Email Virus

Shipoke

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
shipoke
If you gert a email saying POSTCARD dont open it, It will wipe out your harddrive.
Microsoft says this is a virus that has no fix for it.
Dave G

http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/email_netiquette.html

Netiquette rule #11. Don't forward (or send) warnings about viruses.

<rant on>

I'm tired of emails and posts that warn me about viruses. Am I the only one?? I understand the sender's good intent, but it's not the early 80's any longer. Users should have and use good anti-spam and anti-phishing techniques. Don't need our hand held for every item we "might" get.

</rant off>

I've been getting quite a few of similar email. I delete them from the email server before downloading them.

Admittedly, there was a big slam of "greeting card" emails that linked to toxic sites not too long ago - but nothing that was "unfixable".

http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/email_netiquette.html

Netiquette rule #11. Don't forward (or send) warnings about viruses.

<rant on>

I'm tired of emails and posts that warn me about viruses. Am I the only one?? I understand the sender's good intent, but it's not the early 80's any longer. Users should have and use good anti-spam and anti-phishing techniques. Don't need our hand held for every item we "might" get.

</rant off>

Oh how I agree. The other day a user sent out an email to the "All Users" address. Ten seconds after getting his email I linked back the snopes article showing that he had fallen prey to a hoax. He then came over to my desk snappin mad at me for saying he was mistaken.

Oh how I agree. The other day a user sent out an email to the "All Users" address. Ten seconds after getting his email I linked back the snopes article showing that he had fallen prey to a hoax. He then came over to my desk snappin mad at me for saying he was mistaken.

On my job we have no end of rocket surgeons who do a reply all saying "not me" or "please take my name off this list." These are the peers I'm up against at review time. :dunno:

No good deed goes unpunished. I just don't feed the email swamp. Delete the incoming, ignore the "virus threat", "You have just won...", and all the other BS.

No good deed goes unpunished. I just don't feed the email swamp. Delete the incoming, ignore the "virus threat", "You have just won...", and all the other BS.

Unfortunately, the damage often is done when the mail is sent, even if you never open it - nor even receive it, for that matter. If any user on that endless FWD list is infected with any of a number of email address-harvesting spambots, then every address in the list will be added to spam lists.

It took several years' worth of email addresses rendered useless by spam for my mother to grasp this concept. Luckily, i have a near-endless supply, but still.

Rich

On my job we have no end of rocket surgeons who do a reply all saying "not me" or "please take my name off this list." These are the peers I'm up against at review time. :dunno:

We had one of those a couple of weeks ago, and within 24 hrs 15million emails were generated due to the reply all. :confused:

I'm tired of emails and posts that warn me about viruses. Am I the only one?? I understand the sender's good intent, but it's not the early 80's any longer. Users should have and use good anti-spam and anti-phishing techniques.

And I really hate it when people blindly forward things without checking Snopes or the BS meter.

Back