Dynon For the Win!

Calum Brown

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Calum B
Wow we're super busy with the Dynon and Avidyne Installs, they're turning out to be a great package together! I can't wait for the autopilot to be STCd in more aircraft (I know it's coming- it will help when the FAA reopens!) as the Dynon autopilot we've put in experimentals is really a powerful system. After some research we found we were the least expensive place around for providing new instrument panels with these installs as well as zero sales tax- huzzah!
More pics and info available on request :)
IMG_8148-1.jpg
Glasair 3

IMG_9019.jpg
Mooney K 231

IMG_9056.jpg
C182P

IMG_7709.jpg
PA28-140

What on earth does a 'TXP MUT' button do? Bark? Wag a tail while having questionable parentage?

What on earth does a 'TXP MUT' button do? Bark? Wag a tail while having questionable parentage?

lol the owner used to have altitude and traffic alerts from the transponder to the audio panel. That button used to mute those alerts, now it can be repurposed :)

Too bad about the autopilot, I've been eyeballing the DynonCertified for a while now. It seems they're really dragging their feet on the Autopilot side.

The autopilot is great, I might have to start window shopping A36's again once that's approved.

Have been wanting to upgrade the panel in the old PA32-300. Think Dynon has me over Garmin for a number of reasons. Talked to the Dynon people and since their AP wasn't certified yet and they suggested tru-trak if waiting wasn't an option. What company directs you to a competitor when they can't deliver right now. No "just wait til next year". With Tru-trak being sold I think I'm gonna wait until Dynon has there A/P ready.

I'm in Illinois....no sales tax you say?? Thats a foreign concept to me!

Too bad about the autopilot, I've been eyeballing the DynonCertified for a while now. It seems they're really dragging their feet on the Autopilot side.

I don't think it's Dynon. It's the FAA. Spoke with the Dynon people earlier this year and everything ground to a halt from the FAA when COVID started. Garmin seems to get a rubber stamp because they've been through the process before. Being Dynon's first rodeo into certified and obviously being smaller they get looked at a little differently. The process is why certified aircraft anything is so damn spendy vs experimental.

Didn’t Boeing get a lot of rubber stamping with the MAX? How’d that work out for them? I think the FAA is going to be a little more thorough with certification processes moving forward.

Once a company has gone through the certification process, they (should) have some understanding of the process. If the company has a collective IQ above that of a pet rock, they should be able to figure out how to make the process less onerous financially (some companies are better than others when figuring out that slapping a certification process on top of their existing developement/production process is just about the dumbest way to do it).

With an established company, with established processes (e.g., processes already known to be acceptable to the FAA), the "ease" with which certification approvals are obtained might appear to be a "rubber stamp" to an outsider.

Once a company has gone through the certification process, they (should) have some understanding of the process. If the company has a collective IQ above that of a pet rock, they should be able to figure out how to make the process less onerous financially (some companies are better than others when figuring out that slapping a certification process on top of their existing developement/production process is just about the dumbest way to do it).

With an established company, with established processes (e.g., processes already known to be acceptable to the FAA), the "ease" with which certification approvals are obtained might appear to be a "rubber stamp" to an outsider.
So . . . what exactly is your point?

So . . . what exactly is your point?

maybe it'll help to say:

1) generally, people grossly overestimate what it really takes to go through the certification process.

2) generally, people mistake "rubber stamp" with efficient certification compliance

and I'll add

3) generally, people don't understand quality control.

Back