eAPIS Ted? Mari?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
If you enter all the info for a manifest and don't click Submit, will the site save the info?

I have only 99% of the info entered for the trip, so don't want to submit....but would hate to have to enter it all again.
I see no option to 'Save this Manifest for later', only Cancel, Back, Submit.
Or, if you submit 2 weeks in advance, will it be available later for alterations?

If you enter all the info for a manifest and don't click Submit, will the site save the info?

I have only 99% of the info entered for the trip, so don't want to submit....but would hate to have to enter it all again.
I see no option to 'Save this Manifest for later', only Cancel, Back, Submit.
Or, if you submit 2 weeks in advance, will it be available later for alterations?
It's been a year, but back then we weren't able to change them. See http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=517040&postcount=23.

Note that I heard recently that you no longer need to make the separate call to CBP prior to arrival.

Last edited:
I dug through their help and when you click next, or the page times out, it autosaves it. Thanks Grant.

Now...trying to figure out how to make a second one. It lists the first one but the option Make a New Manifest is greyed out on each page. Help talks about multiples, but....
Sheesh the government and its bureacracy is wearing me down. And talk about an inconvenient info entry page! Its like the people designing these do not regularily participate on the internet.

eAPIS recently went through a number of changes to make it more user friendly. Last time I went through if I stopped on a manifest halfway it would save the information I had and then let me edit it later for submission.

Once you hit "submit", though, I'm not sure if you can change it within eAPIS. As such, I never submit until right before the flight to make sure it's accurate. Even then I once made a typo and then had to go through the process of getting it altered (prior to the changes they made a few months back). Would the US government have noticed if I hadn't made the change? Probably not. But it took me about an hour and a half to make the alterations because I wanted to do it properly. Easier to get it right the first time.

As far as I know, you DO have to call CBP as well as submit your eAPIS prior to taking off. I think it's pretty dumb that you have to do both, but near as I can tell it's still a requirement. Also keep in mind that a lot of places require you to call M-F 9-5 to arrange for a crossing that's going to be outside of those hours. This caused me a problem when I was trying to fly home on a Sunday and hadn't called on Friday. Plan ahead.

Which country are you going to, Dave?

Our eApis is done by our company so I don't know the procedure. I do know that you need to make a phone call before leaving, and when going to Canada the call to CANPASS needs to be made by the PIC.

Yes Ted, if you Submit there is no retracting it - Help says you have to start all over AND call to tell them the first one is no good.
I plan to call them when I leave, hopefully I can get a signal an hour out and tell them again, and once more when in the pattern as it is ~3hrs and without winds aloft I won't be able to pin down the arrival to minutes, plus its 20min drive for them to the airport.
Anyone think you need to call anybody crossing out of the US?

Mx.

Yes Ted, if you Submit there is no retracting it - Help says you have to start all over AND call to tell them the first one is no good.
I plan to call them when I leave, hopefully I can get a signal an hour out and tell them again, and once more when in the pattern as it is ~3hrs and without winds aloft I won't be able to pin down the arrival to minutes, plus its 20min drive for them to the airport.
Anyone think you need to call anybody crossing out of the US?

Mx.

It depends on the change(s) that needs to be made. We received guidance from our DHS contact that if passenger(s) were removed from the flight then a separate eAPIS submission is not needed, only a notification/update with the appropriate US CBP location. You also can't cancel a manifest, it just expires after a certain period of time.

Make sure you call US CBP to arrange inbound customs at your destination so they can plan to have an officer at the airport. The call is still required. Not calling and arranging before hand is a big no no. We file part 135 inbound and outbound all the time so we call before each leg (4 or 5 hours out up to 2 or 3 days) but many part 91 operators forget to call and get slapped with a big fine. Under part 135, we're required to submit general declarations and landing rights request (if required) so I normally confirm receipt of this paperwork as well as the eAPIS transmission over the phone with CBP when arranging for customs for an aircraft. Kill two birds with one stone.

I wouldn't worry about calling them crossing the border, but if you want to update them and don't receive any service, try calling the FBO via ARINC freq and see if they can call CBP for you to advise them of your updated ETA. Most operators will be happy to if you supply them with the phone number for CBP.

Acukwik has pretty accurate information with regard to customs location hours of operation and notification requirements.

Last edited:
eAPIS needs to filed outbound, but you don't need to call anyone outbound.

Typically, it's not too hard to find an internet connection, even internationally, so getting your eAPIS filed shortly before departure typically isn't all that hard. As far as calls are concerned, I made my best guess oin time, added 20 minutes to it, and that usually has me there spot on (it always takes longer than you think). However I've never called en-route. Once I was even off by about 45 minutes, and the guy didn't care at all. He was getting paid overtime to sit around for me to show up. :)

Going to Mexico, you don't have to call them. Just file your flight plan and take off. Seemed weird to me being used to Canada and the US, but that's how it is.

I don't know if you'll have a handler or not (or where you're going), but in Cozumel, after landing you need to close your flight plan as well as go through customs. First customs (don't be alarmed by the guys with large guns who walk up to greet you), then closing your flight plan involves stamps from 4 different offices. Make sure to have your aircraft registration, airworthiness, and proof of Mexican insurance when you go through. The Comandancia (police) will want to see it. The guy about tore the original airworthiness cert for the Aztec, so if you're flying an older plane, be aware. After you pay the taxes for entry with your plane, make sure they give you the paperwork that allows the plane to be brought in anytime the rest of the year without paying that penalty.

Also, there is no immigration or emmigration tax for crew. When Laurie and I go we're both required crew on the Aztec/310.

Have fun! I really enjoy flying to Mexico.

Here is how we handle eapis. We are a Part 91 flight department that utilizes two jets and a twin cessna.

Normally we have a company that does our flight planning, weather, customs and airspace permits for us. I also have my own account set up for eapis in case it is necessary for me to file myself.

We do not depart for our leg out of the country until we have received the email with the eapis approval and have been able to print out the approval email. We keep it just in the case that there would be a problem discovered with our outbound upon trying to renter the US.

Departing the final airport out of the country on our way inbound. we make sure that we have the most current eapis approval printed out, a general declaration form filled out and have the personal declaration cards available. Before departure from that airport we contact the customs office that will be handling our arrival to let them know our ETA. Then when we are 100 miles out we try getting in contact with the FBO. Once we get them we have them contact Customs to give them an updated ETA. It helps to call the FBO on the phone prior and make sure that the have the correct Customs contact information.

We contact the customs office where we intend to clear before we leave the US just to make a courtesy call and let them know what date we are planning on returning through their facility. That way we verify that we will be there during normal business hours for them. It also gives you a chance to find out if they want anything extra from you. We also contact the customs office at our alternate to make sure all the same information and services will be available as at the primary destination. We let them know that if we have to miss for any reason that we will be coming to them for service.

I know that the system is supposed to be uniform throughout all the customs offices. However, some still like a filled out form 178. Plus if you are letting them know that you are coming in well in advance, they start to build a comfort level with you that seems to carry through the screening process. This really helps if you plan on using them to clear at that specific location on a regular basis. We have a few that we use on a regular basis and the clearing process is rather smooth.

We also have a situation where passengers can easily get added or dropped from you manifest during these trips. If that happens we just file a new eapis and begin the process anew. Just make sure that you keep copies of everything and make phone calls to verify that everything is in place and ready for you.

Remember to be polite and don't complain like a jerk when everything has to be unloaded and inspected. I have cleared before in a non airline 737 loaded with people and cleared in 15 minutes and seen a 172 take an hour because of how the pilots approached the customs officials.

Laurie must be a pilot, Ted?
Crew can't be entered on eAPIS anymore without both passport and pilot #. (I tried)

Laurie must be a pilot, Ted?
Crew can't be entered on eAPIS anymore without both passport and pilot #. (I tried)

I would hope she's a pilot seeing as she signed me off for my MEI... ;)

I didn't claim her as crew on eAPIS, though, only when filling out forms in Mexico to avoid paying the fees there. On the American side it doesn't matter.

I know that the system is supposed to be uniform throughout all the customs offices. However, some still like a filled out form 178.

Most CBP locations no longer require form 178s because eAPIS is essentially an electronic version of Form 178. I say most and not all because as you pointed out, as uniform as we think CBP is, some officers still like it the old fashioned way. I consider a printed eAPIS transmission to be a Form 178 equivalent for most purposes.

This used to be more of an issue when eAPIS wasn't required for part 91 since we filed eAPIS under 135 but any 91 leg would only receive a Form 178. No longer the case -- everything goes through eAPIS now, inbound and outbound, part 91 and 135.

We were asked for a filled out 178 in the Carolina's a couple of times after the eapis was in effect. For the most part we use the same airports to clear at on a regular basis. None of them require the 178 or even want to see one anymore.

My comment about not needing to call prior to re-entry was based on a recollection this 7/25/10 article on AvWeb filed by Mary Grady:
The latest administrator of the Transportation Security Administration, John Pistole, visited EAA AirVenture on Monday along with Janet Napolitano, secretary of the Department of Homeland Security. They said the nationwide "If You See Something, Say Something" DHS campaign will be expanded to general aviation, and the process for crossing the border in a GA aircraft will be simplified. Starting Sept. 1, pilots will be able to file a single manifest to meet both the TSA requirements and those of Customs and Border Protection. Officials from both AOPA and NBAA were quoted in a DHS news release as encouraged by the changes.

"This decision demonstrates [TSA and CBP] commitment to improving the efficiency of the system for all users," said AOPA President Craig Fuller. NBAA President Ed Bolen added: "We thank the TSA and DHS for working with industry on these measures, which will be fully effective and workable as a result of our collaboration."
Note that first of all it does not say you do not have to call! It says that a single filing suffices. Of course, I don't recall having to make a filing other than eAPIS prior to coming back into the country! Plus, this is not from an official source! So you certainly can't rely on it if they start questioning you!

My comment about not needing to call prior to re-entry was based on a recollection this 7/25/10 article on AvWeb filed by Mary Grady:
Note that first of all it does not say you do not have to call! It says that a single filing suffices. Of course, I don't recall having to make a filing other than eAPIS prior to coming back into the country! Plus, this is not from an official source! So you certainly can't rely on it if they start questioning you!

Try not calling before you come into the US. Some offices may let you by without a word. Some others not so much. you might just be inviting a body cavity search. And that would just be the foreplay. Remember they are cops. If they can't get on what they want to get you on. They can always find something that you might be in violation of. I would err on the side of caution.

Dave,
I loaded my pilot and aircraft information back when Eapis began. It is still stored in eapis. I understand passenger information can also be stored as they have changed the software a little. You should not click on Submit until you are ready to travel. The few times I have used the system I have submitted eapis for the both the outbound and inbound at the same time. You then have all the authorizations you need but you need to arrive in the US(at the hour you specified). Getting to the AOE at the scheduled hour can be a big problem. Calling CBP is amend you arrival time can also be a problem. It is the anxiety associated with making your arrival time that causes many pilots to give up on international travel. BTW a few pilots have found the CBP agents pull up to their airplane on the departure leg after they have loaded and are starting engines. The agents make them submit to a departure inspection. Best to keep travel times both ways flexible. The eapis system seems to work Ok for the scheduled traffic but is more difficult to apply to GA.

FFR, you can only make one manifest at a time.
I guess I will make the return mf the day before I return.

"Hello, Mr. Taylor,

The eAPIS Private Aircraft Online Tutorial is available at:
http://apps.cbp.gov/eAPIS-pa/.

You are only able to save one manifest at a time until it is submitted.
Once you have submitted a manifest, you may submit from a recently
submitted manifest. From the recently submitted manifests, you may also
save a manifest indefinitely. Please see the information below for a
more detailed description:........"

Back