Elite RC-1 and 8710

coflyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
coflyer
I've scheduled my IR check ride for next week. I did 5.5 hours on a Elite RC-1, and logged the time as simulated instrument and dual instruction. In the 8710 form, the Aeronautical Experience Grid shows three columns for those devices as following

Training Device / Simulator / PCATD

Does my 5.5 hour simulated instrument time on Elite RC-1 belong to Training Device or PCATD? According to the flight school website, Elite RC-1 is an AATD. Is it sort of PCATD? This is a part 61 school, should I show any document to the DPE to justify that this time on Elite RC-1 counts towards the 40 hour instrument requirement?

Thank you for your comments.

If it's certified as an AATD then you would put the time logged in that device in the "Training Device" column on IACRA/8710-1.

I never log simulated instrument or dual in a simulator/AATD because I consider it is assumed to be both. It also keeps those columns limited to time in an airplane.

In terms of justifying the time, reference 14 CFR 61.65(i)

(i) Use of an aviation training device. A maximum of 10 hours of instrument time received in an aviation training device may be credited for the instrument time requirements of this section if--

• (1) The device is approved and authorized by the FAA; (2) An authorized instructor provides the instrument time in the device;
    (3) No more than 10 hours of instrument time in a flight simulator or flight training device was credited for the instrument time requirements of this section;
    (4) A view-limiting device was worn by the applicant when logging instrument time in the device; and
    (5) The FAA approved the instrument training and instrument tasks performed in the device.

Last edited:
Actually, I don't know if it is certified.

This sentence "Up to 20 hour of instrument time can be logged in our Elite RC-1 AATD", is on the flight school website. I haven't seen any official document for this claim yet.

My CFII logged this time (5.5 hours) as PCATD in my logbook though.

Is the Elite RC-1 at your location certified as an AATD? If so, you should put it under the "Training Device" column.

Actually, I don't know if it is certified.

This sentence "Up to 20 hour of instrument time can be logged in our Elite RC-1 AATD", is on the flight school website. I haven't seen any official document for this claim yet.

My CFII logged this time (5.5 hours) as PCATD in my logbook though.

Ask the school to see the letter of certification from the FSDO. The way I read 61.65(i), a maximum of 10 hours in an AATD may be credited toward the instrument time requirements, not 20 hours.

It does sound like its approved and you can log up to 10 hrs. Its unlikely that the DPE will ask to see the document, he/she may already know from prior students that your school has an approved device. Of course, might want to confirm that w your cfi.

Back