EAA Young Eagles

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
I have a very strong interest in aviation for a long time ever since I was a teen. I want to share this interest with younger kids so they could experience the joys I had when I got started in aviation for the first time and hopefully become a pilot or consider a career in aviation.

I already know about the Young Eagles that EAA host. What is it like when you take Young Eagles up for a plane ride? Do they make a big grin the entire time they are up there (I almost can't stop smiling the entire time when I flew the Sportstar MAX with my current CFI for the first time recently)? Do most of the Young Eagles you took up for a plane ride continue on to learn to fly and be a pilot? How effective is the Young Eagles program at turning them into pilots?

I would like to participate in the Young Eagles program maybe someday if I had the time and if I had a pilots license (Sport Pilot is the minimum license needed to be a Young Eagles pilot).

Depends on the kids. Younger than 9 or so, it's just a carnival ride to them and they just chatter incessantly about whatever. If you get some older kids you can actually usually find one per plane load who is trully interested and you can put him up front and talk to him about what is going on.

Very few kids continue on, but I figure if I got even one who was interested in going on out of the dozens I fly, it would be worth it.

Our last batch of 40 or so was pretty much into flying. A couple were doing good enough in actually flying, one of the CFI's flying the kids logged dual for them in the freebie logbook. :D

Even the reporters from the local fish wraps were impressed enough to go up. ;)

Cheers

It's fun for most kids, all kinds of reactions, usually positive. Parents need kid-glove handling. Great PR for GA.

Great PR for GA.

Except when one crashes with a plane-load of kids onboard. I personally know of at least two accidents; one, the pilot forgot to remove the control lock; the other, the aircraft was 250 pounds overweight (even after an STC allowing an extra 200 pounds), out of CG limits, and despite all 4 seats being equipped, none of the occupants was wearing a shoulder harness.

Fly safe.

Very few kids continue on, but I figure if I got even one who was interested in going on out of the dozens I fly, it would be worth it.

One of the young guys who works at my home airport FBO asked me once:

"Have you given a bunch of young eagle rides in your RV?"

Me: "Yes"

Him: "I thought so. You gave me my first airplane ride. Thanks."

About ten years ago a Dad, who is the one who wanted a ride, charged the flight line dragging his kid. He may have been a little boozy, too. Well I got my Rotoclubbers stopped, but I never did a Young Eagles Ride after that. Tons of liability.

You CANNOT have enough big, burly ground marshallers. It's IMPOSSIBLE. I think marshallers should perhaps have tasers.

Except when one crashes with a plane-load of kids onboard. I personally know of at least two accidents; one, the pilot forgot to remove the control lock; the other, the aircraft was 250 pounds overweight (even after an STC allowing an extra 200 pounds), out of CG limits, and despite all 4 seats being equipped, none of the occupants was wearing a shoulder harness.

Fly safe.

Yep there's always that, which never ends. I prefer one or two kids a day, not into the ride mills...
I think the taser is overkill, a cattle prod is adequate.

Fly safe.

Yep there's always that, which never ends. I prefer one or two kids a day, not into the ride mills....

I fly Young Eagles. I fly old Eagles. I find introducing people to flying a lot of fun. My club has it set up almost like a field day. There's usually a grill with burgers and dogs. Done at an active airport, there's lots for the spectators to watch. Unfortunately, for most of the boys and girls though, it's an hour or two diversion from the home video game. I know of only two of the 100 or so I have flown that have gone on to get a license. Bad return on the money but I'd go flying anyways so why not help out GA and the EAA.

I've done it and would happily do it again. Only one fatality in 1.6 million rides, that's pretty darn good. If none of us are willing to stick out our necks our avocation dies. It's just that simple. Not to say that the YE are any kind of cure, but if we don't do something the outcome is certain.

Back