E-LSA Question

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Lets say I bought an Ultralight.

The FAA is currently allowing some ultralights to be certified in the Experimental-Light Sport category. What exactly is required for an Ultralight to meet this definition?

The only thing I can find for sure is that if it is a 2 place or more, it requires an ELT.

Thanks, John, I found that link, and that's what confuses me. It appears that the only criteria (from the EAA's article as well) is that it cannot qualify as Part 103 legal. That would mean putting a 10 gallon tank on the plane by itself could make it qualify, and that's what I'm wondering...exactly what is the minimum needed to be able to qualify as E-LSA...

Still on the search.

Thanks, John, I found that link, and that's what confuses me. It appears that the only criteria (from the EAA's article as well) is that it cannot qualify as Part 103 legal. That would mean putting a 10 gallon tank on the plane by itself could make it qualify, and that's what I'm wondering...exactly what is the minimum needed to be able to qualify as E-LSA...

Still on the search.

I haven't got time to read the link, but I suspect you are interpreting something backwards. It doesn't seem likely that something that qualifies for part 103 couldn't be licensed as E-LSA, heck there have been plenty of experimental homebuilts that could qualify for part 103 even before the LSA became reality. It makes more sense to me to say that E-LSA is "required" for ultralight aircraft that don't meet part 103, not that a part 103 legal ultralight can't be an E-LSA. IOW inclusion is not the same as inverse exclusion.

Still on the search.

Nothing, it's not a restrictive thing, it's an inclusive thing. If your ultralight no longer qualifies under pt 103, you can submit it as E-LSA, get your SP rating and fly with a self certifying medical. It's mostly about the two seat ultralights giving them a way to operate legally while carrying a passenger. Previously they could only take a second person for a "demonstration for sale" or training flight. If your machine does qualify under 103, you wouldn't want to bother putting it under E-LSA as under part 103, you require no certification whatsoever.

I believe everyone's correct, you can take a legal part 103 machine and wave your magic wand and have an LSA. That lets you fly over congested areas, where with a legal UL you couldn't. Same machine, different rules.

Back