EAA Lays off 30, hires Skiles

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
According to Flying Magazine, Rod Hightower has announced a restructuring at EAA that results in about 30 layoffs, including the photographer Jim Koepnick. They have also hired Jeff Skiles (copilot on "Miracle on the Hudson") as the director of EAA’s outreach programs.

Some of us have decided that EAA and AOPA now exist mostly for the purpose of funding their executive retirement packages... I no longer (regretfully) am willing help them to so fund... Apparently enough others have come to the same decision as to be noticeable...

denny-o (who dates back to Rockford)

I went to an EAA meeting and got to meet many pilots, some of whom I may fly with. I got more "aviation" done there in those 2 hours than in a year with another two flying organizations. That very same weekend, I met with a professor from Japan and learned about electric (CAFE) airplanes and the annual symposium on them. I saw a presentation on an automated Subaru aircraft (pilot inside but put his hands on the dash, plane took off and landed by itself). So far, to me, the EAA is about aviation.

I went to an EAA meeting and got to meet many pilots, some of whom I may fly with. I got more "aviation" done there in those 2 hours than in a year with another two flying organizations. That very same weekend, I met with a professor from Japan and learned about electric (CAFE) airplanes and the annual symposium on them. I saw a presentation on an automated Subaru aircraft (pilot inside but put his hands on the dash, plane took off and landed by itself). So far, to me, the EAA is about aviation.

Thats because it was a local chapter.

You'll find a lot of aviation in the local chapters. Start working your way up, and you'll start to find more and more bureaucrats. Many of whom are unnecessary.

I'm an AOPA member cuz they're basically all we've got.

You'll find a lot of aviation in the local chapters. Start working your way up, and you'll start to find more and more bureaucrats. Many of whom are unnecessary.

Yeah, but if AOPA sends me one more "Renew Now, Your membership is almost up!" notice, I'm cancelling the membership.

I wouldn't eat anthrax infested road kill if that was all I had.

Yeah, but if AOPA sends me one more "Renew Now, Your membership is almost up!" notice, I'm cancelling the membership.

They will, unless you call them and ask to be removed from those mailings. I did, and haven't been bothered since.

Pretty easy question for me. Are we better off with them or without them? No contest.

Here's EAA's Press release:
http://www.eaa.org/news/2012/2012-01...ganization.asp

January 12, 2012 - EAA President/CEO Rod Hightower today announced changes that will allow the 170,000-member organization to better fulfill its mission to grow participation in aviation. EAA is strengthening and reshaping the organization to capture the opportunities within its long-term strategic plan. As a result, the organization will be adding important capabilities, and aligning its resources with strategic priorities.
"This will strengthen our organization in several key areas to more effectively meet the needs of our members, donors and aviators," Hightower said. "We've made these moves after spending the past year reviewing EAA's operations to best align them with the organization's goals, and listening to many EAA members and supporters regarding the most valued areas of EAA."
The changes include the addition of new positions, transfers of responsibilities, and the elimination of some positions. There are also senior leadership changes as well, including:

• Jeff Skiles - Vice President, Chapters and Youth Education. Skiles is already well known as one of the famed "Miracle on the Hudson" pilots and for the past two years as Young Eagles co-chairman. He brings a wealth of aviation experience and passion to this new role as EAA strengthens and expands its global Chapter network and industry-leading Youth Education initiatives and programs.
  • Chad Jensen - Manager of EAA's Homebuilders Community. Jensen brings extensive homebuilding experience and aviation skills to this important role as EAA increases its knowledge and information capabilities for Homebuilders and the amateur-built segment of aviation. He will have extensive involvement with Flight Advisors, Tech Counselors and the passionate community of builders.
  • Heidi Strand of Blue Door Consulting in Oshkosh will lead EAA Marketing on an interim basis while EAA completes a search for Vice President of Marketing. Strand will lead EAA's brand and marketing capabilities and also be responsible for EAA digital media properties and strategy.
  • Vice President, AirVenture. This newly created role will lead the world's premier aviation event to continued growth and importance as the preeminent general aviation marketplace.
"Much thought and collaboration has been invested in the reshaping process to make EAA a stronger organization, better equipped to lead aviation and welcome the next generation of aviators," Hightower said.

Here's EAA's Press release:
http://www.eaa.org/news/2012/2012-01...ganization.asp

January 12, 2012 - EAA President/CEO Rod Hightower today announced changes that will allow the 170,000-member organization to better fulfill its mission to grow participation in aviation. EAA is strengthening and reshaping the organization to capture the opportunities within its long-term strategic plan. As a result, the organization will be adding important capabilities, and aligning its resources with strategic priorities.
"This will strengthen our organization in several key areas to more effectively meet the needs of our members, donors and aviators," Hightower said. "We've made these moves after spending the past year reviewing EAA's operations to best align them with the organization's goals, and listening to many EAA members and supporters regarding the most valued areas of EAA."

The problem is that EAA hasn't clearly stated its strategic priorities. I don't think they want to face the issue directly. Try finding a mission statement on the EAA website.

What appears to be happening is that the new guard is trying to remake the organization without actually sharing what their vision for the "New EAA".

When Coke had the "New Coke" snafu, at least they told the customers they had changed the formula and the product was "new and better". Six months and a customer revolt later, they dumped New Coke and went back to what the customers wanted.

EAA is doing the same thing without admitting that "New EAA" has replaced "Old EAA". There is no telling what the customers (members) will do, but I think it'll be hard running Airventure if they PO all of the volunteers, who are about as hardline "Old EAA" as you'll find.

Last edited:
I always love how dumping the team is spun by saying it will strengthen it -- by the guy at the top.

Last time I was involved in a "strengthening", I got a year looking for a job, and the company founders cashed in a cool 3 million each, when they sold the company to a larger competitor, three years later.

My personal savings wasn't "strengthened". It was decimated. By my calculations it put my retirement plans back about five to seven years.

They had lots of "rah rah" sessions and personal conversations with us while we worked 60 hour weeks, about how the company was a wonderful "family" as it went from zero to over 400 employees. I was employee number 42.

It pretty much solidified for me that no matter what a business owner promises, get paid up front.

"Equity" is all dissolved in a "strengthening". It's all about whether or not they have any personal morals and put their money where their mouths are.

Well, Monday you'll find 30 less of them at EAA.

Some of us have decided that EAA and AOPA now exist mostly for the purpose of funding their executive retirement packages... I no longer (regretfully) am willing help them to so fund... Apparently enough others have come to the same decision as to be noticeable...

denny-o (who dates back to Rockford)

Ditto on OSH at RFD. ;)

EAA is many things, and it is reshaping itself. Change never comes easy.

Last edited:
I have loved EAA for many years. This year will mark my 30th consecutive AirVenture, with luck.

As a casual, long-term observer, the organization has grown top-heavy, and GA is shrinking. Those are two lines on a graph that indicate a serious problem, and a restructuring/downsizing appeared to be necessary.

We can debate the legitimacy of whom was cut, and why -- I, for one, thought Jim Koepnick's photography was fantastic -- but IMHO cuts of some kind were/are necessary for the organization to survive.

I have loved EAA for many years. This year will mark my 30th consecutive AirVenture, with luck.

As a casual, long-term observer, the organization has grown top-heavy, and GA is shrinking. Those are two lines on a graph that indicate a serious problem, and a restructuring/downsizing appeared to be necessary.

We can debate the legitimacy of whom was cut, and why -- I, for one, thought Jim Koepnick's photography was fantastic -- but IMHO cuts of some kind were/are necessary for the organization to survive.

I suspect it is more of a change in the organization's direction than a cost cutting measure.

But I agree that EAA is probably facing a crisis in upcoming years. They have built a lot of overhead in both facilities and staff. Demographic trends among pilots indicate that the organization's revenues are due to drop significantly over the next 10-20 years. Without all of the income, it is gonna be hard to fulfill all of the EAA's committments.

I suspect it is more of a change in the organization's direction than a cost cutting measure.

But I agree that EAA is probably facing a crisis in upcoming years. They have built a lot of overhead in both facilities and staff. Demographic trends among pilots indicate that the organization's revenues are due to drop significantly over the next 10-20 years. Without all of the income, it is gonna be hard to fulfill all of the EAA's committments.

Yup. EAA is facing the same problem as all the RV parks down here in the Sunbelt. Everyone is making money hand-over-fist now, but their demographics parallel that of the pilot community.

In 20 years, you won't be able to give away an RV park. I shudder to think what AirVenture will be like in 2032.

The make up of the crowd at AirVenture will still be about the same proportions, but the fact that the main age group is at it's peak now (baby boom) means that things will necessarily contract even without the economic downturn.

Much as Jeff's a nice guy...axing Steve Buss who was THE interface guy with most of the regional Young Eagle chapters (and he was the one who sent me the letter thanking me for not killing any Young Eagles when I had my engine failure) doesn't bode well for that program.

I'm not a grumpy old EAA homebuilder, but I have to say the appointment of J Mac Maclellan to edit the magazine raised my eyebrows. Is it just me, or is he missing the big picture of the organization when he writes about turbojets and his precious Baron????????

I belong to EAA because I harbor the dream (illusion) that one day I'll build something. Probably from a kit, so I'm not a "true" EAA'r :)rolleyes:) but at any rate, that's why I belong.

I want stories about Pietenpols and the like. If I want to hear about turboprops and Mac flying with the latest space-age avionics, well, that's what Flying magazine is for......

Gets to be a pain!! I put a task on Outlook to renew on the last day. I'll bet I get two emails a week.

I'm an EAA and VAA member, and get the magazines.

Jeff Skiles has had a couple of articles. The writing is -- interesting.

Apparently the thesaurus is open and all synonyms are dumped into the essay to meet the word count.

For example:

A crowd has amassed along the south edge of the sod runway, peering into the last vestiges of this day. They have not come to gaze upon this perfect sunset; although no finer display could be called from memory; they are here with a different desire.

Now, some people prefer to amble upon the page, recollecting verbs and nouns that strike a chord within the heart; yet this essay; though early it be; is not read for words; instead, it is read for the content of aviation, which is found therein.

:redface:

According to Flying Magazine, Rod Hightower has announced a restructuring at EAA that results in about 30 layoffs, including the photographer Jim Koepnick. They have also hired Jeff Skiles (copilot on "Miracle on the Hudson") as the director of EAA’s outreach programs.

What the article says they have not done is appoint someone to direct AirVenture this years so thats going to be interesting. I'm wondering if its going to be a cluster.....and whether I should reconsider my first trip there this summer.

Pretty easy question for me. Are we better off with them or without them? No contest.

Very well said!

The article says that is not in fact a cost cutting measure.

I'm not sure what the future holds for EAA or home builders. I'd think that things like the Cirrus phenomenon might not bode well but then Cirrus has sparked a lot of interest in aviation, I suspect that perhaps home builders interests will migrate more toward composites and RVs with wizbang electronics. Who know.

The problem is that EAA hasn't clearly stated its strategic priorities. I don't think they want to face the issue directly. Try finding a mission statement on the EAA website.
Crikes, nobody needs a mission statement. Our management let our company run in to the ground while they spent a year trying to come up with a mission statement.

What appears to be happening is that the new guard is trying to remake the organization without actually sharing what their vision for the "New EAA".
There hasn't been a publicly disclosed vision for the EAA since Paul (not Tom) was in charge. Without specific comment as to those laid off, I can tell you the entire EAA staff and board has been entirely crony-istic for as long as I've been a member so when the regime changes you can expect some heads to roll.

What the article says they have not done is appoint someone to direct AirVenture this years so thats going to be interesting. I'm wondering if its going to be a cluster.....and whether I should reconsider my first trip there this summer.

Don't worry -- with 750,000 people and 12,000 aircraft, AirVenture is an event that almost transcends EAA.

The volunteers who put the event together have worked together for so long, it will all come together -- with or without a figurehead leader. So long as the FAA shows up to direct traffic, and the EAA gets the food vendors (in) and the porta-potties (out), the main attraction will always be the pilots who fly in.

Everything else is just fluff, for me. This will be our 30th in a row, with luck.

You just brought up their next problem. FAA will start charging user fees to pay for all the staff at AirVenture. :)

(I know. I know. Don't give them any ideas.)

I'm letting my AOPA expire. I've already received my AOPA magazine with "This is your last issue" plastered across the front page. There just isn't enough appeal to justify the hundred or so dollars a year that I was spending with them.

John

I'm letting my AOPA expire. I've already received my AOPA magazine with "This is your last issue" plastered across the front page. There just isn't enough appeal to justify the hundred or so dollars a year that I was spending with them.

Really, I'm paying less than half that.

Back