Early morning flights,.. Fantastic!

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
So, since I didn't get a chance to fly on my day off this week, I managed to get myself out of bed early this morning and to the airport at 5:45am. Plane preflighted and started by a few minutes after 6, and the sun was cresting over the terminal building. Most of the area was 8000+ for clouds, temperature was 14*C, wind Calm. So time to see how close the plane responded to the standard temperature and performance charts from the POH. After all, it is 42 years old and 1600 hrs on the engine...

Runup complete, and I took Runway 24 at Wings Field. Rotated at 60mph, climbed at 80 mph for 550 fpm. Not bad, max climb rate at gross per the POH is 645 fpm (I'm full tanks but only me in the cabin, so not near gross yet) Now, I wasn't climbing at best angle, so we'll check on the next time around. Flew to the PTW VOR, enjoying the sights of the low fog over some fields here and there, and watching the world wake up and take to the roads. Turned eastbound to the PA turnpike at Lansdale, my exit I typically get on in the morning, and then North about half way to Quakertown before doing a standard rate turn 180* to head back towards Wings. Sun was up now, and long shadows were strewn across the landscape. The sun on the Power Plant steam as it rose 3-4000 feet from the ground was great, and although the city of Philadelphia was a little hazy in the distance, it was slowly improving as the temp/DP spread increased.

Back at Wings, entered the pattern and flew the 95mph downwind, 85mph base, 75mph final, crossing the numbers by about 50 feet before a smooth as glass touchdown on centerline with the stall horn blaring to scare the little birds away :D. Taxied back, and wanted to push the climb rate, so I held on the brakes, full throttle, and down the runway.... rotated at 60, climbed at 70 (66 is best angle speed) and was hitting 650 - 700 fpm till I turned crosswind at 1300 feet. Not bad for the 0-300 D (145 hp)!!

Smooth landing again,... parked the plane, and then joined everyone else in line on the Schulkill expressway to get to work. :rolleyes:

Gotta love those early morning flights! The plane is handling great and running so smooth.

I love taking off in the morning with the sun. Sounds like a great flight!

Those 172s do climb pretty nicely. I was flying the club 172 the other day. Even on a pretty warm day with just me in the plane, I was seeing better than 1000 fpm climb out at 80 kts (not anywhere close to Vy). Ours has the 180 hp upgrade, which helps.

Pretty cool Rob. Glad you got to fly. We'll have to do a Philly area POA flight to somewhere.

Gotta love those early morning flights! The plane is handling great and running so smooth.

Early morning and late afternoons are great times to be in the air! You're a better man than me for getting up that early. Was a beautiful morning! This has been quite a nice stretch of weather. Yes, the O-300 is a nice smooth running engine. You've really taken to this flying stuff!!

Gary

The best flights I have ever had is taking off an hour before sunrise going cross country and watching the sunrise. There are no words to describe the incredible view.

I have always wanted to take off before sunrise, go to 12K MSL and wait for the sun to break the horizon, then land and watch the sunrise again. Two sunrises in one day, now how many people have done that?

Last edited:
Thanks, Rob -- makes me anxious to get to the airport early tomorrow!

I'm with Dick Collins on this -- if you want a smooth flight (especially when carrying nervous passengers), schedule the flight to depart early.

Sounds like it was a nice flight Rob. Beth had me up and in my joggin' britches this morning before I was awake enough to simulate a broken leg so I had to run instead of fly. I did hear an aircraft in the distance around 6:30 when we were headed back home. The temp was perfect this morning.

Not always. Learned at 4th picnic that a neighbor's kid now 15.5 yrs old has intense interest in learning to fly. Airplane issues that have limited ride-giving are finally resolved, so I offered to take the kid and his dad (whose combined weight is about 260) for an early morning run to the lake strip.

There was only one cloud in the entire central US yesterday, the tiny tip of which was directly over our area. It was bumpier than I would have liked. Not bad, but not the silky-smooth morning I had envisioned. We were able to complete the trip, the kid had a great time (although admitted to a little queasiness due to the bumps) and he's looking forward to some of the weekend fly-outs.

Rob was taking care of his own traffic watch! :smile:

Sounds like a fun time to get in the air, besides, it has to make the day go better!

Sounds like it was a nice flight Rob. Beth had me up and in my joggin' britches this morning before I was awake enough to simulate a broken leg so I had to run instead of fly. I did hear an aircraft in the distance around 6:30 when we were headed back home. The temp was perfect this morning.

That could have been me. I flew with 422 just below out the left window and Ridge Pike out the right as I tracked to PTW at 2500 feet. I'll download my track from my GPS this morning and post it to see how close I was. I was the first one out of Wings this morning after a PennStar flight departed when I arrived. I returned just a few minutes after the flight school opened at 7, and people were starting to arrive for lessons/flying.

GOOGLE FLIGHT TRACK

Click on the link above to see my GPS flight track. Pretty clean and straight lines if I must say myself. Pattern work seems pretty good for downwind - base - final.

My co-worker saw me fly over his house in Trooper as he was leaving for work! :D

I flew from OXB to FDK this morning and it was a nice flight as well. Love the nice and smooth flights.

Back