Ecommerce Site Suggestions

EppyGA

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Let's Fly
I'm thinking about setting up an eCommerce site and am looking for suggestions, experiences, etc. from the PoA techies. I do have some sites hosted at GoDaddy but am open to doing something somewhere else. Thanks!

Godaddy has a number of commerce applications that your control panel can install for you.

I've had some success with a few of the products they offer. Depends on what you are selling.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

I haven't done any e-commerce stuff with it, but I've been happy with HostGator hosting so far. They do have a lot of e-commerce tools available in the control panel, but I haven't used any of them.

I had a godaddy e-commerce site, I was very happy with it.

If you're going to set up a website to try to sell something for "real" money, then

1) Avoid GoDaddy hosting like the plague. I'm not an unreasoning GoDaddy hater (I use them for domain names), but their hosting is horrifically oversubscribed.
2) Magento: It is, without a doubt, the worst ecommerce software ever developed, except for all the others (sorry Churchill). I therefore recommend it strongly.
3) Go to Slicehost, Amazon Web Services, Rackspace Cloud Servers or similar for you hosting.
3a) You absolutely, positively must install APC if you're going to use Magento. Otherwise a world of pain will result.
4) Don't listen to the opinion of random crazy people on the internet.

~ Christopher

3) Go to Slicehost, Amazon Web Services, Rackspace Cloud Servers or similar for you hosting.
3a) You absolutely, positively must install APC if you're going to use Magento. Otherwise a world of pain will result.
4) Don't listen to the opinion of random crazy people on the internet.

~ Christopher

My only comment about 3 is that these setups can get quite expensive. Easier to try out a business on a cheaper and fairly reliable host before moving forward.

I've use rackspace, host gator and others and many of my larger sites still run for over 800$ a month for the required performance and concurrent users.

Most of those sites started at godaddy until we hit performance limits. The businesses that didn't make it, died at godaddy with no major investment in infrastructure or longer term contracts.

Unless it's what you do, I wouldn't set up your own server and software with anybody. Too many opportunities to get hacked.

Consider doing something like http://www.shopify.com/ . All they do is hosted ecommerce sites. Let them worry about the software and you worry about sourcing and selling your merchandise.

Unless it's what you do, I wouldn't set up your own server and software with anybody. Too many opportunities to get hacked.

Triple bonus +1000000000 on that.

We all have plenty of businesses out there already putting credit card data at not just risk, but by their negligent actions, handing them over by the hundreds of thousands to criminals.

The FBI notified our network security staff recently that unless a fraud claim is over $50K, they probably don't even care to have it reported.

It'd have to top $250K to even make it to a file on an agent's desk. And it'd be low-priority even then.

Back