ELT status

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I have an older ELT. I was told that it is now outdated and that I need to upgrade to the new 406.

I'll probably do it anyway since my plane is in for annual now, but I'd like to know if this is now a required upgrade.

The short answer is no it is not required.

Not required by regulation but regulation rarely equals common sense. Just do it.

Better yet get a GOOD! PLB from someone like ARC. Most are around $300 but are much more accurate than a lot of the 406 units. When you activate the PLB help is on its way minutes after you push the button and is accurate within yards of your location. When they get a signal from a 406 they screw around for a couple of hours or more before finally sending out help. Don

Better yet get a GOOD! PLB from someone like ARC. Most are around $300 but are much more accurate than a lot of the 406 units. When you activate the PLB help is on its way minutes after you push the button and is accurate within yards of your location. When they get a signal from a 406 they screw around for a couple of hours or more before finally sending out help. Don
What if you are unconscious after the crash? Will it trigger automatically?

But I already authorized my A&P to install his preferred ELT.

But I already authorized my A&P to install his preferred ELT.

You do have to push the button to activate it. When I install an ELT I ask the owner are you going to be upside down or right side up when you crash. If the antennae is on the top of the plane and it is upside down little or no signal gets out. The PLB is just one extra safety item that doesn't cost a lot of money and you can have it with you for any activity like hiking. Don

Are you sure you need one? How far do you travel? Some planes never leave the pea patch and it is not required at all.

On your emergency checklist, right after call MAYDAY, add activate PLB. No need to wait till you're down.

And on a related note... if you're going down, do you hit the ELT switch on the panel or do you wait for it to self activate on the ground?

On your emergency checklist, right after call MAYDAY, add activate PLB. No need to wait till you're down.

And on a related note... if you're going down, do you hit the ELT switch on the panel or do you wait for it to self activate on the ground?

I would hit the ELT switch on the panel. And a 406 ELT will broadcast your gps position instantly to SAR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would hit the ELT switch on the panel. And a 406 ELT will broadcast your gps position instantly to SAR

Well that depends on your definition of "instantly"

Some if not all 406 elts have a 50 second delay.

Well that depends on your definition of "instantly"

Some if not all 406 elts have a 50 second delay.

Modern ones do not is my understanding.

Are you sure you need one? How far do you travel? Some planes never leave the pea patch and it is not required at all.
Almost all of my trips are cross country. This year, we made separate from trips from our home in Florida to Texas, california (Catalina Island) Canada, Connecticut,and Wisconsin. Plus at least a dozen trips to various parts of Florida and Georgia.

I must have an old school 406 elt then. Read the manuals carefully and with gusto...

Yes and a good reason to activate in the air if you have an engine failure or similar "I'm going down" emergency. It will keep sending location as long as it can.

I upgraded mine when I started flying my young children.

Registered 406 beacons all use the same rescue pathway through The USAF MCC. How they get dispatched from there depends on where you are and who's charged with coming to get you. The statement that a PLB gets a faster response than an ELT is completely inaccurate.

Most current model 406 ELTs offer GPS enabling. 406s are really good without GPS enabling but they're better with it, especially in the case the beacon will only ping for a short time. My ACK E-04 allows simple connection to my G3X system or any popular aviation handheld. Other brands have internal GPS. Learn the facts about the units you're considering.

If you like the PLB option look at an Inreach. You can text from it or bluetooth to your smart phone. It tracks and transmits your position to whomever you choose to see it. It uses GEOS for 9-1-1 and that works pretty much the same as a PLB, but the GEOS center transfers the beacon info to MCC.

You are required to have an ELT if you fly over 50 miles from the take off point.

FAR 91.207
3) Aircraft while engaged in training operations conducted entirely within a 50-nautical mile radius of the airport from which such local flight operations began;

It's not required, nor is it honestly outdated, depending on where you're flying, go anywhere near people and go say something on 121.5 see how many milliseconds it takes for a army of people to say GUUUUUUARD.

Personally I'd go for a spot or spider tracks before a 406, but if you got the jingle in your pocket, go for it

It's not required, nor is it honestly outdated, depending on where you're flying, go anywhere near people and go say something on 121.5 see how many milliseconds it takes for a army of people to say GUUUUUUARD.

Personally I'd go for a spot or spider tracks before a 406, but if you got the jingle in your pocket, go for it
Ahhh, it's only about a quarter of one Social Security check.

Thanks kids.

Ahhh, it's only about a quarter of one Social Security check.

Thanks kids.

I wouldn't know, by the time I'm old enough that thing is going to be empty.

If you're worrie enough to get a 406, you should have a SPOT or slider tracks first, also make sure it's GPS enabled

The old 121.5 was pretty poor, close to useless, really, except for the occasional "success"; certainly the ROI for the fleet as a whole wasn't there. Anyway, you can posit an infinite number of scenarios to upgrade, or not, and the 406 is/is far superior; on the other hand, a personal device would probably serve just as well as upgrading to a 406. If you hit soft enough to survive, something in-hand will likely serve. If the old ELT works, if the antenna isn't snapped off, or that part of the airplane isn't lying on top of it, it'll get you found - probably take a little longer, so yeah, you could bleed to death, etc., if you can't reach your personal device.

And a 406 ELT will broadcast your gps position instantly to SAR.

Nope. Only if it has been interfaced with onboard GPS equipment will it transmit coordinates. If it has a built-in GPS, that GPS has to boot up when the G-switch fires (or the panel switch is actuated) and it has to find satellites and figure out where it is, then transmit the coordinates.

And it's not instant. As someone else pointed out, there is usually a 50-second delay. Plenty of time for the airplane to sink or burn or explode or whatever.

The common 406 works on the same doppler principle as the old 121.5. The higher frequency, and better frequency stability, gives better and tighter resolution for location, but it still leaves a radius to search. It also transmits a 121.5 signal for the SAR guys to home in on once they're in the area.

And that 406 must be registered with the appropriate national registry for it to be of any real use. The 406 is encoded with the 24-digit transponder code assigned to the airplane's registration, so that if they get an ELT signal that identifies itself as being from N1234XY, the system checks the flight plans and will act quicker than if they think it might be a false alarm. And they know who to contact if they get a signal, since the owner must provide contact information for himself and several other people. Rogue ELTs can be shut off way sooner, saving everyone a lot of headache trying to figure out whose ELT is chirping away.

I often find 406s improperly mounted. It seems that the guys doing the installations aren't reading the whole installation manual, or are just ignoring it. Artex, for instance, has this to say about the mounting:

RTCA
1)DO-204, § 3.1.8 guidelines for mounting a ELT:
a)The ELT shall be mounted to primary aircraft load carrying structures, such as trusses, bulkheads,
longerons, spars, or floor beams.
b)The mounts shall have a maximum static local deflection no greater than 0.1 inches (2.5 mm) when
a force of 100 lbs (450 newtons) is applied to the mount in the most flexible direction. Deflection
measurements shall be made with reference to another part of the aircraft not less than 1 foot (0.3
meters) nor more than 3 feet (1.0 meters) from the mounting location.
2)DO-182, § 6.2.2.b recommends that:
a)To maximize the probability of the ELT transmitting a detectable signal after a crash, all ELT system
components, which must survive a crash intact, e.g. transmitter and external antenna, should be
attached to the airframe in such a manner that the attachment system can support a 100g load,
(ELT weight x 100, ELT antenna weight x 100, etc.) applied through the center of gravity of the
component (ELT, antenna, etc.) in the plus and minus directions of the three principal axes of the
aircraft.
b)Post-crash critical components of the ELT system, e.g. transmitter and external antenna, should be
mounted as close to each other as possible.
c)The antenna coax cable should not cross any production breaks, e.g., major structure sections, such
that the ELT and antenna are in the same section of the aircraft and as close together as possible.
d)If the ELT and external antenna are on opposite sides of an airframe production break, the
components should be secured to each other by a tether that can support a 100g
load (ELT weightx 100). The interconnecting antenna-to-ELT coax cable should have sufficient slack on both ends
that it will not be subjected to any tensile load and should be tied loosely to the tether.

CAUTION: MANY ORIGINAL ELT INSTALLATIONS ARE INADEQUATE AS FAR AS UNIT LOCATION AND
SURFACE RIGIDITY ARE CONCERNED. BECAUSE OF THE CRITICAL FUNCTION AN ELT
PERFORMS, IT IS IMPORTANT THE INSTALLATION FOLLOWS THE INSTRUCTIONS AND
RECOMMENDATIONS HEREIN.
CAUTION: THE MOUNTING SURFACE MUST BE EXTREMELY RIGID; THEREFORE, MOUNTING AN ELT
DIRECTLY TO THE AIRCRAFT SKIN IS UNACCEPTABLE. MOUNTING THE ELT DIRECTLY TO
THE AIRCRAFT SKIN INDUCES “CRASH HIDING” VIBRATIONS AND PROVIDES A VERY
POOR MOUNTING SURFACE.
CAUTION: AVOID LOCATING THE ELT WHERE IT WILL BE SUBJECTED TO UNPROTECTED EXPOSURE
TO HARSH CHEMICAL FLUIDS SUCH AS DEICING COMPOUNDS. THESE TYPES OF CHEMICAL FLUIDS CAN PROMOTE
CRACKING AND FRACTURING OF THE ELT MOUNTING FRAME AND HOUSING COMPONENTS BYDEGRADING
THE STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY OF THESE COMPONENTS. THESE SAME CHEMICAL AGENTS MAY ALSO CAUSE CORROSION
OF ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS.
WARNING: AVOID LOCATING THE ELT IN SUCH A LOCATION WHERE IT MAY BE SUBJECT TO FLYING
OBJECTS OR AIRCRAFT STRUCTURAL PARTS THAT MAY IMPACT THE ELT DURING ANAIRCRAFT CRASH.
MOUNTING AN ELT IN A VULNERABLE AREA CAN RESULT IN ANIMPACT BEYOND THE ELT'S TSO CRASH RATING OF 100G,
CAUSING DAMAGE AND PREVENTING CORRECT OPERATION DURING A POST-CRASH ENVIRONMENT.

I regularly find 406s installed way out of conformity with these requirements. The old ELTs were often mounted to a bracket riveted to the aircraft skin, and they're way too flexible. You can't just bolt the new ELT to that old mount. False alarms, or failure to trigger in a crash, become much more likely. I find them sitting right in baggage compartments where they get bashed, the cables get torn, the switch gets bumped to "On." The owner has paid for an ELT that might not save him, simply because the installer didn't do the job properly.

I have an older ELT. I was told that it is now outdated and that I need to upgrade to the new 406.

I'll probably do it anyway since my plane is in for annual now, but I'd like to know if this is now a required upgrade.

Do as you like, but ELTs do not save many lives after a single engine aircraft accident. They do aid in the recovery of your remains.

My PLB hangs from my survival kit that hangs on the passenger seat. If I'm going down I will activate both it and the ELT, then sling my SK over my shoulder and have it when I egress after a stellar landing in a remote field without any injuries or further damage to the plane (at least that's how it will be portrayed in the movie.)

My PLB hangs from my survival kit that hangs on the passenger seat. If I'm going down I will activate both it and the ELT, then sling my SK over my shoulder and have it when I egress after a stellar landing in a remote field without any injuries or further damage to the plane (at least that's how it will be portrayed in the movie.)
...unless the movie traces your remains to an unmarked grave on Saipan. ;)

Back