eman1200 has made a decision!

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
chomping at the bit to get started, I emailed a few CFI's that I hadn't spoken with before. one emailed me back, we spoke on the phone last night, and I asked if first thing this morning we could get started. he agreed!

so off I drove to the further airport ( refer to http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58422 for my dilema on which airport to choose) this morning and met my new instructor. literally, he's not only new to me but new to instructing....I will be his first student!
now I know some of you will have a gripe with this, but I think it could be a good thing for both of us......I told him it reminds me of Jerry McGuire....."help me, help you!"! I think he's eager to instruct, and get that first student solo'd and checked out, so let it be me! and if he's an awesome instructor (who knows, maybe he's even reading this now) I would be happy to spread the word and leave referrals.
so we didn't actually fly, but we spent a good solid 1.5 hours on the ground going over a lot of stuff. we ran through the preflight checklist, sat in the plane, discussed instruments and whatnot.....then we schduled my first flying lesson for Thursday morning WOOOT!!

I can't wait. so, please go easy on the 'new instructor' aspect, I know there's pros and cons but I feel like it's worth a shot.

Everybody has to start somewhere, and you can bet the new CFI will work his ass off to make it work. Glad you made the call and Good luck!

chomping at the bit to get started, I emailed a few CFI's that I hadn't spoken with before. one emailed me back, we spoke on the phone last night, and I asked if first thing this morning we could get started. he agreed!

so off I drove to the further airport ( refer to http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58422 for my dilema on which airport to choose) this morning and met my new instructor. literally, he's not only new to me but new to instructing....I will be his first student!
now I know some of you will have a gripe with this, but I think it could be a good thing for both of us......I told him it reminds me of Jerry McGuire....."help me, help you!"! I think he's eager to instruct, and get that first student solo'd and checked out, so let it be me! and if he's an awesome instructor (who knows, maybe he's even reading this now) I would be happy to spread the word and leave referrals.
so we didn't actually fly, but we spent a good solid 1.5 hours on the ground going over a lot of stuff. we ran through the preflight checklist, sat in the plane, discussed instruments and whatnot.....then we schduled my first flying lesson for Thursday morning WOOOT!!

I can't wait. so, please go easy on the 'new instructor' aspect, I know there's pros and cons but I feel like it's worth a shot.

I was one of the first students for my instructor, he started me out the same week as three others, and I could not have been more pleased. The DPE spoke well of the level of preparedness that I and the other candidates who had preceded me, from the same instructor, had shown him. Same guy took me on through Instrument.

Now he flies for Delta.

If he's good, he's good, and that's that. Now, go have fun, and keep us in the loop!

I have a new instructor for the commercial rating, he's fresh out of embry riddle.

I was a tad concerned but after 2 hours of ground instruction on Sunday, I think he will do a great job. He also took the commercial checkride recently enough that he remembers most everything on there. I think that is an advantage newer instructors enjoy, they remember being in your shoes.

There are good new instructors and bad old instructors and bad new instructors and good old instructors.

If you are learning and are happy then who cares if he still wears diapers(though I am sure some of the old one wear diapers too).:wink2:

Awesome and good luck. I don't think there is anything wrong with using a new CFI, everyone was new once. I'm using a much newer CFI (700hrs) for my commercial than I did on my PPL and instrument and I'm very pleased so far. They still just LOVE to fly which is awesome. Not only is he going to teach you how to fly, you're going to teach him more than you can even imagine.

As long as you don't feel unsafe with the cfi and he's eager to answer your questions then there's no problem. And he will actually be learning too.

I was the first student (and I think still only one) that my instructor had and signed off. But he had already been flying bush planes in Central America and wasn't building time to get that next job. He was working as an A&P at the field I was training at, so enjoyed getting out of the mx hangar.

Watch your mouth.

There are good new instructors and bad old instructors and bad new instructors and good old instructors.

If you are learning and are happy then who cares if he still wears diapers(though I am sure some of the old one wear diapers too).:wink2:

Watch your mouth.
Are you a new instructor or an old instructor?

Remember the astronauts wore diapers too!:wink2:

Then again I would not be surprised my instructor wore diapers too because I am sure that some of the things I did when learning to fly made him soil his pants!

Last edited:
Eman..... I bet this will work out... Go have fun Thursday and report back.. I am betting he is the perfect instructor...:yes::yes:

You will be able to play off each others positive energy...

Last edited:
I can't remember for sure.

Are you a new instructor or an old instructor?

Remember the astronauts wore diapers too!:wink2:

Then again I would not be surprised my instructor wore diapers too because I am sure that some of the things I did when learning to fly made him soil his pants!

I'm glad my first few students gave me a chance 33 years ago! All got their licenses within a few months with good feedback from the examiner, so newbies can teach, too! Good luck!

Nothing wrong with a first time instructor. Every instructor was once new, and as Wayne said, you can bet that a new one will work hard to make sure it works out for you. Have fun! So long as you do, it should go well.

Congratulations on making your decision! I'll look forward to hearing about your lessons. As for your instructor being brand new, the only thing I would worry about is that he'll be a little more fearful than an old-timer and might not be as willing to let you make mistakes. In other words, he might overcontrol the plane. Otherwise, he'll probably put a ton of effort into helping you achieve your dream, because this is new and exciting for him as well!

I told you I was going to PM you with some tips for making the most of your training, based on some of the hard and expensive lessons I learned, but I decided to share them here instead, in case they might be of help to someone else, too.

So, here they are:
1) Your CFI may be the pilot in command, but you are the consumer in command. You deserve to be treated fairly, honestly, respectfully and professionally. If you are uncomfortable with the teacher-student relationship for any reason, find another instructor.
2) Insist on using a syllabus in your training. It will keep your lessons focused and help you measure your progress.
3) Learn as much as you can about flying on your own, whether through self-study or enrolling in a ground school.
4) Take the FAA written exam as soon as you can. The fund of knowledge required to pass it will help you make better sense of your training.
5) Fly as frequently as possible.
6) Even though you may have no idea yet how to fly a plane, you are developing and demonstrating PIC skills from day one, starting with your first preflight. Don't hesitate to make fly/no fly decisions based on your knowledge of FAA regulations and your own comfort zone, even if the instructor disagrees with your decision.

Good luck to you!

thanks for the tips!!

Congratulations on making your decision! I'll look forward to hearing about your lessons. As for your instructor being brand new, the only thing I would worry about is that he'll be a little more fearful than an old-timer and might not be as willing to let you make mistakes. In other words, he might overcontrol the plane. Otherwise, he'll probably put a ton of effort into helping you achieve your dream, because this is new and exciting for him as well!

I told you I was going to PM you with some tips for making the most of your training, based on some of the hard and expensive lessons I learned, but I decided to share them here instead, in case they might be of help to someone else, too.

So, here they are:
1) Your CFI may be the pilot in command, but you are the consumer in command. You deserve to be treated fairly, honestly, respectfully and professionally. If you are uncomfortable with the teacher-student relationship for any reason, find another instructor.
2) Insist on using a syllabus in your training. It will keep your lessons focused and help you measure your progress.
3) Learn as much as you can about flying on your own, whether through self-study or enrolling in a ground school.
4) Take the FAA written exam as soon as you can. The fund of knowledge required to pass it will help you make better sense of your training.
5) Fly as frequently as possible.
6) Even though you may have no idea yet how to fly a plane, you are developing and demonstrating PIC skills from day one, starting with your first preflight. Don't hesitate to make fly/no fly decisions based on your knowledge of FAA regulations and your own comfort zone, even if the instructor disagrees with your decision.

Good luck to you!

LOL that is funny:lol::lol:

thanks y'all. scheduled to fly tomorrow morning!!!

thanks y'all. scheduled to fly tomorrow morning!!!

Have fun and most of all, remember, to have fun! You will get overloaded, don't worry about it.

We're all counting on you to! No pressure. :D

David

Back