Emergency Evacuation Training

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Airplane meets theatrical smoke/fog machine. We did this at work today to conduct an emergency evacuation drill. It was a great experience and I highly recommend you seek some sort of similar training at some point. I didn't realize just how little you can see with smoke in the cabin/cockpit until we were completely immersed in smoke this afternoon (you couldn't even see your hand in front of your face, it was truly 0/0).

We also had fire training and learned a lot about non-rechargeable lithium batteries. They can pose a fire hazard if handled improperly and require different fire fighting techniques to be extinguished properly. We watched numerous video clips of actual lithium battery fires conducted by FAA study down at CAMI. It was certainly an eye opener. :eek:

Here's one of the videos we watched during training: http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/2007Conference/files/Training_Videos/ThursPM/Videos/Laptop_master.wmv

Attachments

• IMG00109.jpg
    IMG00109.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG00110.jpg
    IMG00110.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG00111.jpg
    IMG00111.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Wow. The fact that ice just acts as an insulator really surprises me. In a GA cockpit, it seems like use the extinguisher, then pour any water, etc. on top of it. If none available, hope some males need to urinate (and that it's a rental aircraft :)). If none of the above is an option, jettison the laptop immediately, because you don't want it flaring while you're holding it! :no:

Wow. The fact that ice just acts as an insulator really surprises me. In a GA cockpit, it seems like use the extinguisher, then pour any water, etc. on top of it. If none available, hope some males need to urinate (and that it's a rental aircraft :)). If none of the above is an option, jettison the laptop immediately, because you don't want it flaring while you're holding it! :no:

The instructor who taught us yesterday mentioned a few key points I will share:

• Do NOT move the laptop since it could cause additional explosions (see the smoking laptop in LAX, the first video clip)
  • Use ALL fire extinguishing agents even if it appears to have been extinguished, the battery needs to be cooled down as much as possible
  • With non-rechargeable lithium batteries, water is the best fire fighting agent since it not only extinguishes the flames but also cools the battery down to minimize the effects of a thermal runaway condition

It's pretty interesting stuff and I learned a lot.

Back