Elevated liver enzymes

A

Anonon

My last blood test showed AST at 99 and ALT at 54. That seems awfully high (99 is more than double the upper reference range) for an otherwise healthy person who has no risk factors for liver disease? Could something that high be a lab error? Stress or exercise related?

Hey anon.

I was on Rx anti-inflamatory prior to a recent knee surgery. It just so happened I needed blood work done about 2 weeks after starting the Rx and my AST and ALT were about 100. I spoke with my PCP and we discussed causes (fatty liver, etc.). I informed him about the Rx and inquired about any causation. We reviewed about a half ream of paper I printed off discussing causes and it was decided to stop the Rx and get retested in a month. A month later my labs were back in the low 30's and have remained there the last 6 months. It was the first case my PCP saw first hand caused by an anti-inflamatory.

Just one man's experience. Good luck.

*edit* The Rx was Voltaren as shown in Troy's link.

Twice normal is not NECESSARILY a bad thing. But I agree with Kevin. What if anything are you taking as far as medicines? OTC stuff, too....

Thanks for the replies!

I'm not on any Rx, and I don't believe I was taking any OTC prior to my test. I seldom do. I do take a small dose of glucosamine each morning. I'm in my mid-thirties and slender and everything else including triglycerides and cholesterol were within limits.

This was an occupational exam (the results were sent to me as a courtesy) and so I will probably need to schedule another test with a PCP.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back