ECI again......

flyingriki

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
flyingriki
This should fire up that whiney guy that thinks ECi is out to destroy the world!:rofl:
AD: Engine Componants Inc. (Lycoming)

Sun, 03 Jan '10
AD NUMBER: 2009-26-12

MANUFACTURER: Engine Components, Inc. (ECi) Reciprocating Engine Cylinder Assemblies
SUBJECT: Airworthiness Directive 2009-26-12

Does not surprise me in the least. The last AD that came out about the separations did not cover all the problem units as there were still reports coming in of catastrophic failures. A person at my field had one of those not covered under the original AD come apart while in IMC, he managed to shoot an ILS to a nearby airport and get it on the ground without any bending of metal.

There are also reports like this one, http://www.csobeech.com/ECi-Head-Separation.html

ECi-Head-Separation.jpg

We had the dreaded "uh-oh" Sunday after we departed from Ardmore, OK, and headed down to the north Dallas area. At 4,500, and at relatively moderate power, our engine cratered. We later found the number 5 cylinder head blew off, disconnected. There was a "bang", the engine immediately ran rough, and the JPI confirmed power loss in the cylinder. Of course, while in the air, we had no idea what had happened, but I sort of reckoned it was a cylinder coming apart. We have ECi cylinders.

I wonder if these cylinders would now fall under the expanded AD.

But I am still waiting to hear why this always seems to affect ECI? They had a casting problem, a separation issue, and now an even larger issue with the separation problem. I have been flying with a much better peace of mind since pulling all the ECI jugs off of my plane and going with Lycomings.

Back in 2004 ECI started having qulaity issues with its cylinders. Back then in Aviation Consumer ECI had this to say:
Not quite, but ECI tells us it’s in the final stages of addressing serious quality issues that affected a small batch of cylinders
http://www.aviationconsumer.com/issues/34_3/maintenancematters/5321-1.html

It is now 2010 and they are still having problems and the "small batch" keeps expanding. It would sure seem like they do not have a handle on their manufacturing issues at all. I would stay far away from them. Given that their costs are comparable to Lycoming I see no reason to go with them ever again.

Over on the Cessna Owner Group one poster had this to say"
Like so many others, I bought brand-spanking new Titan cylinders (type “A” it turns out) for my Lycoming O-360 at major overhaul time in December of 2005. Despite the recent FAA AD 2008-19-05 edict to the contrary, Engine Components Incorporated (ECI) insists that their type A cylinders are okay and so they don’t have to replace them at no cost to us. We only, we are told, have to have them inspected and compression checked every 50 hours. But even that is really not the basic issue here.

The reality is that I (and you) have spent big bucks to put an estimated 13,000 (yup,13,000) new cylinders (type A and type B) on our engines. And now with the AD and ECI’s response to it, the market place will look at our choice of ECI Titan cylinders and determine that all those engines are tainted.

ECI’s assertions to contrary, the Titan type A cylinders are NOT okay. Why? Because the FAA says they’re not. And to add more injury to injury, if you have to remove a type “A” cylinder to ream a seat or something, you cannot legally reinstall it. So with a warranty decision by ECI not to stand behind their product 100%, my plane is now worth considerably less, and my peace of mind is in the dumpster. ECI just cost me thousands of dollars and seemingly couldn’t care less.

When I called warranty Manager Jim Passmore, ECI’s exact response? Gee, we know the type “A” cylinders are okay, it’s just that we lost our battle with the FAA. No, guys, wake up. What really happened is that because of your failure to stand behind your product, you just destroyed your customer base’s faith in ECI. I can just see myself trying to explain to a potential buyer sometime that despite what the FAA says, ECI says the Titan type A cylinders on my engine are okay.
http://forums.cessnaowner.org/read/6/20617
He is spot on with his assessment. This new ad is yet another black eye for a company that has too many black eyes already.

Last edited:
Strange,,,, they have never had a problem with their 50CI cylinders for the Continental O & C- series.

OBTW, did you guys know it requires an STC to use a ECI cylinder with an exhaust valve rotators on your engine.

So, when you put them on you need a 337 to install the STC, and when you pull them off you need the 337 to remove the STC.

Yes even when they are authorized replacement parts. it is a major modification to the engine.

Strange,,,, they have never had a problem with their 50CI cylinders for the Continental O & C- series.
I am not sure why they have been having consistent issues with cylinders for these engines. But Aviation Consumer did have this to say about the entire cylinder market.

The entire cylinder market has been racked by ADs, bulletins and recalls. Lycoming’s factory jugs have been standout performers

Continental and ECI have both suffered significant quality issues affecting thousands of cylinders

http://www.aviationconsumer.com/issues/39_11/industrynews/5952-1.html

So...

Where are the serial numbers located on ECi jugs? Might as well verify that mine are or aren't ECi's.

Sigh.

Just spent one kilo bucks on a GM product that should never have failed, and now am looking at this, if I have these jugs.

Double sigh.

So...

Where are the serial numbers located on ECi jugs? Might as well verify that mine are or aren't ECi's.

Sigh.

Just spent one kilo bucks on a GM product that should never have failed, and now am looking at this, if I have these jugs.

Double sigh.
This will help you find them

LINK

Does it say in your logbook what cylinders were used on your rebuild?

I also can feel your pain. I had to replace all my ECI cylinders and then just a short time later the replacement ECI cylinder fell under another AD and I had to replace them all again. Hopefully you will be unaffected.

Yup - I was right.........:sleep: !!

I will only use Lycoming cylinders....
I will only use Lycoming cylinders...

What year were these ECI units built? I can't find the S/N in the logs. Says "see tags" in the log, but I can't find said tags in the rest of the paperwork I have.

I will only use Lycoming cylinders....

:D...

Back