Eair Pain / Pressure Relief

Maybe so, but I will miss his crazy ideas and unorthodox opinions. I hope the moderators reconsider at some point.
Me too. Henning had some strange ideas, and he did go off half cocked a few times, but not near as much as some others. And he has been contributing to POA for longer than most. He has gone out of his way to help others, including meeting up with me to help me figure out some problems with my 172. He had, and still has a lot to offer.

I hope the MC reconsiders. If not, then I think they need to ban a whole bunch of other people that have called other people vile names. And they can start with me if they like. Henning was no where near the worst, even if he was the strangest. But being strange is not against the TOCs.

The only reason Henning went off on Bryan is because of his honest concern for the little girl. What she went through was agonizing. That was not because Bryan was evil but because he made a mistake. He admitted it and fessed up to it, but the little girl still suffered somewhat needlessly.

Last edited:
Please keep the following in mind, from the rules of conduct:
RoC said:
Bans and warnings are not to be discussed on the forums. Any inquiries or comments or bans are to be sent in private messages or via email. A moderator may choose to publicly inform the participants of a forum about bans and warnings if this is in the interest of the forum.
The ban is not permanent, a temporary timeout. That's all that needs to be said.

Ditto to bring Henning back!

With that said, I went through the same pain when taking commercial flights for work. It seems to happen between 500 - 1000 feet and it only happened while landing. I fixed that issue by learning how to Scuba Dive and how to equalize properly. The pain happens suddenly, it doesn't happen gradually and it didn't happen on all flights. Once she learns how to equalize properly she can stop it right away. Chewing gum, yawning and shifting my jaw didn't help.

Equalizing is like holding your breath and your nose and gently blowing into your nose, with practice it will become second nature.

People spend too much time judging others without getting there OWN house in order....Just my two cents!

Please keep the following in mind, from the rules of conduct:

The ban is not permanent, a temporary timeout. That's all that needs to be said.
Jesse,
I really appreciate the work you do for POA. And I usually agree with you.

Usually.

The only reason Henning went off on Bryan is because of his honest concern for the little girl. What she went through was agonizing. That was not because Bryan was evil but because he made a mistake. He admitted it and fessed up to it, but the little girl still suffered somewhat needlessly.

Oh please! Henning was concerned? Bryan did absolutely nothing wrong. Every commercial flight every day has somebody suffering with their ears. He was quite clear he was only descending at no more than 500 fpm. That is as quickly as a pressurized cabin will descend too typically.

dayum!

That was poorly conceived and forwarded by the great ihamming.

I guess when he comes back he'll say it was O2 deprivation while he was flying infant's through IMC over Antarctica while texting ... :lol:

Last edited:
My daughter has narrow tubes and has occasionally had that trouble. Once I asked ATC for a slow, 200 fpm rate descent for passenger comfort, they asked if I needed to declare an emergency, I said no, as long as they didn't mind if I had a slow rate of descent, they didn't, no problem.

Another time was more exciting. I was IFR, descending down on an ILS approach, and she piped up and said "My ears hurt really bad". I told her what to do, she got quiet for a minute, and then she started screaming, and she doesn't do that. She has a high pain tolerance and had just never done that. I immediately told ATC I needed to go missed, and climbed back up, which eased the pressure. I held for a bit as she worked to clear them, and finally was able to come around and shoot another approach to get in. Thankfully as she's gotten older her ears have gotten better and we haven't had trouble in years!

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here. It was strange to read this post the day it was posted, as I was flying with a pilot and his 2 young kids and the same thing happened. I never had this experience before and was shocked when he did a go around and flew up to 3500. He explained when we got up there what and why he was doing this. As a father of 3 children I would have done what 6PC did if I didn't get that lesson. Being a good parent to me is asking for help from others that have encountered these problems before. He now knows a better way to handle this situation, if it wasn't for my flight the day this was posted I would have learned by this post what to do.

Back