E6B Pro is on the App Store!

$99 per YEAR to have your app in the store? Wow, I had no idea. I wish you lots of luck with this! If you have a free app, how does somebody make money at it?

Hope this pays for all your flying!!! And a Mac upgrade, if you want one! I'd buy it, but I have a Droid.
Most of the free apps are advertisement supported. That's pretty hard to do with an aviation app because the market is so small.

It's $99/year to have the ability to put apps on the App Store, and Apple gets a 30% cut of sales. There is no specific cost to getting an app approved.

Wow, sounds like sharecropping.

Good work, Jesse!

Good work, Jesse!

That is funny... and eerily accurate. Some business models never die.

Hope it works out better for Jesse than the dirt farmers of the South.

Jesse - may the rains(downloads) come when needed, and the boll weevil(bad reviews) choose your neighbors fields(apps) instead of yours. ;)

There's a show on CNBC (I think) about writing the iPhone apps. Imagine spending $2.5 million including making promotional videos and getting no news - not a peep of feedback - on approval from Apple a year after submission.

Well, it's actually a pretty good deal for the developers, IMHO. You don't have to do any payment handling, you don't even have to have a web site if you don't want. You are connected with customers, searchable... You don't have any bandwidth costs, etc. etc... And the people that write free apps get all of the above for free. I'm guessing that most of the iOS app developers would have higher costs than 30% on these items. Plus, it's rather easy - Submit app, get paid. Done.

There's a show on CNBC (I think) about writing the iPhone apps. Imagine spending $2.5 million including making promotional videos and getting no news - not a peep of feedback - on approval from Apple a year after submission.

Who the heck spent all that money, and didn't bother to read the developer agreement? Or are you talking about Google Voice?

That sounds like a bad idea on their part when they're spending that much money on the assumption of approval from the dictator.

Well, it's actually a pretty good deal for the developers, IMHO. You don't have to do any payment handling, you don't even have to have a web site if you don't want. You are connected with customers, searchable... You don't have any bandwidth costs, etc. etc... And the people that write free apps get all of the above for free. I'm guessing that most of the iOS app developers would have higher costs than 30% on these items. Plus, it's rather easy - Submit app, get paid. Done.

Sure they make it easy and there are advantages for developers, but they also charge you for it. Payment handling is darn simple anyway, you just get a PayPal account and they take their (much smaller) fee. Websites are cheap to do, and I'd guess that a number of apps have websites in addition to using the Apple store. The primary advantage is the fact that it's in the Apple store, which Apple has made the only source of iPhone aps out there. Meanwhile, there are lots of places

I don't see all this justifying the 30% paycut. Of course, Apple is in business to make money, so it's their choice to do what they're doing. Clearly it's working. I'd see 15% being reasonable, but 30%? It's a successful business model of making money off of the backs of the small developers.

CafePress has a similar business model - they'll print your merchandise on a number of items and then sell them. They end up taking what is likely a decent profit (you don't know what it is since that's the base price), and then you can add on however much else. I see two big differences, though. The first one is that you have zero inventory (a big deal for small businesses), and the second is you can add on however much cost you want to it, and they won't take any additional profit away from you for it. We make a very small amount of money off of merchandise sales through CafePress, but that's not how we're trying to make money. If you're selling apps, it is.

Meanwhile for my BlackBerry that everyone will boo-hiss because it's not an iPhone, I've been able to get the apps I want where I want from various sources, and just put them on. I like the model for this thing better, and that's why I'll probably buy another one when it's time for an upgrade. I thought about getting an iPhone, but I don't think I'm interested.

Sure they make it easy and there are advantages for developers, but they also charge you for it.

But as I stated, I believe that when the costs for everything you get are added up, the 30% is reasonable and quite possibly less than you'd spend on everything else.

Payment handling is darn simple anyway, you just get a PayPal account and they take their (much smaller) fee.

But you still have to set up your web site and/or software to work with that... With the App Store you don't have to worry about it, and you can easily do in-app purchases as well.

Websites are cheap to do, and I'd guess that a number of apps have websites in addition to using the Apple store.

I was thinking more in terms of bandwidth costs. Websites are cheap to set up, but if you have a large app, bandwidth could become an issue.

I don't see all this justifying the 30% paycut. Of course, Apple is in business to make money, so it's their choice to do what they're doing. Clearly it's working. I'd see 15% being reasonable, but 30%? It's a successful business model of making money off of the backs of the small developers.

I doubt Apple makes much profit on the App Store. Apple's normal business model is to make money off the hardware, and practically give the software away.

Meanwhile for my BlackBerry that everyone will boo-hiss because it's not an iPhone

Boo! Hiss! ;) :D

My brain just took a 50,000 foot view - mostly based on what Merlin Mann says on MacBreak Weekly - and realized how absolutely insane it is that we came to letting the manufacturer decided what programs a computer you own can run. This applies to both Apple controlling the iPhone apps almost entirely and Google being the overlord of Android App Store, although that works out to much less control.

Imagine if Apple had to bless every application on the Apple II or the anti-trust that would have ensued if IBM had to bless every PC program. :incazzato:

We am in Bizzarroworld.

I've installed stuff not from the Android store.

I've installed stuff not from the Android store.

I know. What they're saying is Google has to approve the apps in the Android store, Google Apps are only licensed to run on Google-blessed Android(?) and you can run Android on any device, since it's Open Source with a GPL, license, but you can't use the Google logo.

Not a big deal vice Apple and the iPhone, where you can only run your own apps if you jailbreak it.

Who the heck spent all that money, and didn't bother to read the developer agreement? Or are you talking about Google Voice?

Some app to let you use another phone number on the iPhone.

Found the show; Planet of the Apps"
http://www.cnbc.com/id/34416513/
Heh. From (Bill) Kurtis Productions. He just got his anchor job from 20+ years ago back.

That app in not in the show notes. TextHog seemed pretty dumb to me but some make like it.

Jesse, it looks great. I don't have an iDevice, but if I did I would surely purchase it. Looking forward to see what else you'll come out with.

Version 1.1 is now available on the app store!
-new feature: True Airspeed from Mach
-new feature: Glide Altitude
-new feature: Glide Ratio
-new feature: Glide Distance
-new feature: Zulu & local time in Timer
-usability: minor UI change to conversions

Those of you that purchased v1.0 should have the update available to you, free of charge, in the updates section of the "App Store".

Expect to see version 1.2 within the next few weeks.

<SNIP>

I doubt Apple makes much profit on the App Store. Apple's normal business model is to make money off the hardware, and practically give the software away.

I remember CodeWarrior costing an arm and a leg compared to any PC compiler due to licensing fees for the Apple SDK (actually called something other than an SDK back then). I don't know if they made much money this way, but it was one reason developers wrote for PCs despite some really nice features on the Mac.

Fantastic! I'm going to get it for my iPad just 'cause you wrote it. Congrats.

I remember CodeWarrior costing an arm and a leg compared to any PC compiler due to licensing fees for the Apple SDK (actually called something other than an SDK back then). I don't know if they made much money this way, but it was one reason developers wrote for PCs despite some really nice features on the Mac.

No, it cost an arm and a leg because CodeWarrior was a product of Metrowerks and they had to make a profit on it. How many units do you think a company that makes an SDK for a niche platform (which the Mac really was in those days) will sell? How much R&D do you think it takes to make a good SDK? (hint: a metric crap-ton looks small in comparison.)

No, it cost an arm and a leg because CodeWarrior was a product of Metrowerks and they had to make a profit on it. How many units do you think a company that makes an SDK for a niche platform (which the Mac really was in those days) will sell? How much R&D do you think it takes to make a good SDK? (hint: a metric crap-ton looks small in comparison.)
Believe what you want.

Apple really could have been the "standard" platform at that time, but they made a lot of sub-optimal decisions and one of them was licence fees from the companies that produced program tools. Metrowerks had to make a profit, as you state and part of their costs was license fees to Apple. Metrowerks sold CodeWarrior at a much lower cost for PalmPilots (later); I'm sure that was a niche market too. As Apple was supplying the code in question, not much R&D was needed by Metrowerks. Apple was supplying whatever libraries were needed for the Pascal and C/C++ compilers to link into the Apple ROMs.

I've High-me'd Jesse's thread enough...feel free to start another as I won't continue the discussion here.

Apple really could have been the "standard" platform at that time, but they made a lot of sub-optimal decisions

You ain't kiddin' - But by that point the game was lost to Windows already. Heck, when Windows 3 came out (1989?) the game was pretty much lost already. CodeWarrior wasn't a prominent product until the Power Macs were first released in 1994.

Metrowerks sold CodeWarrior at a much lower cost for PalmPilots (later); I'm sure that was a niche market too.

I bet there were a LOT more Palm devices (and copies of that version of CW) being sold in those days than Macs. Heck, even my mom had a Palm.

I think I'll have to purchase just to see if it works correctly:D.

I think I'll have to purchase just to see if it works correctly:D.
No one has reported an issue yet - but if someone can find one it'll be you :) I'm doing some final testing on v1.2 and about to submit it to the store (takes apple about 10 days to approve my updates).

Version 1.2 is now available on the app store!
-new feature: automatically populate decimal in inHg pressure input.
-new feature: Timer will now alert you in count-down mode even if you've quit the app (iOS 4+ only)
-new feature: timer plays sound and vibrates in count-down mode.
-new feature: Meters per second supported as a speed unit

The above update is free of charge for anyone who has purchased E6B Pro.

Thanks for the update! I used this app quite a bit on my last work trip. Very easy to find what I needed and data input was as simple as I think it can be. Thanks again for a great product!

On sale for $3.99 - limited time only!

v1.5 just hit the app store - which adds Freezing Level information to the Cloud Base function.

On sale for 99 cents - limited time holiday offer.

Downloaded it the other day and it is by far the best on the iphone. I had several others but yours is the easiest to use. I especially like that is carries computations over to the next function...very cool feature. I left a positive review on iTunes as well. Thanks for the great work Jesse, looking forward to your future updates.

Downloaded it the other day and it is by far the best on the iphone. I had several others but yours is the easiest to use. I especially like that is carries computations over to the next function...very cool feature. I left a positive review on iTunes as well. Thanks for the great work Jesse, looking forward to your future updates.
Thank you, glad to hear that, I am working on the next update for it which will be bringing TAFs and METARs.

Back