for?

Maybe he's talking about a BASE rig?? Basically just a big reserve, I sure as hell wouldn't want to deploy near terminal with one of those, the word SLAM comes to mind.

Forgive my ignorance -- what's a "non-approved parachute system" used for?

Base rigs. Harness/container and big square parachute. Minor details aside, same amount of material and labor as building a pilot rig, no certification and uninsured manufacturers. Edit to add price is about the same, I'm certain the BASE market is larger then the pilot rig market.

Last edited:
Maybe he's talking about a BASE rig?? Basically just a big reserve, I sure as hell wouldn't want to deploy near terminal with one of those, the word SLAM comes to mind.

:confused: I've done lots of terminal BASE jumps, we have the same reefing options as skydive gear. Pick your slider material, pilotchute size and pack appropriately. You can make them open as slow as you want.

Jay, as you have seen in the thread there is a lot of personal preference. Regarding harnesses, I wasn't crazy about the aerobatic rig, and preferred the quick ejector snaps, which cost more and add weight. I found it easier to use the snaps and then tighten rather than feed all of the extra strap though the buckle and then making sure they were secured.

Skydivers like to step into their harnesses, while most acro pilots seem to buckle or strap them on. Given the age and body habitus of most pilots compared to the skydivers, you can see why there are preferences.

A seat pack can place you up too high, and close to the canopy, while a back pack might put your knees too close to the panel- depends on the plane. Dan Tarasevich from Paraphernalia (softie chutes) can help to answer your questions. I started with a micro softie but found it very uncomfortable, with much of my lower back being unsupported, and went to a longer container. The pilot chutes and canopies (26 foot conical) are all pretty much the same, but you can specify a square. The master riggers and people I spoke with at various DZ's have said that unless you're an experienced skydiver it would be better to stick with a round. Being in the military we also have to maintain hanging harness, egress training, etc, so I am ok with a round and a plf. I hang around our DZ a lot with friends who work there, and have seen even experienced skydivers misjudge the wind, hit trees, flair early, etc. Again, ask around or go to the DZ and speak with their rigger.

Sean Tucker, the airshow pilot bailed out of his plane after loss of control authority. He was an experienced skydiver with many jumps, and had a square rig. He initially got hung up in a tail support cable but maintained his cool, got free, and deployed the chute.

Does your plane have inverted fuel and oil? Even with limited zero G and no negative G acro you still might consider a five point harness, with two distinct attachment points and two separate latches.

Make sure your straps are on tight, and then tighten them again before every flight- think about the location of the leg straps, opening shock, and your personal anatomy. You need to be ready to depart the plane- my criteria are a fire or loss of control functions and i am out. If its a loss of power I consider the terrain- I might jump rather than risk putting the plane into trees, flipping over while ditching over water or landing on a soft field.

Every time I exit the plane it's a practice egress- canopy, belts, exit. Then think stabilize, look, pull.

Thanks for that. The -8A isn't stressed for airshow aerobatics, and doesn't have inverted oil/gas. Further, at 54, I don't feel any burning desire to do anything violent.

With Mary in the back seat, able to smack me in the back of the head at will, I don't think I will be doing much more than simple rolls and loops. :D

My personal feeling is that I will be sitting on a legally required safety device that will never be used. That said, if the plane is on fire, I'm jumping out -- and it would be nice if the 'chute worked.

I'm not terribly concerned about controllability after the chute opens. Obviously it would suck to break an ankle after bailing out, but at that point being alive would feel like a bargain.

For you and your island location I'd be more concerned with being able to get out of the chute fast

Thanks for that. The -8A isn't stressed for airshow aerobatics, and doesn't have inverted oil/gas. Further, at 54, I don't feel any burning desire to do anything violent.

With Mary in the back seat, able to smack me in the back of the head at will, I don't think I will be doing much more than simple rolls and loops. :D

My personal feeling is that I will be sitting on a legally required safety device that will never be used. That said, if the plane is on fire, I'm jumping out -- and it would be nice if the 'chute worked.

I'm not terribly concerned about controllability after the chute opens. Obviously it would suck to break an ankle after bailing out, but at that point being alive would feel like a bargain.

I don't have a lot of experience in the 8/8A, but in the 7A, it would be darn near impossible to 'blow the canopy' while in flight. Some people have installed 'emergency pull tabs' where the canopy meets the rear part of the slider. Other than that, I think the stock canopies aren't really designed to be opened (in an emergency) in flight. The 8/8A airflow might be different to allow it to open, though. That would be a good question to ask the guru when he delivers next week.

For you and your island location I'd be more concerned with being able to get out of the chute fast

Just undo your chest strap one you're under canopy (you won't fall out), then after you land in the water swim out from under the canopy.

I think the best bet is to just replicate what DZ pilots wear, they are in the parachute/aircraft business and very into being froogle while maintaing quality.

Get a pilot rig with a square, it's all we operate

Last edited:
Allen Silver has always been friendly to me. Call him, he often has pre-owned (not "used") chutes that haven't made it on his website that can be had for discounted prices. He takes ~$100 off the list price for each year in service as it is his strong belief that they should be replaced every 20 years.

http://silverparachutes.com/

I'll second that recommendation.

I have a National 425 that I picked up from another club member. He could not get comfortable with it, I have no issues.

You need to decide what style you want, backpack, chair, or long style.

I'll second that recommendation.

I have a National 425 that I picked up from another club member. He could not get comfortable with it, I have no issues.

You need to decide what style you want, backpack, chair, or long style.

Gotta sit in the plane first!

Tom flew it today with the new adjustable rudder pedals (and new alternator). He said it made a world of difference, as the original pedals were set for a shorter pilot.

It's got a fresh annual in the logbook, now, and just a few more things to tweak before he flies it down from MN to TX. Waiting on a new nose gear axle, and to get one of the autopilot servos back from TruTrack, where we're having it rebuilt.

Parachutes are an important step, but they are Step #121, and I'm on step #43. :D

I guess I'll add my 2 cents....

If you can get a square, i would recommend it. We teach AFF students to fly a ram air parachute on the ground and they have never flown even an airplane. And since you are on an island, a steerable parachute will greatly help if you ever have to use it.

Also since there is a DZ on Mustang Island, go hang out and talk to the instructors there. I promise for the trade of a flight in the RV, you'll have instructors lining up to help give you all the ground training you'll ever want and most likely a few beers from the fridge after hours.

If you do get a ram air parachute and are willing, I would recommend doing a tandem skydive. Make sure to tell the instructor that you are wanting to learn to fly the parachute. Even though I always get the students (passengers) to fly the parachute, I would spend more time demonstrating and making sure you understood everything you needed to know. Might even pull a little higher to give you more "stick" time if you will.

You mentioned the fear about getting out of it in water, that same recommendation to go visit your local dropzone is good here too. In order to get a B license for skydiving, jumpers are required to do water training. I am sure that the instructor doing a water training would be willing to do a slightly modified training for you. Again this may require hanging out with some meat bombs eating and drinking around a pool for a few hours one evening generally having a good time... Oh the horror :p

I always suggest pilots take a little time and visit their local DZ for fellowship, we're all aviators and all love to talk about the sky :) you'll get a better understand of their SOP (like what altitude they instruct the jumpers NOT to cross the runway below, etc).

If any pilot is ever around the Thomaston, GA (OPN) area. I welcome you to stop in at Skydive Atlanta. I or any or my fellow instructors would happily do all I have suggested above.

Andy White

Just for reference: I'm an Accelerated Free Fall (AFF) Instructor, a Tandem Instructor, Private Pilot, and an owner of a Comanche 250.

Thanks, Andy!

The thought of jumping gives me the willies. The only thing that could make me overcome that fear would be the certainty of riding a disabled or out of control down to a nasty death.

We hang out with the jumpers all the time. In fact, we've got a package deal going with them right now -- his & her tandem jumps, plus two weeknights at our aviation themed hotel, for just $500.

That's a screaming deal (separately they would be $700), and we even throw in a bottle of celebratory Amelia's Landing wine, on ice. :D

I've spoken with them about emergency chutes. We shall see what comes of it.

Gotta sit in the plane first!

Tom flew it today with the new adjustable rudder pedals (and new alternator). He said it made a world of difference, as the original pedals were set for a shorter pilot.

It's got a fresh annual in the logbook, now, and just a few more things to tweak before he flies it down from MN to TX. Waiting on a new nose gear axle, and to get one of the autopilot servos back from TruTrack, where we're having it rebuilt.

Parachutes are an important step, but they are Step #121, and I'm on step #43. :D

Did I miss the pictures of this new plane in another thread?

Did I miss the pictures of this new plane in another thread?

Geez, apparently. I thought people were getting sick of looking at her! :D

Here she is:

8asu4y6u.jpg

Thanks for that. The -8A isn't stressed for airshow aerobatics

Sure it is. :) ...Not that there's such a thing as "airshow" aerobatic stress. The RV is stressed to +6/-3, same most other aerobatic airplanes except for some of the super monoplanes, which are +/-10G.

and doesn't have inverted oil/gas. Further, at 54, I don't feel any burning desire to do anything violent.

You don't need it for basic aerobatics. And about the only maneuvers in aerobatics that I'd say are "violent" (relatively speaking) are snaps and tailslides. You can put 6G on the airplane while doing aerobatics, but still do it smoothly.

Sure it is. :) ...Not that there's such a thing as "airshow" aerobatic stress. The RV is stressed to +6/-3, same most other aerobatic airplanes except for some of the super monoplanes, which are +/-10G.

You don't need it for basic aerobatics. And about the only maneuvers in aerobatics that I'd say are "violent" (relatively speaking) are snaps and tailslides. You can put 6G on the airplane while doing aerobatics, but still do it smoothly.

Agree. I am looking forward to loops, rolls, hammerheads, etc. I've got about 9 hours in-type, now, and have set 15 hours as the threshold for starter aerobatics.

Back