DVR to DVD

It's a Motorola box from Comcast. A lady at the Comcast center told me once you can do it, and she even told me how, but darned if I can remember.

It's a Motorola box from Comcast. A lady at the Comcast center told me once you can do it, and she even told me how, but darned if I can remember.

The only way I imagine is if you buy a DVD recorder and play the output of the DVR into it. The quality would suck lots.

The Moto has a Firewire port but the last I heard it doesn't do anything.

The MPAA does not want you to be able to make a digital copy.

I can do it on my TiVo with a few tweaks if the copy flag isn't set. TiVo2Go lets you copy the program to a PC. Burning to DVD from there AFAIK, just takes renaming the file and converting it in the burning program. I've never done it (yet).

Thanks Mike. I recorded a couple of old movies that you don't see very often and I thought it would be nice if I could burn them to DVD to free up space on the DVR.

The Moto has a Firewire port but the last I heard it doesn't do anything.
Depends on who the cable operator is.

I understand that there are hacks to unlock it. ;) ;)

But if that is too much trouble you play the movie and take the baseband video output and input into your computer video input.

I tried what I believe is a variation on the instructions found here a year or so ago. According to the doc, it'll only stream live TV to the PC via the Firewire port... I tested that and it worked, but I never did anything beyond a few minutes' worth of "proof-of-concept". It may or may not work while playing stuff you already have recorded.

What I wish was possible is the ability to "copy" the video files off the DVR and onto a PC for burning... And I bet there is a hack to do that. I just haven't found one.

I tried what I believe is a variation on the instructions found here a year or so ago. According to the doc, it'll only stream live TV to the PC via the Firewire port... I tested that and it worked, but I never did anything beyond a few minutes' worth of "proof-of-concept". It may or may not work while playing stuff you already have recorded.

What I wish was possible is the ability to "copy" the video files off the DVR and onto a PC for burning... And I bet there is a hack to do that. I just haven't found one.
Rev, if you do find it PM me the instructions. B)

Comcrap, Dish, or DirectTV no.

I do it with my Dish HD DVR, Mike... :) Not saying it doesn't require some tools*, but it can be done. Which reminds me, I need to get that program about Spike's grandma onto DVD for him. Weekend project incoming!

* PVR Explorer. You do have to pull the hard drive out of the unit, install some software to allow you to read the Unix filesystem from your Windows PC, etc., but it does work, and works well. And it's free. :) I should write up a step-by-step for it, as there are a few things that took me a while to figure out (such as how to get the hard drive to spin up on the Windows PC).

Another link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pvrexplorer-pro

Don't pay too much attention to the receiver model list they say they support; I have an HD DVR VIP622 from Dish, and this software works fine from it.

Last edited:
I do it with my Dish HD DVR, Mike... :) Not saying it doesn't require some tools*, but it can be done. Which reminds me, I need to get that program about Spike's grandma onto DVD for him. Weekend project incoming!

* PVR Explorer. You do have to pull the hard drive out of the unit, install some software to allow you to read the Unix filesystem from your Windows PC, etc., but it does work, and works well. And it's free. :) I should write up a step-by-step for it, as there are a few things that took me a while to figure out (such as how to get the hard drive to spin up on the Windows PC).

Another link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pvrexplorer-pro

Don't pay too much attention to the receiver model list they say they support; I have an HD DVR VIP622 from Dish, and this software works fine from it.

Suuurre. Got that Frank?

I haven't doen that yet to my old TiVos, mostly because instructions going back through 6 years of revisions are conflicting and convoluted and I speak UNIX.

Some shows may be encrypted. For encrypted shows you can't decode them unless you hacked the receiver ahead of time to disable encryption except the following utilities will decrypted them if you haven't hacked it except if the rev is version 2.x or higher in which case use nnnn but ONLY ON ENCRYPTED shows and you won't get the program guide data except nnn will get if you do the following to match it up but only version 3.x or higher on models DSR6nnn or lower.....)

Back