Emergency Landing in MN

tonyholland00

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tony Holland
A 42-year-old Minneapolis woman was uninjured when she was forced to land a plane in a plowed field near Hamburg.

Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson says the incident happened Saturday afternoon. The woman was the only person on the plane when her instrument panel lost power and she had to land.

Olson says the Piper 28 aircraft landed safely without damage.

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating.

I wonder what in the panel would cause an emergency landing??

I'm thinking electrical smoke for a "right now" landing, other than that maybe lost without any nav and no clue where she was, and ran low on fuel?

Hmmm. I was out flying my taildragger within a few miles of where she landed Saturday afternoon. Didn't see or hear a thing though. And if I had to guess, that "loss of panel power" was a bit of mis-reporting. I wonder who it was, she must be from somewhere near me. Hamburg is about 20 miles from my house.

Or complete electrical failure, see a hole, make an emergency landing. I can envision a situation where you'd rather make an off airport landing in visual conditions than try and find an airport in IMC.

One of the things I remember clearly from my IFR checkride was the discussion during the oral that if my route wasn't within flying range of VFR weather (even if the entire route was IMC), I better think long and hard before launching in an airplane without much backup. With a handheld GPS and nav/comm though I'm more comfortable about my ability to shoot an approach somewhere if I have to.

Well i know that there was not a cloud in the sky on Saturday over all of Minnesota a absolutely perfect day to fly as long as your panel works i guess.

I am on board with mis-reporting as well. Sounds like she did a nice landing in the plowed field if nothing was hurt on the airplane.

A tachometer showing about 400 RPM (or whatever a windmilling prop turns at) and a reeeealy quiet engine? ;)

Back