Emergency landing on a playground by a helicopter

OMG, OMG, the children, think of the children, there should be a law, lets start a petition drive.....

Glad everyone walked away.

Those lucky frakking kids. No helicopter ever landed at MY school (though one does routinely land across the street, not that I ever get to see it).

Better to land at a spot where you can play and calm your nerves than crash and not walk away or get to play.

One of the news copters landed at my elem. school when I was a kid, due to fog quickly forming that morning. We had huge fields, no issue whatsoever, got to go look at the copter before lunch. He was gone by recess if I recall. No FAA issues, of course it was 1987...

When I was in elementary school, on the day the Marines came by to collect toys for Toys for Tots, Santa Claus would visit by helicopter (Bell 47), and landed on the playground.

I am sure someone would sue if they tried such an outrageous stunt now. We though it was cool.

Better to land at a spot where you can play and calm your nerves than crash and not walk away or get to play.

:lol:

The pilot has to have something to do while the mechanics fixes his ride...

Thanks for reminding me about playgrounds when under stress. I'm going to go deal with shoddy shop work then while walking home stop at the playground and swing and climb on things for a bit in the snow.

Thanks for reminding me about playgrounds when under stress. I'm going to go deal with shoddy shop work then while walking home stop at the playground and swing and climb on things for a bit in the snow.

Careful there, in todays age of 'no tolerance' policies that'll get you arrested as potential child molester in a hurry. I mean someone who disobeys the 'up to 8 years only' sign is capable of doing anything.

Our elementary school ballfield served as a transfer point for the local medevac helicopter. Allways fun to watch.

When I was in elementary school, on the day the Marines came by to collect toys for Toys for Tots, Santa Claus would visit by helicopter (Bell 47), and landed on the playground.

I am sure someone would sue if they tried such an outrageous stunt now. We though it was cool.

Why have we become so insanely scared of everything? I remember stuff like this when I was a kid also. Oh yeah, I forgot. Greedy Plaintiffs.

Why have we become so insanely scared of everything? I remember stuff like this when I was a kid also. Oh yeah, I forgot. Greedy Plaintiffs.

Not sure I have ever heard of anyone suing over it - more like too many people being precious.

Not sure I have ever heard of anyone suing over it - more like too many people being precious.

Not to worry Spike, just my rant on how we've become a "safety at all cost" society. I do think the legal environment is either a result of it or perhaps a cause, but that is just speculation on my part. You would obviously know more about that than I would.

Anything that is "cool" has an element of risk or perceived risk to it, that's why it is fascinating. All risk can be managed, but not eliminated at least in this world.

Those lucky frakking kids. No helicopter ever landed at MY school (though one does routinely land across the street, not that I ever get to see it).

St Louis PD used to land their Bell 47 at the park by my house a lot.

Helicopters still make school visits. It only took me a minute to find this one.

Careful there, in todays age of 'no tolerance' policies that'll get you arrested as potential child molester in a hurry. I mean someone who disobeys the 'up to 8 years only' sign is capable of doing anything.

Good bloody grief. That is another item on the undeniable proof that civilization has gone completely to hell. Luckily this playground is at the campground where I'm at and no whiney snots were around to have me arrested today. Knowing all the sheriff's that stop there twice a week for their dog training I'm probably pretty safe...

Back