Ear problem, again.

U

Unregistered

A thread back in March referred to ear problems and I thought it a bit late to respond to that thread now. I do hope for some more specifics about certain conditions mentioned in that thread that apply to me. I am thinking about seeking a pilot cert - 3rd class - and a few weeks ago I had a Myringotomy done to relieve fluid buildup behind both ear drums which had reduced hearing ability and now still have the tubes in place. They remain in place for 2 months to a year when, I'm told by the ENT, they will fall out on their own - whenever - and the ear drums then heal over. If I go to an AME for an FAA med/student ticket now and all checks are okay other than the existing tubes in my ear drums will that condition be acceptable as is? I was surprised to learn in that last thread that "pilots and stewardesses often have tubes installed in their ear drums", to overcome clearing problems, I believe. Does that mean their tube installation is permanent? That would seem to clear up any ear clearing problems, I'd think. Also, aside from the flying aspect, wouldn't having permanent tubes add to inner ear infection risk, and also prevent any thought of scuba diving? P.S.- my hearing is okay now since the procedure but experience some distortion which I would attribute to those tubes still in place.

Unregistered said:
A thread back in March referred to ear problems and I thought it a bit late to respond to that thread now. I do hope for some more specifics about certain conditions mentioned in that thread that apply to me. I am thinking about seeking a pilot cert - 3rd class - and a few weeks ago I had a Myringotomy done to relieve fluid buildup behind both ear drums which had reduced hearing ability and now still have the tubes in place. They remain in place for 2 months to a year when, I'm told by the ENT, they will fall out on their own - whenever - and the ear drums then heal over. If I go to an AME for an FAA med/student ticket now and all checks are okay other than the existing tubes in my ear drums will that condition be acceptable as is?
YES.

wouldn't having permanent tubes add to inner ear infection risk, and also prevent any thought of scuba diving? P.S.- my hearing is okay now since the procedure but experience some distortion which I would attribute to those tubes still in place.

The risk is certainly there and your ENT likely admonished you not to immerse (but most people forget, esp. children with these tubes). After they fall out and the eardrums close, diving is not an infection problem any longer.

I know of at least two pilots in 121 service doing their duties with the tubes still in place...it's OK so long as you can pass the 6 foot voice test. You will have passed it by the time you get into the exam room.

Dr. Bruce, thanks for your reply. I was concerned since my ENT alluded to the possibility the fluid buildup I developed may return. This, of course, would require another Myringotomy a which time I might then come to the conclusion I had become susceptible to a recurring condition. I would then have to consider the permanent tube solution as you mentioned others have resorted to. Is this conclusion of mine logical? Also, I suppose altitude and it's effect on the ears, for "clearing", would no longer be an issue what with the opening to the middle ear? Thank you.

Unregistered said:
Dr. Bruce, thanks for your reply. I was concerned since my ENT alluded to the possibility the fluid buildup I developed may return. This, of course, would require another Myringotomy a which time I might then come to the conclusion I had become susceptible to a recurring condition. I would then have to consider the permanent tube solution as you mentioned others have resorted to. Is this conclusion of mine logical? Also, I suppose altitude and it's effect on the ears, for "clearing", would no longer be an issue what with the opening to the middle ear? Thank you.

Right on both counts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back