Early Bonanzas, whats up with the price?

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
You all know that I have been searching every avenue that sells airplanes looking for a Cherokee 180. During my search I have noticed several early Beechcraft Bonanzas in the 35K-45K range. Most of these sound good, but the price makes me wonder why they are so cheap. Are these money pits or what? :dunno:

Dean said:
You all know that I have been searching every avenue that sells airplanes looking for a Cherokee 180. During my search I have noticed several early Beechcraft Bonanzas in the 35K-45K range. Most of these sound good, but the price makes me wonder why they are so cheap. Are these money pits or what? :dunno:

hey dean!

there are a couple of reasons:

1) the originals had the continental e-225 engine which ranged from 185 to 225 hp. this was the precusor to the O-470. ok engine, but no is longer supported by the factory. it is also a spline shaft engine which means your choices of propellers is limited. some of the original propellers were electrically actuated with wooden blades!

2) airframe is much lighter than present day bonanzas. this is actually a plus in my book as the control feel is lighter and less ponderous. but coupled with the lower hp, they may not have the same load hauling capablility and performance.

3) the panel layouts are going to be "vintage". it was not until the mid '60s or early 70's that the "T" panel layout we have come to know and love became standard. can make ifr ops a bit challenging.

4) some folks are just spooked by older airplanes. i feel that if the airplane has been properly maintained and flown regularly, it would be preferrable to a younger machine that has just sat around, under utilized.

those are my thoughts based on 20 years of vintage a/c ownership. if you are considering a vintage bonanza, definitely check out larry ball's book on bonanzas and find someone knowlegable in bonanzas to help guide your search.

blue skies,

trombair said:
1) the originals had the continental e-225 engine which ranged from 185 to 225 hp. this was the precusor to the O-470. ok engine, but no is longer supported by the factory. it is also a spline shaft engine which means your choices of propellers is limited. some of the original propellers were electrically actuated with wooden blades!

In fact, in about 2 hrs I am going with a pal's older banana to bring him back from dropping off at the prop shop.... they have a 250hr AD which requires a $$ repetitive tear down & inspection. A couple of those and you can buy a new prop... except there aren't any that will retrofit.
UnLESS you upgrade to a completely different engine (not a bad idea as the E185/225 is slow),...... then all you have to deal with is short legs. I think it is going to be 40K to upgrade.

4) some folks are just spooked by older airplanes.

So are some of the insurance companies... I hear some are refusing to insure so that leaves fewer in the market which means higher prices.

Some also have an AD on the tail that must be c/w pretty soon; you have to hire one of these roving inspectors with a portable ultrasound machine to measure the metal thickness or something.

Maintenance costs of an old Bonanza can make it a money pit. Just becasue you buy it for a Cherokee price doesn't mean you can maintain it on a Cherokee budget. Cost will easily be 2-3 times that of a Cherokee class airplane and there are far more Maintenance disaster possibilites. It can cost $2,000 to overhaul the carburetor. Half that just for the fuel pump. Firewall forward done properly starts at $25,000. Wonderful to fly. I've flown 121 different BE 33,35,36, & 45 aircraft. Flew some with the "wooden" props and a nosewheel that was not steerable.

Dean said:

Despite what some say, you can operate an older Bonanza at a reasonable (for a high powered retract) cost. It won't be as cheap as a Cherokee for sure, but one that's already been well maintained won't necessarily be a money pit. OTOH as Charlie points out there are a few potential wallet draining issues. The carb (actually it would be called a "throttle body injection" system on a car engine) has a bunch of rubber diaphrams that lose flexability and strength over time. Fortunately the materials used in these units today are capable of lasting for 25 years or more so if the carb was properly overhauled in the last 10 years or so it shouldn't need much attention. The wing tanks have bladders which require replacing eventually for something like $2-3k per side. The ruddervators and some other control surfaces are magnesium (real early ones used fabric) which easily corrodes and require special attention when painting. The landing gearbox is quite robust, but can require overhaul if neglected. I think Beech recommends this every 5000 hrs but few owners comply.

As to the prop issue, the original Beech electric prop is a good one but parts are scarce and the pitch change gears must be lubed every 250 hours or else. Hartzel made a hydraulic prop that was retrofitted to about half the fleet and it worked fine until an AD came out a few years back that generally made it uneconomical to continue using. As a result many E powered Bo's have had a new prop installed and AFaIK these are trouble and A/D free.

Fuel capacity in most of the early models is insufficient for IFR use, especially if the engine is a 225 HP model. Tip tanks and baggage compartment tanks solve that problem but the tip tank method allows a gross weight increase as well as eliminating the aft loading problem that comes with baggage tanks.

IIRC the straight 35 and A35-B35 (1947-1951) models are currently under an AD speed restriction. These earliest models had smaller control surfaces, a different (truss type) spar carry-through, and smaller engines than the next generation C35-F35 (1952-1955) models and are probably less desireable than them unless you are an antique buff.

I owned an E35 (1954) for many years and found it to be a very reliable and not terribly expensive airplane. Mine had an E-225 engine and a Hartzel prop. I normally flight planned for 145 KTAS and 11 GPH. Between 5000 and 7000 MSL I could get a TAS of 160 Kt at 14-14.5 GPH if I was in a big hurry. With BDS tip tanks I could carry full fuel (66 gallons) and almost 800 lbs in the cabin. Once I removed the rear baggage tank and a useless ITT autopilot from the tailcone I never had any aft CG issues either. Except for one year when I had a cracked cylinder I think my annual maintenance budget was around $1500 (this was in the 1985-1995 timeframe). The E series engines can be certified to run on autogas if you want as well.

Basically I think that an early model Bonanza can be a very nice plane if you can find one in good condition. I would expect to pay between $45k and $60k for a 1954 one like I had depending on equipment and cosmetics. Add or subtract $2-3k per year for older or newer models.

Back