EDM-700 w/ FF to EDM-900

wheaties

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wheaties
My bird has an EDM-700 w/ fuel flow and oil temp. I get that going from 2ndry to primary means a complete reinstall of all current sensors plus RPM and MP probes. What other probes need to be added as "standard" and which ones are optional? Spoken to a few places and two are trying to get me to consider a GI-275 or CGI-30 stating the options for the 900 really start to add up.

Actually you can keep some of the old probes (check part numbers are the same). I believe the EGT and CHT probes are the same, at least they were between 830 and 900.

I don't know that any sensors will need to change, at least not much. Depending on the cost, I am a real fan of the CGR-30, but you may be a little bit of install time ahead if the wiring to the 700 is similar to the 900. Beyond that, the CGR an GI275 may use different sensors than the JPI. However, EI has had some options in the past to wire an adapter harness for your existing engine monitor, reducing the cost and removing any difference in install time. One thing I greatly appreciate with the CGR's is that they fit in a 3" round hole, but don't stick out the side (and often over the edge of another instrument), and the engine data computer is remote. The JPI's have as many as 5 or 6 crowded connectors that plug right into the unit, making it much more complicated to install and remove versus a simple single plug with few wires in it. The JPI installs from the panel side, but you need to tighten it in place from the back. The EI installs from the back, and just screws in like all of your other instruments. Just my experience, YMMV.

@Jesse Saint , so what you're saying is they are guiding me to something easier to install and therefore cheaper.

Another shop said if I'm adding a g500 txi to also just go the Garmin route. Oi!

My pilot-avionics guy walked me through the engine monitor options. He’s installed all brands for customers and in the various airplanes he’s owned. When panel front and rear space is at a premium, he installs the round gauge monitors, but when able for the planes he flies, he likes the larger formats so there’s no button pushing during flight - everything is shown on one page from startup to shutdown. Something to think about as you upgrade. I just dropped a few thou on a new monitor, waiting for delivery, will be a fresh install (owner assist).

Back