EFB choice questions

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
I have been looking at the HP TC1100 since it was mentioned on here earlier and was doing some pondering. After the other discussion on Oziexplorer and having a moving map for VFR charts with a GPS receiver, I was wondering if it would be useful to get the TC1100 and use Oziexplorer. I have a spare copy of Windows 7 that can use the touch functions of the tablet.

My big questions are 1) are there free/cheap IFR charts and terminal procedures that are georeferenced so I could have moving map while IFR (it doesn't look like the FAA ones are) and 2) I see that you can get a WAAS GPS receiver, what purpose would this serve? Can I use the WAAS to show vertical information on a referenced approach too?

Hope these are coherent, I've been writing too much tonight.
Thanks

I've got the TC 1100 and use pdf versions of the maps with no georeference. Look into this tablet. I've had mine for 5 years with no problem, but I don't think HP makes them any more. I would look into whatever is the newer technology when it comes to tablets.

The problem is, I'm trying to get into this for as little as possible. At >$500 for a minimal new tablet, it's too much right now. It looks like there is still a lot of support for the TC1100 despite being discontinued, but I may be wrong. How do you like yours?

Back