Emailing Large and Multiple Files

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
On occasion I have the need to send large files, Usually multiple jpg. photos or power points. I may do this a few times a year but not really enough times to make paying a site like Yousendit $16.00 per month.

Can anyone recommend a free large file sending site such as Yousendit?

I've used Dropbox to send someone manuals before. Put the file in the share folder and you can send the other person a link to it.

You could share on google documents as well, well now they call it Google Drive.

Google Docs (free) will hold large files. You send it to them as a link and the receiver can access them.

I've used Dropbox to send someone manuals before. Put the file in the share folder and you can send the other person a link to it.

Yep.

And you can actually share it with just the person who needs it.

Adam -- either Google Drive or Dropbox. I personally prefer Dropbox.

you don't have to subscribe to YouSendit Either,.. I don't, I have used it on and off for free for the past 8 years or so.

Adam:
DropBox. They actually fight for privacy in court. I'd still recommend encrypting any sensitive documents before putting them up there. And you can share them with a single recipient.

If you want, you can sign up as a referral from me at http://db.tt/EXCcVifu and we each get a bit extra free storage. Otherwise, you can just go to www.dropbox.com.

BTW, when I say large, my free storage right now is around 19GB, though some (half?) is because of an educational institution affiliation.

Another vote for Dropbox. I use it all the time, and never have had an issue.

On occasion I have the need to send large files, Usually multiple jpg. photos or power points. I may do this a few times a year but not really enough times to make paying a site like Yousendit $16.00 per month.

Can anyone recommend a free large file sending site such as Yousendit?

What is the level of security? Are these privelidged and confidential files that you want 100% confidence that under no circumstances they could be "discovered"? For all of that stuff we have to use Crypt and Share". I believe that is paid site/service. May or may not be of use to you.

Gary

I've used SendSpace.com in the past, works well, files get deleted after a week, free.

But, I love DropBox too. However, be aware that if you share a link with someone, and that someone shares the link with someone else, the someone else can get at the files without specifically having permissions to them. Just an FYI... Other than that, I think Dropbox is awesome.

FYI, there is a new Dropbox-like cloud storage service available: http://tresorit.com/

Between now and 5/20/13, sign up via the link in this Lifehacker article, and get 50GB of storage instead of the normal 5GB: http://lifehacker.com/5994394/get-50gb-of-free-encrypted-online-storage-from-tresorit

Client-side software (i.e., the bit that runs on your local machine) encrypts all files prior to uplinking to the cloud.

Doesn't help OP with sharing stuff, but might be helpful for others looking at this thread.

Back