EAA 268 Flyout - March 3 - GA/TN

Richard O

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Richard O.
EAA Chapter 268 will host a flyout to the Staggerwing Museum in Tullahoma, TN (THA) on Saturday March 3. I haven't finalized all of the details yet but I wanted to go ahead and post this so people interested in joining us could mark thier calandar. I'll post more information as it becomes available or you can check our chapter website. Everyone is invited.

www.eaa268.org
www.staggerwing.com

Where are you departing from ?

What is a flyout
It's an attempt to burn the most avgas by a group of pilots using the least efficient settings while attempting to gain the most speed to a particular destination where they will obtain and attempt to digest the most expensive hamburger on the menu. They will have spent more money than their entire year's tax liability but will have had a hell of a lot more fun.

Make sense? :D

Richard - Bill and I have the trip on the the calandar so post details when you can.
P.S. The poker run last weekend was great.

I might be able to rendevouz at THA that morning. I'll watch the wx in that direction.

I've gotten all of the details worked out. We will meet at Calhoun (CZL) at Noon. The tour takes approximately 1.5 hours so we want to arrive at the museum when they open at 2:00 eastern time. That should give us plenty of time for the tour and to look around and still get home by dark. We are getting the group rate of $3 per person for entrance to the museum. Please use the online registration form on our website so I can have an idea of how many to expect.
http://www.eaa268.org/Future events.html

Hope to see you there.

Richard

I might be able to rendevouz at THA that morning. I'll watch the wx in that direction.

Steve, it would be great to see you there, Brent and I will be attending. Also, once we get the Mooney, I'd like to drop down south sometime soon to say howdy.

There's only one other hitch for me. Mary's flight home from DFW arrives at 11 that morning. I might have to hang around the airport here unless she can get an earlier flight out the night before. :(

I would love to see your airplane. Hope you can make it.

Steve, it would be great to see you there, Brent and I will be attending. Also, once we get the Mooney, I'd like to drop down south sometime soon to say howdy.

The weather forcast for this Saturday is looking good. We've already had a lot of people sign up for this flyout but there's plenty of room for more.

Well, Mary's transportation has been worked out, but due to the severe weather here last Saturday, the EAA fly-in in Shreveport (DTN) was re-scheduled for next weekend. Gotta get my name in the hat for those amazing door prizes...:p

www.laflyins.com

Maybe next time...B)

Anyone got an extra seat or two? I would love to go and unfortunately I cannot pick up my plane until next week sometime.

If you have two the lovely wife would be joining us, if not it will be just ugly old me! :D

Due to high wind conditions we are postponing the flyout until next Saturday. All details will remain the same except for the date. Myself and one other member have phoned everyone that signed up.

Richard....I was going to ask how it went. The winds yesterday were a bit, brisk, and I was wondering if you all flew.

Perhaps I can make that one as I hope to have the plane down here on Tuesday. Then again I may be using that day to get more practice in the new plane!

The forcast was ugly for yesterday.

I hope you can come with us Tom. Please use the online registration form on our chapter website even if you're not sure. Myself and another chapter member called everyone on the list yesterday morning. A couple of them hadn't checked the forcast and would have shown up at CZL if we hadn't called them.

Richard, Are we still on for tomorrow?
The weather forcast is dreadful. I'm holding out hope that the forcast will be wrong but it's not looking good at this point. Here's the forcast for N GA:
Georgia
North half ... 2,000 feet to 2,500 feet broken to scattered, tops 5,000
feet to 6,000 feet. 1am EST (06Z) 1,000 feet to 2,000 feet broken to
overcast. Visibility 3 to 5 statute miles in mist. Outlook: IFR due to
ceilings and mist light rain.

TN is slightly better but conditions are due to deteriorate as the day goes on.
Either way I'll wake up early in the morning and have another look.

Current BNA TAF

092337Z 100024 21010KT P6SM SCT150 BKN250
FM0300 17006KT P6SM SCT150 BKN250 PROB30 0914 18006KT 5SM -SHRA BKN050 OVC100
FM1400 19006KT P6SM BKN030 OVC100
TEMPO 1418 5SM -SHRA BR OVC025
FM1800 23007KT P6SM SCT025 OVC050 PROB30 1824 6SM -RA OVC025

:(

Well I woke up this morning all set to go out to the airport and do some touch-and-go's in the new bird...alas the weather SUCKS.

Oh well, I will just go and hang out and start the cleaning process. I am amazed at how filthy some people let something as expensive and beautiful as a plane get!

I'm sorry to here that this trip is having trouble going. It sounds like it would be a fun trip.

What's really funny is that I went to the airport this morning and didn't fly because the weather was too good! I wanted to get in a few approaches is actual and the forecasts last night and this morning pointed to that being possible.

It looks nice out now. Hopefully you guys got it in this weekend.

Wooohoooo! I got 1.4 hours in today in the new bird, going to a couple of different airports. I went 4A7-KOPN-KPIM-KCCO-4A7. It was a fun round-robin and allowed me to start, notice I said start, to dial in landing the plane.

The weather looks great tomorrow so I am going to take the wife up and get her introduced to "her" airplane! :D

Congratulations on getting started in the plane Tom. I can't wait for a ride.;)

The VFR gods smiled upon us this morning and we got the flight in. I wouldn't have given you a dime for the chance of us getting to fly based on the forcast we had last night but alas the skys cleared and we had a good flight. I took my camera but failed to check and didn't have a memory card so I'll post some pictures when I get them from some other participants.

We have another flyout planned for April 7 to Peach State Aerodrome (GA2). I'll post more details on that in the next week or so. And for any of you that live in the North Atlanta Metro area we would love to have you join us at EAA 268. www.eaa268.org

What is a flyout
Just to make sure I have this straight....

Flyin: pilots from all over fly into one place.

Flyout: pilots - all from one airport - fly together to another airport, preferably by taking the most planes and empty seats as possible :D

Congratulations on getting started in the plane Tom. I can't wait for a ride.;)

The VFR gods smiled upon us this morning and we got the flight in. I wouldn't have given you a dime for the chance of us getting to fly based on the forcast we had last night but alas the skys cleared and we had a good flight. I took my camera but failed to check and didn't have a memory card so I'll post some pictures when I get them from some other participants.

We have another flyout planned for April 7 to Peach State Aerodrome (GA2). I'll post more details on that in the next week or so. And for any of you that live in the North Atlanta Metro area we would love to have you join us at EAA 268. www.eaa268.org

Sounds like I missed a good chance. I got up yesterday morning and found that we had 3 miles visibility and an overcast layer at 500 AGL. I called it a no go and went elsewhere.

It was blue skies and sunshine by lunch. I sure wished that I had been more patient and waited!

I'm glad ya'll finally got to go.

John I drove down to Aircraft Spruce Saturday morning and it looked worse down there than it did on the north side. Someone called me and told me it was starting to break up on the north side so most decided to meet up and see what it looked like. I won't say it was a perfect weather flight but it was VFR. It was bumpy and hazy under the clouds, smooth and clear on top. But you had to climb to 7500' to get on top.

Richard....I noticed that. The haze under the clouds was bad.

John...I did not actually put wings in the air until 3PM. In the morning it looked like crud!

Back