E6B + Plotter Suggestions?

asechrest

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
asechrest
Hello all.

My nifty Cessna Pilot Kit E6B/plotter combo warped in my car in the Florida heat.

Any suggestions on a replacement? Right now I have ordered the metal ASA E6B and the separate fixed plotter. Any cons to the metal E6B?

If the answer is "any will do," that's ok too. I'd love to get one that'll last in the Florida heat but not have any fatal flaws. Thanks in advance.

Haven't had a problem with my ASA E6B, it's been pretty durable and hasn't scratched very easily. As for plotters, I lose them like crazy, but both the Sporty's and Jepp ones I've had were fine. I generally don't use the scale on the sliding part of the E6B unless my plotter's gone missing again and I need to eyeball something.

They're all pretty much the same operationally, but a metal whiz wheel lasts a lot longer and is a lot more durable than cardboard or plastic.

Fixed that for you :)

Nah, when you need absolute accuracy, you've gotta have one of these-

Kenny-with-giant-e6b.jpg

Ok, thanks everyone for the input. I'll go ahead and keep my order of the metal ASA E6B.

Re: the plotter: it's actually not clear to me how to use the semicircle for heading on the standalone plotters. The plotter I've used since I began training is a full 360 degree circle. I'm sure it'll be clear once I have one in my hand.

Too bad it's wrong. Electronic ones are more precise, not more accurate. Accuracy is limited by inputs. You can't measure a distance on a chart to 8 figures, so calculating to that precision is silly.

So isn't your massive plotter's accuracy also fully limited to the inputs? I assume you say bigger because you can see where the pointer lands between two numbers. That's called precision too.

Hello all.

My nifty Cessna Pilot Kit E6B/plotter combo warped in my car in the Florida heat.

Any suggestions on a replacement? Right now I have ordered the metal ASA E6B and the separate fixed plotter. Any cons to the metal E6B?

If the answer is "any will do," that's ok too. I'd love to get one that'll last in the Florida heat but not have any fatal flaws. Thanks in advance.

I've carried the small metal one for 34 years. Still works flawlessly.

Ok, thanks everyone for the input. I'll go ahead and keep my order of the metal ASA E6B.

Re: the plotter: it's actually not clear to me how to use the semicircle for heading on the standalone plotters. The plotter I've used since I began training is a full 360 degree circle. I'm sure it'll be clear once I have one in my hand.

I think they're easier in some ways. Both work just fine.

So isn't your massive plotter's accuracy also fully limited to the inputs? I assume you say bigger because you can see where the pointer lands between two numbers. That's called precision too.

Of course. But you CAN make distance measurements on the chart to three figures if you're careful, and match the E6-B's precision. So, in that case, it can be more accurate as well. Going much beyond that is pointless.

I've got a box full of them somewhere along with my collection of engineering sliderules.
None have seen the light of day in 20 years or so.

Of course. But you CAN make distance measurements on the chart to three figures if you're careful, and match the E6-B's precision. So, in that case, it can be more accurate as well. Going much beyond that is pointless.

OK I've got you. I thought you were talking about the whiz wheel portion and WCA part, not the ruler part. In that case, you need one of those anyway when using an electronic e6b.

OK I've got you. I thought you were talking about the whiz wheel portion and WCA part, not the ruler part. In that case, you need one of those anyway when using an electronic e6b.

There are many parts of the E-6B. Time/distance is one. Wind problems are another. Wind directions limit the latter; they are barely precise to one figure. But density altitude calculations, fuel burn calculations, and most of the others can have accuracy comparable to precision if you are careful about it.

But it's really quite wrong to say an electronic calculator is better in that regard. There are no cases where the whiz wheel's precision is inadequate, so the extra 5 figures you get from the electronic form have no consequence.

Portability is also a factor if it's going to be in the aircraft. This trades off with readability. I use a pocket size one, and you have to stare pretty close to it. The full size ones are substantially easier to read. That large-class demo one is a bit ridiculous....I doubt you could fit it through the door even on a 177 (the doors of which resemble a 1975 Buick).

Hello all.

Do you leave kids and small pets in the car in the Florida sun too? :D Man, I don't know how you guys do it down there. I've fried my hamstrings more than once getting into a car in Florida. :hairraise:

Fixed that for you :)

The electronic ones are certainly more accurate, but are pretty much worthless in extra bumpy conditions, or when your under stress, such as when your taking a check ride.

A good regular size metal E-6B will out perform an electronic one every time in the above conditions.

An electronic E-6B is a great tool for checking the results you came up with on your metal wiz wheel while practicing at home. It really helps to build your confidence.

Then leave the electronic one at home when you go flying.

Do not store your metal E-6B in a hot car or plane. The heat softens the glue and they fall apart.

I found that even after my check ride, with my little GPS attached to my yoke, that out of boredom on long trips, I pulled out my charts and E-6B and started testing myself against the GPS.

I never flew without paper charts and a metal E-6B on board.

-John

That large-class demo one is a bit ridiculous....I doubt you could fit it through the door even on a 177 (the doors of which resemble a 1975 Buick).

Works great for Fly Baby's and open cockpits - strap it down to the turtledeck and off ya go.

Hello all.

Huh, I've never seen one of those combo jobs... that's pretty cool.
But I do like the metal ones... I have a vintage one that I haven't used in flight, yet.

It's not very intuitive, but you'll get used to it quickly. Along the arc of the protractor part there are arrows to remind you which scale you should be using ("zero" to 180 or 180 to 360).

Nah, when you need absolute accuracy, you've gotta have one of these-

Kenny-with-giant-e6b.jpg

That's the size I need!
I use a CX2 in the plane because my old eyes just can read the tiny little print anymore when the plane is bouncing around.

Back