EAA bringing the TruTrak Vizion autopilot to certified aircraft

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
My apologies if this has already been hashed out, but I didn't see much of anything about it in a quick search. EAA has a snippet about it here: https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news.../09-22-2016-eaa-announces-trutrak-stc-project

The price seems to be in the $5,000 range, based on this article: http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/new...-Autopilots-in-Certified-Market-226721-1.html

The ballpark price I was given a while back was $15,000 for an S-TEC install, so some additional competition in this arena would certainly be welcome.

Full three axis autopilot with nav tracking and altitude hold?! For 5k?! Sign me up! That's 3 grand under a similar Brittain unit, which is already cheaper than the other options.

I would like to see how much weight it adds though. I'm already pretty weight limited with my lowly Cherokee so every oz counts.

Full three axis autopilot with nav tracking and altitude hold?! For 5k?! Sign me up! That's 3 grand under a similar Brittain unit, which is already cheaper than the other options.

I would like to see how much weight it adds though. I'm already pretty weight limited with my lowly Cherokee so every oz counts.

That's awesome!The salad days of avionics for GA are here!

That's 3 grand under a similar Brittain unit, which is already cheaper than the other options.

I finally looked up the Brittian system you mentioned to me when I saw this thread title. I'm glad there are cheaper options becoming available.

Stech has to be one of the worst companies as far as "out of dealer network" support. I would never buy one.

This is a huge breath of fresh air. I really hope these can change the business practices of some of these crappy business models.

It is most likely not a three axis autopilot. Seriously doubt it has yaw damper.

Two axis.....................Okay, I'll believe that.

Feature list for the Vizion, from their site:

Available in 2.25” cut-out or Flat Pack
Built-in Ground Track DG
Track Select Mode
GPS Nav Mode
GPS Steering Mode
Altitude Hold
VS Select Mode
Altitude Pre-select
Altitude Select
Vertical GPS Steering Mode
Control Wheel Steering
Pitch Trim Annunciation
Automatic Pitch Trim
Emergency AP Level Mode
Interfaces with Dynon Skyview, Garmin G3X and G3X Touch, AFS 5000 Series, GRT HX/HXr
12-28 Volts
Round: 2.5” H x 2.5” W x 5.5” D
Flat Pack: 1.6” H x 4.3” W x 6.1” D

Found this in the manual as well:

5.1.6. YAW DAMPER?
Selectable between N and Y. Setting this to Y will engage an installed yaw damper with the autopilot. Leave this set at N if no yaw damper is installed.

Last edited:
So would it interface with a GNS/GTN?

They show a number of devices in the manual, detailing connectivity. 430, 530, GNS480, GTN-650, etc...

Too early to tell what the specifics will be, but they do offer a yaw damper, it seems: http://www.trutrakap.com/product/yaw-damper/

$2000 or so for an installed yaw damper? That seems almost too good to be true.

For the Vizion:

"Purchase includes two standard servos, in-stock mounting kits, controller, connector kit, automatic pitch trim module" for $2200.

Looks like $5000 for three-axis isn't impossible. Of course, we don't know what the STC will add to the price.

For the Vizion:

"Purchase includes two standard servos, in-stock mounting kits, controller, connector kit, automatic pitch trim module"

Why on earth would you want a YD in a small GA plane??

That's just adding crap to add crap.

Not suggesting I'd want one. Just that it's nice to have a cheap option.

This is true.

Still on of the issues with most of the GA fleet is bloat and all the crap people install over the years, from panel mounted portables, to aileron trim on tiny planes.

For the Vizion:

"Purchase includes two standard servos, in-stock mounting kits, controller, connector kit, automatic pitch trim module" for $2200.

Looks like $5000 for three-axis isn't impossible. Of course, we don't know what the STC will add to the price.

You would think the FAA would want to make that as cheap as possible for GA, because it would make us safer pilots.

One of my clients put a TruTrak in his Jabru Light Sport. One of the best autopilots I've flown.

You would think the FAA would want to make that as cheap as possible for GA, because it would make us safer pilots.

Just turn it off before landing ;)

I like pie (book mark phrase)

Now that you've admitted that, I need to go sprinkle that phrase all over various threads. Hahah.

Seriously though, an autopilot for less money than a panel mount GPS. That's impressive. Or sad, depending on how you look at it.

I think for the Dynon the STC was like what... 100 bucks? Not terrible for a 2100 piece of kit that saves 2k from the previous 'certified' piece of kit that was the SAME DAMN THING.

FAA doesn't set the cost. TruTrak and EAA will set what they charge for the piece of paper, as they control it.

I'm buying into a 182 and there's talk of updating the ancient wing leveler in the next few years.

Definitely going to vote to hold off because there's zero reason to spend 20k on old tech with this stuff in the pipeline that's much cheaper and much better.

How long did it take to certify the AIs they did recently? And what's the expected timeframe on the trutrack getting certified?

No, they don't care what it costs. Look at ridiculous ADs. In fact they would love bugsmashers to go away, at the behest of their masters in the AFA.

Looks like the STC is ready and they will actually be selling some at SnF... Does anybody know if this will work like the Experimental A/C version with the trim tabs on the control surfaces... (ECO system) or will it utilize internal (within the airframe) trim servos? I ask because I've read some stuff that makes it look like the STC development is on a separate track than the ECO.

Looks like the STC is ready and they will actually be selling some at SnF... Does anybody know if this will work like the Experimental A/C version with the trim tabs on the control surfaces... (ECO system) or will it utilize internal (within the airframe) trim servos? I ask because I've read some stuff that makes it look like the STC development is on a separate track than the ECO.

From my understanding, it is servos to the control rods/cables. Since the kit comes with servos (not tabs), that's what I'm assuming it is.

Hoping to see C182P on the permitted list in the near future.

I'm very curious about their pricing structure. The email they sent out today says that the install kit for the 172 F-R and the 177 is going to be $1,000... which includes the install kit and wiring harness... and being placed on the list to buy the actual autopilot this summer.

The current Vizion retails for $2,100 which "includes two standard servos, in-stock mounting kits, controller, connector kit, automatic pitch trim module."

So ... is it going to be $1,000 for the install kit, $2,100 for the unit (minus the "in-stock mounting kits"), + X amount of money for the STC?

Hmmmmmm.....

I have a single axis TruTrak autopilot in my RV. It is rock solid.

Jim Younkin is the brains behind TT's products. He's been in the business of autopilot design and manufacture for 60 years.

You will not go wrong with one of their products.

They have said the aproved unit for certified aircraft will be more expensive than the experimantal unit. I think I saw an estimate of $8000 for the aproved unit

All tru trak equipment is currently for experiemental use, and they have both varieties; The approved systems will be a traditional servo-on-controls style, afaik.

They have said the aproved unit for certified aircraft will be more expensive than the experimantal unit. I think I saw an estimate of $8000 for the aproved unit
I hope that isn't true. 8000 for the unit, 1000 for the kit, 1500 ish for the install. 10k is better than some of the existing new autopilots... but that's still over Brittain pricing.

Why on earth would you want a YD in a small GA plane??

That's just adding crap to add crap.

Frankly it would be a welcome addition in many small aircraft that like to wag the tail in turbulence.

Back