Emergency landing right next to KRHV

Wasn't me, either. I thought they were supposed to land in front of JC Penney and go pick up a change of underwear.

For the non-Bay Area folks, "expressways" in San Jose are surface streets. This one was just the road that parallels the runways on the northeast side. It was NOT I-280/680/880.

Looks like a nice emergency landing.

I was considering checking out on that aircraft, since the one at the club is down for annual and has some corrosion issues. I guess there are others....

Last edited:
Found the issue right here:

"A single-wing, fixed engine airplane made an emergency landing on a busy San Jose expressway, en route to the Reid-Hillview Airport, officials said. Bob Redell reports."

Planes are sure hard to keep flying when their engine isn't moving...

RHV is probably 5 minutes from my house, and I see/hear a lot of planes flying above my house, which is one thing that sparked my interest in GA. In fact, I gave some thought to starting training at AeroDynamic.

However, as I wrote in another thread, I probably won't start training for my PPL until I get back to Colorado. One reason (although probably not the main one) is where would you land in an engine-out emergency?

RHV is surrounded by suburban homes, shopping centers, etc. Capitol Expressway is probably the ONLY place a pilot could land. But Capitol is usually packed with cars, especially at that time of the morning. And although I've never paid that much attention to it, I would imagine it's got plenty of light poles and power lines up and down it, too.

I'm surprised there wasn't a collision with traffic, but major props to the pilot for landing safely!

I think that plane is in my logbook too from a trip out there years ago. Looks like they scavenged a tail off another Citabria.

....For the non-Bay Area folks, "expressways" in San Jose are surface streets.....

I was less confused with 'expressway'. what is a 'surface street', aren't they all (or mostly) on the surface?

I was less confused with 'expressway'. what is a 'surface street', aren't they all (or mostly) on the surface?

Western phraseology 101 lesson:

Freeway - Multiple lane roadway with no intersections and no pedestrian access. Equivalent to Eastern expressways but without tolls.

Highway - Major intra-city connector road that isn't a freeway.

Expressway (Western context) - Major arterial inner city road.

Surface Street - Everything else.

Freeway - Multiple lane roadway with no intersections and no pedestrian access. Equivalent to Eastern expressways but without tolls.

I reckon we just got dirt roads 'round here YEEHAWWWW

And when you're in Southern California, every highway begins with the word "the." :rofl:

Found the issue right here:

"A single-wing, fixed engine airplane made an emergency landing on a busy San Jose expressway, en route to the Reid-Hillview Airport, officials said. Bob Redell reports."

Planes are sure hard to keep flying when their engine isn't moving...

Plus it's really hard to fly straight and level with only one wing.

It is a plane from Aerodynamic. Time will tell what the issue was. Interesting though, and great job by those on board.

Never flew that one but I flew most of the Taylorcrafts Amelia had. . .and the J3. Been a while though. Got a ride in an E2 Cub that landed dead stick on 31R after the engine quit in the pattern. Owner told me it happened all the time and was the reason he stayed close to the field.....
Sounds like all ended well, no one and nothing hurt so file a hyped up story and go.

Frank

Back