Electronics in the cockpit

Billnye

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bill Nye
Hi everyone,
I am curious to know what types of electronics you use at the helm. I'm sure this has been touched on before (please provide a link if so), but I would love to know what/how you use today's gadgets.

Do you use an iPad? Tablet? Do you use any accessories for those? Any nifty charging accessories? Do you use any cellular/wifi add-ons?

Also, any cool software like fore flight?

Thanks!
BN

Ipad air and iphone 6s+, both loaded with ForeFlight Pro. Both charged from panel power. I use a ram yoke mount for the air, and a ram X-grip mount for the phone with a suction cup(left side of windscreen).

Both talk to a Stratus 2S box for ADSB weather/traffic/metars etc as well as backup attitude via AHRS.

The ipad is wifi+cellular. It's not entirely necessary, but it's very useful if you can't find wifi.

Almost exactly the same as @fiveoboy01 except with an iPad mini. I should mount the phone too. But I also fly a G1000, so that'd be a LOT of glass lol

Ipad mini with Foreflight as EFB on Ram yoke mount
Stratus 2 Receiver on glare shield
Iphone with FF Backup with Ram X Grip suction mount
Red/White LED Flashlight
Ipad and Stratus wired into 12v Power outlet with cables run up through dash for clean cable runs
Handheld Radio w/ Headset Adapter
Pulse Oximeter

...and most importantly...Ram Cup Holder with Suction cup mount that fits my insulated canteen bottle!

Last edited:
iPad Mini and iPhone 6 with ForeFlight. USB to a cig power port on the panel.

I also have a handheld radio with headset jack adapters behind the front seat. Though, I don't really consider that a "neat gadget" LOL.

Coolest thing I've seen is an iPad mounted to the glareshield with the audio plugged into the jumpseat audio panel. The captain told me he uses it during transoceanic flights for movies.

Great input so far - thanks everyone!

Kind of related headset question... I have molded 'in ears' from my time working in the music industry. These are sound canceling and have an 1/8th inch headphone jack. Any idea how to add a microphone and use these for flying? I know complete sound canceling might be a bad idea for hearing potential engine problems but I'm interested to know if it's possible.

Maybe 1/8th inch to 1/4 jack and then some type of microphone headset?

My brain is an electrochemical computer. And judging by my last two landings, it has bugs that need fixing.

Great input so far - thanks everyone!

Kind of related headset question... I have molded 'in ears' from my time working in the music industry. These are sound canceling and have an 1/8th inch headphone jack. Any idea how to add a microphone and use these for flying? I know complete sound canceling might be a bad idea for hearing potential engine problems but I'm interested to know if it's possible.

Maybe 1/8th inch to 1/4 jack and then some type of microphone headset?

For recording audio, I just use one of those phone hands free deals with the ear buds and the inline mic.
dad the whole thing up into a ball and stick in one of the earphone cups.

I keep an iPad mini in the cockpit, mounted to the yoke for IFR. The point is to hold charts and approach plates, nothing more.

Otherwise, keep the distractions to a minimum. Flying an approach is enough work without adding extra items to the mix.

That's the deal regardless of avionics. It's especially important with GNSS and coupled VNAV. You need to manage those systems even when your iPad demands your attention, and they can do bad things quickly. With such a system, you will spend a lot of your time managing the system, that you would have spent just flying the aircraft without them.

keep the distractions to a minimum. Flying an approach is enough work without adding extra items to the mix
Big agreement to this.

Portable electronics are useful in the cockpit, but during the high workload phases, you need to shut down and put away everything you don't need.

but during the high workload phases, you need to shut down and put away everything you don't need.

Are you seriously suggesting that I turn off Game of Thrones on my Ipad mid episode just because it is time to land?...the Hell you say!

Hi everyone,
I am curious to know what types of electronics you use at the helm.....

I don't drive a boat but in the plane it's a nexus 7 with garmin pilot as my primary, followed by whatever gps is in the plane I happen to be flying at that time. iphone w/garmin pilot as backup. 'chute would be my primary backup but I don't fly a cirrus.

Ellipses 8 with Avare for XC. Local flights I don't look at a thing.

I don't drive a boat but
You steer a boat.

Samsung 6 with Droidefb Samsung table with Droidefb. Stratux Old handheld GPS stuck in a pocket. Portable Icon radio with headset adapter... Charts in the headphone bag. Dad's aluminum E6B velcroed to a panel.

It's great having electronics in the cockpit now. I don't have to use my metal landing calculator anymore. .... Just kidding!

I run WingX on my iPad 2 and have an iLevil for ADS-B / AHRS / GPS feed to WingX. I also have WingX on my iPhone 6+ for backup. My iPad is in a Ram yoke mount. This setup works great for me.

Back