EAA Southwest Regional Fly-In, HDO

Me too!

I think it's the only fly-in I've been to where the conversation overheard in the queue to the BBQ was "What time of year do you calve? :)

Had a great time. Some really nice planes on the flight line. Really enjoyed listening to Mike Melville at the banquet.

Hope the wx permits a return next year. HOU ARTCC was great to work with getting in and out Thurs and Sun.

sessman said:
Been there, done that, got a shirt! :)

Steve, I wish I'd groked that you were going to be there. I would have made the (short) ride out from San Antonio.

Aw, you should have. I think you would have been the only Commander on the field! Maybe next year?

Haven't seen/heard the final count yet, but it looked to me they had the ramp about 90% full, single file on Saturday. And it is a huge ramp. Only one incident, on Saturday afternoon a Bellanca had its engine quit on climbout and the gear collapsed when it touched down on the runway at midfield. No injuries. With 3 other runways to choose from there was only a minor delay for departures.

Pretty sad to see all those AF trainers sitting under the hail sheds showing the signs of disuse.:(

wsuffa said:
Steve, I wish I'd groked that you were going to be there. I would have made the (short) ride out from San Antonio.

Last edited:
Back