EDM 700

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
I'm trying to learn the EDM 700, and I can certainly say that it's the most non-user-friendly peace of avionics I've ever used. It has a million functions and only two buttons. I can use it if I'm sitting there with the manual, but that's not very convenient. Knowing how many other people use it, it can not be (or at least should not be) as hard to use as it is for me. So maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

Can you guys explain me the logic behind it's buttonology?

The specific functions that I'm interested in are reseting fuel, viewing fuel remaining, viewing EGT/CHT, and lean assist.

Thanks

Have you tried the video tutorial available here?
The only time I touch the buttons is after I fill the fuel tanks to let it know I am not out.

The biggest issue is to properly set it up to begin with.
It should just be set to scroll through all the variables. Scan it periodically for a few seconds. If any of the values get into the red zone (as programmed into the edm) it will stay on that value and flash a warning. The other day I scanned the panel and the EDM was flashing "BAT 12". The alternator wasn't charging the battery so I returned to base. The alternator is being swapped out at home now by my A&P rather than me being stuck in timbucktu looking for a recommendation for an honest A&P away from home.

I also use it when I want to keep an eye on CHT or EGT for leaning. But you normally don't have to fool with the buttons unless you are just curious.

But I agree, the buttons are not intuitively obvious.

I agree, a watch only has two buttons because it's on your wrist. My complaint is that the much upgraded 830 is still only two buttons, presumeably because it shares the same STC as the 700/800.

The only time I touch the buttons is after I fill the fuel tanks to let it know I am not out.

The biggest issue is to properly set it up to begin with.
It should just be set to scroll through all the variables. Scan it periodically for a few seconds. If any of the values get into the red zone (as programmed into the edm) it will stay on that value and flash a warning. The other day I scanned the panel and the EDM was flashing "BAT 12". The alternator wasn't charging the battery so I returned to base. The alternator is being swapped out at home now by my A&P rather than me being stuck in timbucktu looking for a recommendation for an honest A&P away from home.

I also use it when I want to keep an eye on CHT or EGT for leaning. But you normally don't have to fool with the buttons unless you are just curious.

But I agree, the buttons are not intuitively obvious.

Based on my very limited experience with the unit so far, I agree. Can you tell me which buttons you press in the beginning to set everything up?

Back