EAA bans guns at OSH

If there were as many restrictions on the First Amendment as there are on the Second Amendment people would "be up in arms".

The current SCOTUS is finally getting around to whittling away those restrictions, it is just going to take some time, even if our current AG seems to think we should all be brainwashed into not wanting guns.....it is our constitutional right.

Tom's point makes sense, though. Why prevent law abiding citizens from carrying?

To clarify,,,, not MY point, simply a re-post from EAA forums.

Simple food for thought...

I have noticed a trend, nut jobs never choose a gun show to start a killing spree, always a no guns allowed area.

why is that ?

The reality is that having guns permitted keeps more family people away than it attracts, it's bottom line. Concealed Carry mentality is a minority mentality in this country. The VAST majority of people have no desire to carry and don't trust people who are so afraid they feel they need to carry a gun at all times. While the majority of CC people are not nuts, there is a significant number of total paranoid idiots who carry.
Another opinion with no citations. :rolleyes2:

What kind of terrain is made more hospitable by carrying a handgun? Wouldn't a chainsaw be a better choice?

Here's a realistic scenario: Pilot flies his 1939 Chief from MT to WI for AirVenture, crossing many miles of open nothingness. This pilot chooses to carry a firearm in the event of a letdown in the wilderness (and if you haven't been outside the 95 Corridor you don't know how inhospitable terrain can be...)

Anyway, on safe arrival to Oshkosh, he decides to carry the firearm rather than leave it untended in the aircraft as he peruses the EAA grounds.

So this is is a sign of "mental illness?"

:rolleyes2:

What kind of terrain is made more hospitable by carrying a handgun? Wouldn't a chainsaw be a better choice?

or
- 2-4 MREs
- a satellite phone

Not particularly, but if it came down to it I'd like to see how well your Glock works against their AK-47's.

You ever fly over West Virginia? Maybe you'd like to see how it works out when you land in a field owned by some local meth or pot producers.

Not particularly, but if it came down to it I'd like to see how well your Glock works against their AK-47's.

Hence why last I flew over terrain out side of my normal Ohio farm country I had a semi automatic rifle.

Good for two and four legged preditors as well as food.:wink2:

Now FWIW this won't affect me and Osh. If I go it will be on a part 135 flight with out my weapon anyway.

Doesn't the owner of private property have the right to deny firearms on premises? Seems simple enough. My point is still valid with walking into the EAA museum in Oshkosh WI, probably even more so outside of Airventure. If you feel at threat to your life there to the point where you would rather not go than go unarmed, you have serious mental issues.

Makes the huge and largely incorrect assumption that people carry guns because they are scared of something. I wore running shoes to work today, it's not because I think a marathon is going to spontaneously start up in my office today. It's because I like em and I shouldn't have to justify my decision to wear them to anyone. Same goes with a gun, some folks just like em and like to have em. That's as far as the discussion should ever go. Is everybody really that scared of each other? Armed or not? I'd say folks too scared to be around folks who've gone through the gummint vetting process for CC are the ones with a mental issue.

Another opinion with no citations. :rolleyes2:

What is the population of non felon citizens in the US > than 18? (233,693,938) What is the percentage thereof that have applied for a CCP? (7,383,159 according to http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm) What is the percentage there of that are denied? (don't know).

So, that tells me that 3% of Americans over the age of 18 have a CCP. Let's say that 50% of the population lives where CC is not an option so that brings it to 6% of eligible Americans ask for CCP.
The counts vary between 70 and 80 million gun owners in the country so when you consider that minority ownership among the population and only 10% of those have applied for a carry permit, the overall evidence favors my position.

What is the population of non felon citizens in the US > than 18? (233,693,938) What is the percentage thereof that have applied for a CCP? (7,383,159 according to http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm) What is the percentage there of that are denied? (don't know).

So, that tells me that 3% of Americans over the age of 18 have a CCP. Let's say that 50% of the population lives where CC is not an option so that brings it to 6% of eligible Americans ask for CCP.
The counts vary between 70 and 80 million gun owners in the country so when you consider that minority ownership among the population and only 10% of those have applied for a carry permit, the overall evidence favors my position.
No, it doesn't. all you have done is estimated the number of CCP holders. No statistics on their mental state.

Can the statistical analysis be expanded to include the risk/threat assessment at OSH? Does somebody think they will be Geezered to death?

With all the crap you end up carrying around at the show, why in the world would anybody want to carry anything else?

No, it doesn't. all you have done is estimated the number of CCP holders. No statistics on their mental state.

Per Wisconsin law, the banning of a firearm does not pertain to the gun being stored in a car, unloaded, in the parking lot. So if you're carrying, notice the sign (or are asked to not carry), you can go back to your car, unload and leave it there legally.

My work prohibits firearms, but with the new law, they had to change their policy to allow weapons in the parking lot.

The gray area is, what's deemed a parking lot. Does your plane tiedown count as a "parking lot" so that you can legally leave your gun in the plane. I wouldn't count on it (or at least risk getting your gun seized for the week, while the police figure that out).

EAA as a private entity has the right to ask you not to carry a firearm on the premises. Your rights as a gun owner (and the new right to carry a handgun concealed in WI) does not overrule the rights of the property owner. I don't see it as a big deal, just leave it at home.

And yes, I conceal carry.

Continuing the question of the gray area...EAA owns the museum and the land it resides on, but who owns the 4 large hangars? Who owns the grass/swamp land around 9-26 (aka North 40)? Does WI define my airplane as a vehicle? Since there are specific entry points to the AirVenture grounds that is ringed by a fence, does this mean I can carry on the runway/taxiway/North 40 but not inside the fence?

Can the statistical analysis be expanded to include the risk/threat assessment at OSH? Does somebody think they will be Geezered to death?

With all the crap you end up carrying around at the show, why in the world would anybody want to carry anything else?
Probably not since the analysis was merely an estimate of the number of CCP holders.

Continuing the question of the gray area...EAA owns the museum and the land it resides on, but who owns the 4 large hangars? Who owns the grass/swamp land around 9-26 (aka North 40)? Does WI define my airplane as a vehicle? Since there are specific entry points to the AirVenture grounds that is ringed by a fence, does this mean I can carry on the runway/taxiway/North 40 but not inside the fence?
It's a little unclear whether the ban is for the Museum (a place), or AirVenture (a Special Event) or both. But I would certainly argue that it would be legal to leave the unloaded weapon there. Now, for aircraft inside the grounds, e.g. on display, that might be a different situation.

Their mental state is not an issue, their perceived mental state by the overwhelming majority who do not feel the need to carry is what is at issue.

The majority of people taking their kid into the EAA museum would prefer that the other patrons not be armed.

I'm more worried about a flat tire in South Dallas than about flying over the sawtooths in a single. And I'd be willing to compare logbooks with you to determine who has spent more time doing it.

I have a Sig P229 and a S&W M&P, thank you.

And as a member of JTF6, I can tell you M16s and M60s are much better equipment.

Their mental state is not an issue, their perceived mental state by the overwhelming majority who do not feel the need to carry is what is at issue.

The majority of people taking their kid into the EAA museum would prefer that the other patrons not be armed.

BZZZZ wrong again. You have no way of showing that as it's just your personal opinion.

Move to strike. Speculation.

If there were as many restrictions on the First Amendment as there are on the Second Amendment people would "be up in arms".

The current SCOTUS is finally getting around to whittling away those restrictions, it is just going to take some time, even if our current AG seems to think we should all be brainwashed into not wanting guns.....it is our constitutional right.

This has ZERO to do with the second amendment.

The second details what the state can say about guns. If I decide to tell you to leave your gun at home or stay off my property, that has NOTHING to do with the second amendment, and I'm free to kick your ass off my property, or indeed have you charged with criminal trespass, should you choose to ignore my instructions.

Nobody forces you to enter posted property.

I've never been to OSH. Now, it looks like I never will.

It's not about a ban at OSH. It is really about stirring up controversy so people will take sides on internet forums, and then the feds can monitor and identify who keeps guns and who don't. Then, they know who to go after first when the SHTF. Then, the rest of you will no longer have those guys around to defend you.

The second details what the state can say about guns. If I decide to tell you to leave your gun at home or stay off my property, that has NOTHING to do with the second amendment, and I'm free to kick your ass off my property, or indeed have you charged with criminal trespass, should you choose to ignore my instructions.

Define ( My property )...

The EAA is a non profit entity consisting of a huge collection of dues paying members... So, Who actually OWNS the property?:dunno:.

If you fly in and are parked in the north 40, that is STATE owned land,,
Who can tell you what you can do and not do . :dunno:

The lawyers can get rich on the "what if's" in this scenerio... IMHO.

:popcorn:

I'm an idiot when it comes to these things but isn't KOSH public property?

I agree though, if people don't want you and your attire on their private property, don't go.

It's not about a ban at OSH. It is really about stirring up controversy so people will take sides on internet forums, and then the feds can monitor and identify who keeps guns and who don't. Then, they know who to go after first when the SHTF. Then, the rest of you will no longer have those guys around to defend you.

We are right back to that "fusion center" thing again, ain't we.:dunno:

Cool, nobody cares if you go to Airventure or the EAA museum at OSH really. EAA didn't stir up controversy, EAA set a policy. It's idiots who feel that they should be carrying a firearm everywhere that are stirring up controversy, and to be honest, I'd rather you not be in close quarters with you anyway with that mentality. There's plenty of us out there who own firearms and carry on occasion who can simply respect the basis of the ask and trust the EAA to keep us from having to get in a firefight while we visit their facility.

Last edited:
Define ( My property )...

The EAA is a non profit entity consisting of a huge collection of dues paying members... So, Who actually OWNS the property?:dunno:.

If you fly in and are parked in the north 40, that is STATE owned land,,
Who can tell you what you can do and not do . :dunno:

The lawyers can get rich on the "what if's" in this scenerio... IMHO.

:popcorn:
Not so much on the non profit.

I don't smoke, but I have friends that do, and they know I don't allow smoking in my house so they don't. When I'm in their house I put up with their smoke because t is their house. Unless WI has a "duty to act" law requiring all citizens to react to crime the EAA has zero liability. While I recognize the freedom to bear arms, and carry myself in my home state, I also recognize the freedoms of private entities to set their own rules on their own turf. Whining doesn't negate the rights of others.

Back