Email repetition

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
My wife uses Outlook Express. She receives her mail okay but when she sends something or forwards an email she receives a "Internet Connection Error."

The email then stays in the outbox and continues to send the email several times. ( anywhere from 5 to 25 times it repeats)

The result is everyone then gets the email numerous times. I have ran the anti-virus and it picks up nothing.

Any help appreciated.

Terry

Sounds like she has more than one mail service configured. One works, the other errors. She thinks the whole thing didn't work.

Could have been added by accident or via malware. I'd scan the crap out of that machine and also go hunting in the configuration for a second mail server.

Outlook Express is end-of-life'd by Microsoft and generally unsupported. They're going to continue patches into 2014, but the reality is that they've moved on. Its a dead man walking.

Remember also that security software manufacturers also take their cues from the "upstream" manufacturer. A brief Google search shows that many don't consider a machine running OE as a viable platform for their security software to adequately do the job.

As the joking poster mentioned, Thunderbird is a pretty nice replacement for OE. Lots of features, not EOL, etc. It's also cross-platform supported if you ever ditch Microsoft. Huge user base. There's other options but T-Bird has been around a long time and does a good job.

Who was joking? I was completely serious. I wouldn't encourage anyone to use Outlook Express. Ever.

Been using thunderbird ever since Netscape. No complaints. Zip. Nada.

Only use outlook (in any form) when forced on me such as work webmail.

I would encourage her to migrate. Configure it properly. And select as default mail handler.

Who was joking? I was completely serious. I wouldn't encourage anyone to use Outlook Express. Ever.

Heh. I know but go easy on the poor folks. They don't know any better. MSOE has always been crap. ;)

Back