EDM-830 and Osh discount

ircphoenix

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ircphoenix
I have my new-to-me Cherokee 140/160. I don't have any type of fuel flow gauge. I have the standard engine gauges. My question... since EDM is discounting their stuff during OSH, should I get this for my plane, or am I just looking to get toys that I don't need in something that doesn't need it?

For what's it's worth...I absolutely love my fs-450 in my cherokee. Bought it at oshkosh last year. I mean love it. It is very accurate after calibrating it. I may now get the 700 but not sure. Plane has been here since 68 without one and going good. But same could be said about the fuel scan.

If you got the money go for it! You will love all the info you get. Now I wish I got CHT info. Hmmm.....haha

I'd look at the EI too, replaces all primary instruments, fuel gauges, EGT/CHT, and also ties to GPS for fuel at ETA.

Having seen one in operation on @TangoWhiskey 's airplane, I'm in lust.

He is one to reach out too if you want more information about costs, usage, and how much he likes it.

I'd look at the EI too, replaces all primary instruments, fuel gauges, EGT/CHT, and also ties to GPS for fuel at ETA.
The EI CGR-30P fits this description. And for an aircraft like the Cherokees, would fit nicely where the Tach is now, and not "crowd" the other instruments/avionics.

Whichever brand/model you get, make sure it has the engine data recording function. This functionality, paired with an data analysis site such as SaavyAnalysis.com can go a good ways to saving money on maintenance and other engine related tasks.

I have the 830 with full compliment of sensors, the installation cost more than the unit.

The EI unit is nearly twice as expensive as the EDM 830. And doesn't do %hp. I see its more direct competition is the EDM 930 since that is certified, and it is certainly cheaper than that.

Considering buying the thing now and just waiting for 10 years before I have the cash built up to be able to afford the 3000-4000 install. Lol

Get with Troy (@TangoWhiskey) and find out what he got, when he did the install, costs, and such.... Might help formulate a better idea of what you're looking at

Something like 25 hrs, and this was an upgrade from 700, so basic EGT and CHT probes already installed. The sensors were extra (~$250 each)...this probably true for any unit.

Had your AP ever installed one before?

You install it under the supervision of your A&P. Really cuts down the cost of install. Since I already have the FS-450 I was thinking of getting the 700. I believe at that point I can take out the 450 head and the 700 will use the same transducer.

But yeah I looked at the EI today when I saw it mentioned. Loved it until I saw the price. It is pretty though.

You install it under the supervision of your A&P. Really cuts down the cost of install. Since I already have the FS-450 I was thinking of getting the 700. I believe at that point I can take out the 450 head and the 700 will use the same transducer.

But yeah I looked at the EI today when I saw it mentioned. Loved it until I saw the price. It is pretty though.

I'm mechanically inclined enough to change the oil in my car and swap the plugs. All because I have a big red book that tells me how. Not sure I'd trust myself to do anything on my plane quite yet.

I have the 830 with full compliment of sensors, the installation cost more than the unit.

You ain't kidding.....you look at the equipment price and it looks doable. You get he fully installed quote and you like OMFG are you kidding me?

That said, the 830 is a great unit. I don't have much time on mine at all, but I can now have it all in one neat package.

Back