ELT reporting

deaston

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
Today while on flight following, I heard center and an airline pilot discussing a minor emergency going on at a class C that was just off my route. Being curious, I turned on the audio of my second radio on 121.5. When I did, I heard what I'm pretty sure was an ELT beacon. The signal faded after a couple of minutes. I was about 30nm from the class C. Not knowing the protocol, I called center and reported it. The response I got was a lukewarm "thanks".

So what is the protocol for reporting ELTs? Still a noob...

Thanks!

If you hear one, ask someone if it has been reported. Something along the line.... "Center, whippersnapper 123 is receiving an ELT signal, has that been reported?" And then go from there.

I heard one right after takeoff from Albuquerque one night. Before I went to departure I asked tower about the ELT I was receiving. They do not monitor 121.5. That started the process, long story short it was a small plane parked at a tie down at ABQ.

I think they already knew what the emergency was.

No harm done it reporting it anyway.

It's useful to know where you were when you first heard it, and when you stop hearing it.

I report all potential emergencies to ATC. Lately, there have been a lot of fires.

Here is what a 121.5 ELT sounds like, just to verify that is indeed what you heard:

Last edited:
Today while on flight following, I heard center and an airline pilot discussing a minor emergency going on at a class C that was just off my route. Being curious, I turned on the audio of my second radio on 121.5. When I did, I heard what I'm pretty sure was an ELT beacon. The signal faded after a couple of minutes. I was about 30nm from the class C. Not knowing the protocol, I called center and reported it. The response I got was a lukewarm "thanks".

So what is the protocol for reporting ELTs? Still a noob...

Thanks!
Don't sit on your hands, listen in and see if any one else has reported it.
Tell them what you head and where.

Don't sit on your hands, listen in and see if any one else has reported it.
Tell them what you head and where.

That's what I did. I recall now that I was on with approach. They just didn't seem very interested, which made me think I was telling the wrong person. Glad to know that is the protocol. I don't that came up during training.

What time was it? ELT testing can be done for the first 5 min after the hour. Don

What time was it? ELT testing can be done for the first 5 min after the hour. Don

This seems likely. I didn't record the time, but backing into it from my arrival time, could have been about then. That would explain the big yawn from approach. It was near an Air Force base too. Do they do a lot of ELT testing?

So if you hear one just after the top of the hour, do you ignore it or go ahead and report it anyway?

Yup, just let ATC know, they might already know, or hey might not, err on the side of caution.

This seems likely. I didn't record the time, but backing into it from my arrival time, could have been about then. That would explain the big yawn from approach. It was near an Air Force base too. Do they do a lot of ELT testing?

So if you hear one just after the top of the hour, do you ignore it or go ahead and report it anyway?
Testing is supposed to be no more than three sweeps, and never on a 406 (most of them also transmit on 121.5, and sometimes 243 as well).

When in doubt, report it. Most of the time, it's a mechanic screwing up (including improper disposal) or a very "firm" landing. But it could be someone bleeding in a ditch.

Also defeats the whole point of having a ELT if no one does anything when they hear one going off.

Back